COM Surrogate needs to close! (HELP) PLEASE

Same problem here, combined with a RUNDLL32 crash when trying to play a video on WMP11...

Which audio card do you own, and which drivers do you use? Maybe an Audigy 2 with Creative Vista beta drivers 2.10.0000? If so... you should remove the driver and wait for a new version from Creative or from MS on Windows Update.

Same problem here, combined with a RUNDLL32 crash when trying to play a video on WMP11...

Which audio card do you own, and which drivers do you use? Maybe an Audigy 2 with Creative Vista beta drivers 2.10.0000? If so... you should remove the driver and wait for a new version from Creative or from MS on Windows Update.

I DOnt hav Creative Hardware but it happen to me usins iTunes and WMP

So maybe is the same

Seen like that, it has to be a problem related to audio hardware or audio driver...

But which audio hardware do you have then? Realtek AC'97? 'cause this one is known to have issues with Vista as well!

I'm having the same issue, Realtek AC'97...but I'm not sure that's the problem. I get the Com Surrogate error when I go into any folder with Divx or Xvid or Mpeg 2 files, I think Vista is trying to generate previews. I get the Rundll32 error when opening the same media in Media Player, but the files still play fine. It's annoying as hell!

I get the same after watching a video that uses the Xvid codec. I think that's what's causing it. I have an X-Fi, but it doesn't have drivers so I'm just using my onboard Realtek sound.

Seen like that, it has to be a problem related to audio hardware or audio driver...

But which audio hardware do you have then? Realtek AC'97? 'cause this one is known to have issues with Vista as well!

Yes i Have realtek 97

Im suppose to think that is something with the drivers but exactaly why it do it when playing video and not when playing AUDIO, maybe because of the Xvid Codecs but i dont know

I was confuse yesterday and was at the limit of my pacience to do a clean install to see if it resolve the issue!

So it's linked to video files, but not especially DivX/Xvid files, because I have that problem simply when playing a MPG file with WMP11.

For the Realtek AC'97, are you using drivers from Realtek website? In that case, remove them because AC'97 works 'correctly' when you're using the drivers provided by Microsoft.

yeah it's definitely video files, but it only seems to be video files that play in media player because I have lots of MP4 files that play in quicktime, and don't get the error with those.

So it's linked to video files, but not especially DivX/Xvid files, because I have that problem simply when playing a MPG file with WMP11.

For the Realtek AC'97, are you using drivers from Realtek website? In that case, remove them because AC'97 works 'correctly' when you're using the drivers provided by Microsoft.

You have all the reason since i use the originals drivers taht came from the CD Facotry Settings i have been issue with that error but now i ROLL BACK and dont have any issue

Thanks Pal' :D

I had actually installed the original XP drivers from disc, but then upgraded the driver with the one provided in Windows Update. Still giving me these same errors. I will try to uninstall all drivers for the audio card and then just install the ones provided through Windows Update, maybe that will solve the issue.

Error caused by DivX? Codec: no specific solution available

Thank you for submitting an error report.

Problem description

An analyst at Microsoft has investigated this problem and determined that an unknown error occurred in DivX? Codec. This software was created by DivX?.

Recommendation

Microsoft has researched this problem with DivX?, and they do not currently have a solution for the problem that you reported. Below is a recommendation to take that may help prevent the problem from recurring.

Contact DivX? for support or product updates.

Additional information

If this problem continues to occur with the latest product updates for DivX? Codec, we recommend you obtain assistance and troubleshooting information directly from DivX?.

That's the solution i got for it when i installed the latest codec. i had 6.2.5 before and couldn't go full screen and a few other issues and Vista said upgrade tot he latest as a fix... lol guess not. Hmm so i guess vista isn't perfect yet, forgot about this lil error i was getting with divx files.... that's a divx problem tho right since other videos play fine.

Well, i got the very same Problem, but i identified what it caused. I bet all of you having this issue had Nero 7 or at least Nerolite 7 installed?! I made a clean install of Vista and everything worked, i then tried playing video files step by step after each installation of the programs i usually install. After installing Nero Lite 7.5.11 the Error occured. I uninstallted it, and the error was gone. I identified the Video/SuperVideo CD functionality in Nero to be the "bad boy". I did install Nero Lite 7.5.1.1 again without the plugin and voilla, everything's fine. Using standard xvid codec and so on, no more COM Surrogate popups.

Error caused by DivX? Codec: no specific solution available

Not a true "solution", but the workaround I used when I had video codec trouble in earlier Vista builds was simply to stop feeding Vista with these trouble making codecs and use Video Lan Client: http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

It worked perfectly fine for me with a minimum impact on the OS itself, being entirely "self contained". The only problem was that it switched from Aero Glass while playing a video for me. Hopefully that will be sorted out in a future version, because Windows Media Player shows that it can be done.