OMG, I got a warning! Now what?

Well, the warning system is intended to be corrective in nature. It's our hopes that by pointing out inn appropriate behavior, we can guide members within the acceptable posting bounds while still allowing them to express themselves. Unfortunately, some people see a warning as unjust punishment instead of behavioral suggestions. It's part of the job, I guess, but the amount of attacks I've received not only on Neowin, but on my own personal website and other sites around the web, is a bit astounding.

Oh, my, god.

BEHAVIORAL SUGGESTIONS

:rofl: I'm going to die soon...

Oh, my, god.

:rofl: I'm going to die soon...

Well, it is. I never tell someone how to act, simply suggest a more appropriate manner for interacting with other people. You know, like civilized human beings.

how come my 20% warning is not going down? it has been 10 months.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say "read the whole thread." Personally I don't mind having my warning, I know what it was there for so I try not to do it again (I just vent about people where I can't get in trouble :p)

All of mine were piracy based... X.x

I don't talk about that kinda stuff on here now.

Haha, same for me... in hindsight I completely deserved it, big stuff up on my part

Sounds like the new site is coming along nicely, PR8 and 2.2 sound like a lot of fun :yes:

How do i go about increasing the warning levels of some of the mods and sups here? :shiftyninja:

Any warns i hace got ot may get will be for reacting to some idiot with dumbass opinions....i cant help it....fighting irish mentality..:/

How do i go about increasing the warning levels of some of the mods and sups here? :shiftyninja:

If it concerns a fmod/gmod then contact a Supervisor.

If it concerns a Supervisor then contact an Admin.

If it concerns an Admin then... well... :whistle:

It's a warning level? I just thought it was a guide to tell you how soon you needed to create yet another new account under a proxy IP address. They're a bit pointless aren't they? Aside from giving the staff something to throw around when the tantrums take them that way.

It's a warning level? I just thought it was a guide to tell you how soon you needed to create yet another new account under a proxy IP address. They're a bit pointless aren't they? Aside from giving the staff something to throw around when the tantrums take them that way.
:laugh: :rofl: :p :shiftyninja:

Despite the initial post and the ensuing replies, I still feel that you can't divorce the feeling of being warned or, shock horror "educated" (<- give me a break!) from the supposed reality that warnings are given because Neowinians are "loved"..... I think some moderators in particular are too quick to fire off warnings and in fact seem to revel in doing so, even admitting their exuberance.... Those that do that are simply getting off on the "power" of it and it's written clearly in the language they use..... "educate"?...... Sheesh..... The penal system of Neowin.... The cornerstone of any nutritious website!

Despite the initial post and the ensuing replies, I still feel that you can't divorce the feeling of being warned or, shock horror "educated" (<- give me a break!) from the supposed reality that warnings are given because Neowinians are "loved"..... I think some moderators in particular are too quick to fire off warnings and in fact seem to revel in doing so, even admitting their exuberance.... Those that do that are simply getting off on the "power" of it and it's written clearly in the language they use..... "educate"?...... Sheesh..... The penal system of Neowin.... The cornerstone of any nutritious website!

The penal system only kicks in when we start restricting someone. Not every member reads the community rules and many members are used to other forums where members are expected to just fend for themselves. It is fairly common for a member to reply that they didn't know, that they won't do it again and some even thank me for warning them. Most of those members never get a warning again. We really have very few members that are unable to learn to live with our community rules and need actual punishments. Some we eventually have to give up on. They may return through a proxy but they don't typically last very long.

Our job as moderators is to place the needs of the community above the needs (or wants) of the individual. I gather that some people have trouble not calling an ###### an ###### even when everyone else on the forum can instinctively see that they are. Just let it go. Report the post if you want but anyone who feels their manhood is at stake must have little faith in themselves. Seriously, our rules are not that hard to adapt to. Basically be a nice person that others would want to be friends with. It is a good lesson for life too.

Members who stick around through the teen years will often literally grow up on Neowin and become productive members of the community.

I gather that some people have trouble not calling an ###### an ###### even when everyone else on the forum can instinctively see that they are. Just let it go.

Oh damm i do try, but im weak, not immature just weak, if som1 is been a troll or an ###### (oh that kinda rhymes) it really gets under my skin..I supose its because it the type of person i am in the real world, if i meet som1 who acts like a bully, i need to put that person in their place as many ppl are afraid to speak up, or if somone starts spouting absolute garbage such as "depression is not an illness just cheer up" i need to enlighten them. Unfortuatly either my temper or vocabulary falls short.

:/

Oh damm i do try, but im weak, not immature just weak, if som1 is been a troll or an ###### (oh that kinda rhymes) it really gets under my skin..I supose its because it the type of person i am in the real world, if i meet som1 who acts like a bully, i need to put that person in their place as many ppl are afraid to speak up, or if somone starts spouting absolute garbage such as "depression is not an illness just cheer up" i need to enlighten them. Unfortuatly either my temper or vocabulary falls short.

You have no idea how much I agree with you :yes: .

Members who stick around through the teen years will often literally grow up on Neowin and become productive members of the community.

I can attest to this.

Reading over my early posts back in '04 and early '05, I've seen some definite maturing and I've calmed down a lot. I really have to give credit to the community here, as a lot of you guys have influenced me in a positive way.

I've got one warning and I'm not afraid to admit it because I understand why I received it and it was well-deserved. The only people that try to challenge rightful warnings are the closed-minded among us who don't see themselves and don't want to change.

:rofl:

I just glanced over the threads, not really thinking about stickies, and saw this one from Fred Derf going on about "OMG I got a warning!" and thought he was freaking out from one placed on himself. ;)

But then again, who knows which warnings could lurk on his profile?? :ninja:

Pity the moderators dont! :laugh:
Oh, they will... When they finally break down and make me an Admin :shiftyninja: :p

I joined here when I was 14; four years ago. I still can't believe some of the **** I said back in the day.

i know. lol. i think my very first thread on neowin was deleted :laugh: i forgot which mod or admin sent me the pm, i think at that time they didn't have the warn system.. not sure though.. but i've grown.

Edit: :rofl: my first PM, i still have it.

jebusjuice,

Your thread titled "Which Is Better, 2 chicks" has been removed. Threads like this don't have a place on neowin, people aren't going to be able to help you decide. Please refrain from posting threads like this.

Thanks,

aco

Edit: :rofl: my first PM, i still have it.

jebusjuice,

Your thread titled "Which Is Better, 2 chicks" has been removed. Threads like this don't have a place on neowin, people aren't going to be able to help you decide. Please refrain from posting threads like this.

Thanks,

aco

LMAO :laugh: :p :rofl:

I agree with you 100%

I try to ignore someone when they're acting in a way where they make themselves out to be better than others or when someone is bashing a user for no reason at all. Sometimes you just can't ignore it and let it go on. Especially when the person being bashed isn't trying to take up for themselves or nobody else tries or mods don't see what's going on or just ignore it all together. It gets pretty old really quick. I don't see it happening as much as it used to though.

I agree with you 100%

I try to ignore someone when they're acting in a way where they make themselves out to be better than others or when someone is bashing a user for no reason at all. Sometimes you just can't ignore it and let it go on. Especially when the person being bashed isn't trying to take up for themselves or nobody else tries or mods don't see what's going on or just ignore it all together. It gets pretty old really quick.

I don't run my mouth off as much as I used to when I see it happening now, but I still occasionally say something. A couple times it was aimed at a mod who was obviously abusing their mod position. When I said something to them about it they took it upon themselves to delete a lot of posts I'd make for no reason at all. Simply because in one thread where they posted some info about something I proved they was wrong because it bothered me with how much they acted as if they knew everything about everything and are never wrong because they're a moderator on a forum.

Not complaining at all. I'm over all that nonsense. Just showing how sometimes when people run their mouth off it can be for a good reason and they still get treated wrongly. In my case I wanted to prove a mod was abusing their position, nothing more than that.

how about doing it this way..

take for example, when i'm driving and someone ****es me of, as they usually do, i yell and curse at them. even though my windows are rolled up and they can't hear me, it still makes me feel better because once i'm done yelling and cursing it makes me laugh and usually it's a piece of **** car that does it to me and problem is easily solved.

so, the next time you want to say "you ****ing moron, go to hell, you fat ******" just say it to yourself. it saves you time from typing it and a warning. :p

i do it all the time. :D