Photo

OMG, I got a warning! Now what?

• Please log in to reply
641 replies to this topic

#16 kombolcha

kombolcha

Sexy

Posted 06 October 2006 - 17:40

I just asked an admin (it had been some crazy long time like a year and I was at 20%) and they got rid of my warning for me. :)

it was said they wont be doing manual reductions... but if it is being done and an admin is reading this. please.. it's been a year and some months now.

Exactly. I think the biggest issue comes when people refuse to take a breath before saying anything. We all make mistakes and the warning level is a realization of this simple fact of life.

i just want to change my name.

#17 Lasker

Lasker

Neowinian Senior

Posted 06 October 2006 - 17:42

I got mine for over a year as well :no:

#18 Joel

Joel

Neowinian Senior

Posted 06 October 2006 - 17:44

I just asked an admin (it had been some crazy long time like a year and I was at 20%) and they got rid of my warning for me. :)

Interesting, as there's nothing in your logs to corroborate that. :blink:

#19 OP vetFred Derf

Fred Derf

Klaatu barada nikto

Posted 06 October 2006 - 17:44

How come the warning level reducer is taking so long to fix? i coded a fully functioning one in about 15mins :|

There were complications that results from zero level warnings. Zero level warnings are used in two ways.

1) They can be used to educate a member about a rule where we do not feel a full warning is required.
2) The system will not allow us to give a warning level increase to a member who is already at 100%. If we want to restrict them for 30 days as a punishment for a new offence we need to do it as a zero level warning.

The warning reduction system was only looking at time since their last warning level increase and because of that, some members at 100% were getting their warning level reduced to 80% shortly after being warned again. It didn't make much sense to reward someone for re-committing an offence so we temporarily stopped it.

My understanding is that the front page will soon go to PR8 and then most front page development work will stop (except for bug fixes). At this point the coders will be able to fix the AWRS.

So, if you see PR8 released then hopefully the AWRS will be restored shortly after. It will be retroactive.

#20 Brian M.

Brian M.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 10

Posted 06 October 2006 - 17:48

Damn you fred... i was all ready to let off some steam at a n00b when i see this thread title on the main page :p

It would be nice to have warnings reduced, and although they dont really mean anything, its always there in the corner of your eye :p

#21 OP vetFred Derf

Fred Derf

Klaatu barada nikto

Posted 06 October 2006 - 17:49

According to the logs, your warning(s) were clearly reduced by the automatic warning reduction system. Perhaps you asked for it to be removed shortly before it was scheduled and you assumed an admin did it for you manually.

#22 miniM3

miniM3

Neowinian

Posted 06 October 2006 - 17:52

lol my warnings are @ 60% (or 3 out of 5) for over a year. I just thought it was 5 strikes and ur outa here!!!!!!!

#23 Ferret

Ferret

Neowinian Senior

Posted 06 October 2006 - 17:54

Will be good to have the AWRS back - I've had mine at 20% for sometime, but i'm not so bothered about it.

#24 flapjackman176

flapjackman176

Pancake Man

Posted 06 October 2006 - 17:54

yeah, ive also been on a warning level of about %40 for a real long time..

#25 C_Guy

C_Guy

"Silent Alarm Activated!"

Posted 06 October 2006 - 17:58

I would also like to remind everyone that moderators cannot be at all places at all times (although we try :p). We need members to assist us by reporting potentially inappropriate content or conduct. Thank you for your support and, hopefully, for your understanding.

Can you please tell us exactly how to go about reporting inappropriate comments on a news article or forum? Who should we notify and how?

Thanks!

#26 DaveLegg

DaveLegg

Coderator at heart

• Tech Issues Solved: 10

Posted 06 October 2006 - 18:02

Can you please tell us exactly how to go about reporting inappropriate comments on a news article or forum? Who should we notify and how?

Thanks!

For forum posts you can hit the report button under the post in question, for news comments, you'll have to pm a member of staff, it they can't deal with it, they can forward it to the relevent staff member(s) for you.

#27 vetbangbang023

bangbang023

Silent Veteran

Posted 06 October 2006 - 18:03

Thanks!

On the forums, use the "report" button located on every single post. This will create a back log where staff can look over each report and determine if action needs to be taken. Just remember, the action you believe should be taken is not always what will occur.

#28 vetAndrew Lyle

Andrew Lyle

Don't Panic!

Posted 06 October 2006 - 22:02

as a many who has had 5 warnings, and 2 suspensions, and a few minor warnings, i relised that ****ing people off on neowin wasn't worth the time lost here. This community is great and i respect this forum very much. Ive gotten to love coming here daily, reading the news and replying to jokes and helping people out, also asking questions.

trust me guys, you may think it's funny, but neowin is #1 in my books for forums, and not being able to spend time here (suspensions and bannings) isn't fun.

#29 metallithrax

metallithrax

I saw you earlier, with the hairy stick....

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Sony Xperia U (android 4.0.4)

Posted 06 October 2006 - 22:10

Q. So why does Neowin have rules anyway?
A. Neowin's community rules serve three main purposes.
  • They protect members from abuse.
    Neowin wants members to respect other members at all times. Members should feel free to express their opinions without being personally attacked by online bullies. This is not Survivor:Neowin where the most aggressive member left standing is the winner. Neowin is both diverse and international and thus we are trying to maintain a friendly community here. Thus we do not want to see examples of hatred towards any group (race, sex, orientation, nationality or religion).
How can the 1st bolded part be implemented without enforcing the 2nd bolded part, therefore negating the 1st bolded part?

#30 Steven P.

Steven P.

aka Neobond

• Tech Issues Solved: 60

Posted 06 October 2006 - 22:11

Members should feel free to express their opinions but without abusing other members, is that so hard to understand? There are plenty of forums that encourage flame-bait, we don't.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!