Shift Linux 0.3 Gnome is Ready

Heh, the internet thing turned out being a problem on my side. Aparently, the cable wasn't completely in. :blush: Heh...so yeah, internet has been great, unless you don't know how to plug a cable in :p

Downloaded and booted, I'm very impressed that this project is comming along so fast.

1) We are interested in detection of your computer hardware.

As far as I can tell all hardware was detected correctly except my graphics card (Nvidia GeForce 3 Ti200) which was not picked up atall and I was getting no audio so I can only assume my soundcard (onboard) was not detected either. Even my monitor was detected correctly, that very rarely happens with Live CD's.

2) We are interested in any graphics bugs.

For 20-30 seconds as gnome started the 'background' was a really horrible/almost hypnotising white and black pattern which hurt my eyes quite a bit lol. Also none of the GTweakUi menu entrys have icons, nor does the USBview entry.

3) We want to make sure that you get the right resolution ( especially on wide screens).

Possibly due to my graphics card not being detected my resolution is at 800x600 which is not very usable, I much prefer 1280x1024 at least. By the way i'm non-widescreen

Some other things I noticed (probably due to it being a live cd):

-Keyboard defaults to US layout.

-System time is way off.

-I downloaded this morning and synaptic is still missing

Random tidbits:

-Screensavers have configurable options!!! Ubuntu's gnome has been missing this.

-The forwardlooks theme is very very nice.

-Internet connection worked without any configuration.

-SATA hard disk was mounted without any problems.

-That's all I can think of for now.

Sorry about the extensive post, It's a very cool distro, can't wait to see future versions appear.

screenshotpd9.th.png

OrganicPanda: Thank you VERY much for your post. I am really glad that you think this is coming along so well. Myself and Barney have channeled a lot of effort in to this release so it's great to hear that you're enjoying it!

In answer to your points:

1) Not picking up nVidia GFX Card: I imagine this is due to the fact that this release is using XFree86 rather than X.Org and thus does not have a complete driver set included in it. We had some real problems getting X.Org working so for this release we dropped back to XFree86 on a temporary basis. I may well release a 0.4 version of Gnome using X.Org if we get a more reports about incorrectly detected cards.

2) Nasty B&W Pattern: That is the lovely default X background as it ships. The PNG file used is quite large, and X deliberately loads it last. This is probably fixable by reducing the PNG size so that will definitely be addressed in 0.5.

3) 800x600 default res: Again that's probably an XFree86 propblem. The move over to X.Org in the next version should alleviate that problem.

4) Keyboard layout defaults to US: Most of our users are US based so that really is the best option. I'm sure you can change this though.

5) System time is way off: I'll add a new command to retrieve time from the internet if a connection is available in the next release

6) Synaptic missing: We know. I'm working on this as I'm typing this.

I wish I could've given you more detailed info like that but I never had any of those problems, except Synaptic which I reported and a few missing icons in the menus.

FYI - a revised version (0.3.1) including synaptic, Firefox Language Packs, and some revised ALSA based packages is being uploaded at the moment. Barney and I need to do some sort internal testing and we'll then let you guys loose on it. Just a heads up for you.