Linux Workstation Connect 2 Windows 2000 Server

Our org had 2 computer labs, 1 running on windows 2000 professinal and the other lab running on Mandrake 8.2. All the windows 2000 workstation in lab1 is connected to a domain controller (TECH). We do not have any Linux Server? Can we connect the Linux Workstation in Lab 2 to the TECH domain controller? The reason here is so that we can share files between the windows 2000 workstation and linux workstation. It is cool.

All the lab had network cards and cables.

Just wondering. :blink:

Regards,

Chua Wen Ching

Samba can do all these even i do not have any linux server? Linux connect to Window 2000 Server.. So i install samba on the local workstation or windows 2000 server?

Regards,

Chua Wen Ching :blink:

I want to install the samba on each workstation because i do not want to implement any linux server (no reasons - my boss don't allow).

But is samba easy to configure?

From,

Chua Wen Ching :rolleyes:

But is samba easy to configure?

Yes, if you actually go to samba's website and read the docs. There have awful plenty docs about Samba, that's why I told you to search in the google.com first.

Oh thanks. Had you configure samba before mezz?

I want to connect the server for files sharing, printers and of course internet access? Can i use samba to map a linux drive to connect a file server (Windows 2000 server)? Something like Windows...

map drive : Z:\

map path : \\Haha\Students\WenChing

Regards,

Chua Wen Ching :unsure:

I will not answer anymore, not until you actually go to Samba's website.. It already answered to whole of your questions if you read in the doc link area. Don't be lazy.. :p

Edited by mezz

You can connect to the internet by configuring your network settings correctly.

You can print to a windows 2000 print server by using the Line Printer Daemon (LPD) Service on windows 2000 and configuring your client.

You can share files with Samba.

Ok i will learn all by myself? Thanks for everything...actually i am not lazy but want to confirm whether i am on a right track before learning something new...

:laugh:

Regards,

Chua Wen Ching