Vista - Tips, Tricks & Tweaks

Does someone have the same program, but then only with a minimalize functionality? So a Minall instead of a MinUnMinall?

I'll get on it asap. :)

At long last, how to get glass in maximized windows:

Glass in Maximized Windows @ Aeroxp.org

Thanks! - check post #26 :laugh:

Does anyone know how to hide a drive? I have a drive that I want to hide (like we used to be able to do using TweakUI).

You can use TweakUI in Vista (Compatibility Mode), most of the tweaks still work the same way in Vista.

For some strange reason I have a new folder showing up in the control panel. Does anyone know how to reset the control panel to the default configuration or to remove the new folder?

You can try to remove the folder with Shell Object Editor.

This thread has some information on How to disable the media view in windows explorer? [Media view being the the view that shows "Tags", "Date taken", and "Rating column for new folders

Thanks,.. great tip! :)

Getting all network devices and storage devices to show

If like me you have other devices on your network, such as another PC running Linux or Mac, or some remote storage you might find vista will not see them in the network or refuse to connect to them.

This happened with my mac, were vista saw the mac on the network but would not let me login to it.

So to get these devices working do the following:

Click on the Start Button and in the search bar key in secpol.msc and then hit enter.

When the Local Security Policy editor has loaded, expand Local Policies (on the left side) and select Security Options.

Scroll through the list (right side) and locate "Network Security: LAN Manager authentication level." Right click on this setting and select Properties.

Change the setting to "Send LM & NTML - use NTLMv2 session security if negotiated"

Hit OK and your NAS will work again. -> Read Here

Works like a charm! :D

Just want to point out that going back to NTLM and LM is a VERY big step *backwards* as far as security goes.

If you are not on a HOME NETWORK.... DON'T DO IT!

In a corp. or other "less private" setting this let's others sniff your admin password hash and crack it in as little as 10 minutes. NTLMv2 takes exponential amounts of time more....

@ Computer Guru: thanks for the info,.. I use it as a temp workaround, when I don't need it I change it back to default.

New: Take Ownership Context Menu Item (more info & zip at post #1)

TakeOwn.reg adds a Take Ownership Context Menu Item to all files and folders.

It recovers full access to the selected file / directory, sub directories and their content.

You can access the Context Menu Item by holding down Shift + right-click on a file or folder.

New: Reg files that change the Default Action of the Start Menu Power Button to Shutdown, Hibernate or Sleep.

New: Add Internet Explorer to the Desktop (more info & zip at post #1)

Thanks. Do you know of one that will change the Lock Computer button to Restart?

I don't think that it's possible to change it with a registry edit, but I'll look into it.

I've updated the Take Ownership Context Menu Item; It uses an Elevated Command Prompt + I've fixed a filename problem.

You can access the Context Menu Item by holding down Shift + right-click on a file or folder.

    TakeOwn.png

If you want to access the Take Ownership Context Menu Item on an exe file, you must merge "RunAsAdmin_Exe-.reg"; this reg file removes the "Run as Administrator" Context Menu Item from all exe files (they both use the runas key). Merge "RunAsAdmin_Exe+.reg" if you want to restore the "Run as Administrator" Context Menu Item.

+ @ request: MinAll.zip :)

Edited by Herby

Slick Shortcuts for Vista

Here are a couple quick shortcuts for the Advanced Settings dialog in Vista (which normally takes about 5 clicks to get to from the Personalize page)

Create a new shortcut (on your desktop, for example) and use this as the path:

"C:\Windows\system32\rundll32.exe" Shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL desk.cpl,appearance,@appearance

It will bring up the Appearance Settings dialog

This shortcut will display the advanced power options dialog:

Create a new shortcut (on your desktop, for example) and use this as the path:

"C:\Windows\system32\rundll32.exe" shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL PowerCfg.cpl @0,/editplan:

(This assumes that Windows is installed on your C:\ drive)

Enjoy!

Is there a way i could make a shortcut for turning on and off dwm.exe? WHen i'm playing games i have no need for the glass effect, just uses up to much ram.

(This assumes that Windows is installed on your C:\ drive)

Try using %WinDir% instead of C:\Windows :)

Is there a way i could make a shortcut for turning on and off dwm.exe? WHen i'm playing games i have no need for the glass effect, just uses up to much ram.

The DWM should unload automatically when you launch a game.

Turn off the DWM service: %WinDir%\System32\net.exe stop uxsms

Turn on the DWM service: %WinDir%\System32\net.exe start uxsms

New: MMBF3D (Middle Mouse Button Flip3D)

This program turns the Middle Mouse Button into a Flip3D Key.

It runs hidden in the background, you can close it with Task Manager.

Usage: Press and hold the Middle Mouse Button.

Scroll and / or point to the program or window that you want to activate.

Release the mouse button (more info @ post #1).

New: Convert web widgets into gadgets for Windows Sidebar

New: Make your Admin account act like in XP (guide by Tantawi)

I just got Vista up and running on my new PC last night and maaaaaan this is a huge step up from my previous system. This tweaks guide is very handy, thank you very much everyone!

I just got Vista up and running on my new PC last night and maaaaaan this is a huge step up from my previous system. This tweaks guide is very handy, thank you very much everyone!

Congrats on the upgrade!

Vista is a great product! :D

I've updated the "Show/Hide System Files" Context Menu Item (SuperHidden)

It Hides or Unhides the System & Hidden Files + refreshes the directory.

? fixed the menu popup.

? moved the command to the Extended Context Menu to reduce clutte:) :)

-> you can access the Context Menu Item by holding down Shift + right-click on a folder.

More info & download @ post #1

Edited by Herby

I'm having a problem with the RemoveArrow.zip file. After I install the remove arrow file and log off or restart I get a blank icon overlay on top of the icon instead of the arrow just being removed (see photo).

Is there any solution to this problem?

post-195409-1172858883.jpg

Did you put blank.ico in system32 or windows folder

I didn't install the blank icon file, only the remove icon file. Am I supposed to install the blank icon file also?

I didn't install the blank icon file, only the remove icon file. Am I supposed to install the blank icon file also?

Yes,.. copy Blank.ico to the Windows directory from Vista, so if you installed Vista on the D drive, copy it to D:\Windows\

+ Restart to apply. :)

I remeber back in XP I found a tweak that could place the recycle bin inside the "My Computer" window togheter with all the hard drives and stuff.

Is this possible with Vista?

How do I disable IE7 from opening sites configured for different Zones in different windows? I know that this is supposed to be a security feature, but it bugs the crap out of me.

Update: I've updated MMBF3D and renamed it to MTSwitcher.

This program turns the Mouse into a Task Switcher without losing the functionality of the Mouse Buttons.

Hotkeys:

Double Click Middle Mouse Button -> Window Switcher (Flip3D)

Right Mouse Button + Scroll Up/Down -> Cycle through programs on the Taskbar*

Right Mouse Button + Back Button -> Minimize All

Right Mouse Button + Forward Button -> UnMinimize All

Right Mouse Button + Middle Mouse Button -> Task Manager

* When you release the Right Mouse Button it activates the selected program.

More info & download @ Post #1.

Is there a registry tweak to make the live thumbnail on the tasbar bigger?

Not that I know of but I'll look into it.

I remeber back in XP I found a tweak that could place the recycle bin inside the "My Computer" window togheter with all the hard drives and stuff.

Is this possible with Vista?

The attached zip contains 2 reg files:

My Computer+.reg -> Adds Administrative Tools, the Control Panel, Network Connections, Printers, the Recycle Bin & System to My Computer.

You can edit the reg file and remove the ones that you don't want to add. :)

My Computer-.reg -> Removes them from My Computer.

MyComp.zip

How do I disable IE7 from opening sites configured for different Zones in different windows? I know that this is supposed to be a security feature, but it bugs the crap out of me.

Internet Options -> Security Tab -> Select a Zone -> Custom Level... -> Scroll down to "Navigate sub-Frames across different domains" -> Set to Enable :)

The attached zip contains 2 reg files:

My Computer+.reg -> Adds Administrative Tools, the Control Panel, Network Connections, Printers, the Recycle Bin & System to My Computer.

You can edit the reg file and remove the ones that you don't want to add.

My Computer-.reg -> Removes them from My Computer.

MyComp.zip ( 1.21k ) Number of downloads: 0

Awsome! That worked great! Thanks alot :)

Start programs like a Mac:

You can click and drag your mouse up to any item on the start menu, release the mouse button and it will launch. Neat.

This also applies to the "power" buttons.

Update: I've updated MMBF3D and renamed it to MTSwitcher.

This program turns the Mouse into a Task Switcher without losing the functionality of the Mouse Buttons.

Hotkeys:

Double Click Middle Mouse Button -> Window Switcher (Flip3D)

Right Mouse Button + Scroll Up/Down -> Cycle through programs on the Taskbar*

Right Mouse Button + Back Button -> Minimize All

Right Mouse Button + Forward Button -> UnMinimize All

Right Mouse Button + Middle Mouse Button -> Task Manager

* When you release the Right Mouse Button it activates the selected program.

I've tried to copy the MSvcr71.dll file to the System32 directory but it won't let me overwrite the old version. How would I do this? (I've tried taking ownership of the file & also tried deleting the old version).

Also is there any way I could map it to activate by using a different mouse button? (single click with a thumb button on the mouse).

Your assumption is incorrect.

Anytime an application locks the primary display buffer, the DWM automatically shuts off or "unloads" if you will. A game running in full screen mode will always cause the DWM to turn off and revert to the basic theme. There is absolutely no need to turn it off before you launch a game unless you are running the game in windowed mode. Age of Empires III, for example, can run windowed with Glass enabled; the performance impact of the DWM is minimal in this scenario.