[Release] Universal UXTheme Patcher v2.1

October 11, 2006 - Version 2.1

Hopefully this is the last update until a new unsupported uxtheme file comes around. Anyway this update fixes a few small bugs and I managed to make it 22kb smaller than 2.0. (66.5kb vs 88kb)

October 8, 2006 - Version 2.0

I have updated the Universal UXTheme Patcher to v2.0. This release adds support for every uxtheme file currently out in existence and INCLUDES 64-BIT SUPPORT! I reworked the layout a little and fixed some file versions. Rafael Rivera had a few mistakes in his uxtheme repository that I notified him about and it has been updated as well. Every file found in the uxtheme repository is supported in this release (minus Vista).

screenshot.jpg

About

The Universal UXTheme Patcher is a tool that allows you to use unsigned, 3rd party visual styles in Windows XP, without having to use a program such as StyleXP. It works by patching out the part of uxtheme.dll that checks for the signature. This means that once the file is patched, that is it. The tool does not run in the background or anything like that.

The utility is only 66.5kb. Since this tool is so small, I am granting permission for any visual style (msstyle) creators to include it in their visual style releases. The only thing I ask is that you credit me (flyakite) in your release notes somewhere.

System Requirements

This tool will work on any operating system based on XP (Tablet, MCE, Server 2003) including 64bit versions.

Features

The utility also supports silent patching. Simply run the installer with the "/S" switch (case sensitive). During silent patching, if the patch is successful you will not be notified, it will simply remain silent. If the patch is unsuccessful however, the utility will notify you even with the /S switch.

Credits

Logo designed by Fer

Supported by Rafael Rivera (vorte[x])

What's different from this and WindowsX' patcher?

If you are wondering why I made this when there is already a tool out for this, it is because I wasn't satisfied with WindowsX version. It is slow, often alerts users about weird nt setup files on the C:\, and replaces files in a very uneffecient manner that results in Windows File Protection dialogs. My tool does none of that. His tool is also is 569kb and is less successful at doing the same thing my tool does at 65.5kb.

DOWNLOAD

Edited by flyakite

Can i install this over WindowX's?

Umm yes, but if you already have a patched uxtheme file and are using 3rd party visual styles, then you don't need to.... so I'm not sure why you would. But anyway, the short answer is yes.

Just a quick update. I spent the entirety of last night installing Windows XP x64 in VMware and doing some research and hex comparisons, and am in the process of updating the installer to support 64bit Windows uxtheme files. I have tested it and it works successfully. You can expect v2.0 probably later today or tomorrow morning.

Updated to v2.1 (fixed a few bugs I missed when adding 64bit compatibility), and figured out a way to do some things differently so that I could make the tool even smaller (66.5kb total now). Supports all uxtheme files (other than Vista) and takes about 1 second to patch.

Edited by flyakite

Such a big word for edited text, huh? Who actually want to blame you for making one more patcher? There're plenty ones out there already even before I made it. Don't take it so personally, dude. Anyway, there's bug in your patcher. If user runs it multiple times, PendingFileRenameOperations registry will be appended again and uxtheme.dll file will be lost.

Edited by Windows X

Very nice.instantly worked. no sfc warnings.

@winX: i think he was stating his reason before he was asked why he made another one. I tried yours it didnt suck but it didnt work right.

Such a big word for edited text, huh? Who actually want to blame you for making one more patcher? There're plenty ones out there already even before I made it. Don't take it so personally, dude. Anyway, there's bug in your patcher. If user runs it multiple times, PendingFileRenameOperations registry will be appended again and uxtheme.dll file will be lost.

Uhh what? Okay I changed it to say "What is different from this and WindowsX' patcher?" The reason I even put the info in the release at all is because if I don't everyone's first comment is "What's different about yours from WindowsX' version?" I'm not saying yours sucks, I'm saying why I made mine, and what it does differently than yours. I also made mine originally for internal use with FlyakiteOSX, so I wouldn't have to rely on other people to keep their patchers updated and so that it could be run silently. Since then I've released the tool publicly and have been trying to keep it as updated as possible.

I don't think yours sucks, but there are definitely flaws, most notably Windows File Protection dialogs and NT Setup file warnings.

Also, as to the PendingFileRenameOperations business, I just tested it by running the patcher 4 times without restarting, so I had 4 sets of entries in PendingFileRenameOperations. Restarted, still had Luna. Downloaded a 3rd-party VS, and it worked fine. You do NOT lose uxtheme.dll. Actually test it before you comment please.

Edited by flyakite

WindowsX,

flyakite has developed the only patcher that patches the correct bytes, 100% of the time. All the other patchers out there, including your own, search for a hard-coded pattern of bytes. As I've told you before, this method puts the user at risk of patching the wrong set of bytes. :no:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I ran the patcher, restarted. Place the msstyle in the resources folder under windows...nothing. Restarted thinking it had to refresh?...still nothing. Any suggestions :)

*Edit: never mind, it was just the theme i was trying to install...was nice too :( :p

Edited by Elessar

• 1 month later...

This is my first post on this forum, so excuse my ignorance. I'm assuming this Theme Patcher can be implemented into a good unattended install (my definition of good may differ from yours).

I got a late start on the whole unattended install bit, so I'm still working on making an unattended install disk that does everything. I've hit a lot of roadblocks, but --thus far-- there have been work-around. For instance, on Microsofts knowledge base site, it said that XP wouldn't boot and install from a DVD.... not true. It can be done.

The purpose is to have the unattended install, updates, hotfixes (if needed), configuration, and third party security software all installed using one disc with no interaction. Getting closer. Third party security software has taken some time to get familiar with the command line switches for proper install using some batch file(s), and then the batch file has to pull a script to set the 3rd party prog up with the correct options. I found it intriguing at first, but now just want to have something that works.

Sorry to ramble, the question was: Can this (any of these "theme changers" be implemented directly using the unattended crap (automated supplied by MS), or will I be writing more batch files?

Hi :)

My first post so be gentle!

I just tried to use the Neowin UXTheme Multi-Patcher v4.0 to allow a female friend to use the Quevista style on her PC but it brings up a error stating something about a 16 bit MSDOS subsystem...

Any ideas what could have caused this?

Also.. will this patcher be a better option?

Thanks for any help :)