Macs To Have Amd Processor?

i saw this at << spam >> and its pretty interesting..........!!

"Found this article over at Tech-report.com and it seems like AMD based processors are being test over at the apple labs right now, so rumors of AMD based macs may come sooner or later...this rumor IS true (i have my sources but i cant say much but we wont be seeing AMD based macs for atleast a year or 2 so dont get excited yet.

If IBM's new desktop 64-bit PowerPC chip doesn't fly, it looks like Apple has at least AMD's Athlon XP processors as a backup. TR reader Jrdbeau sent me a link to this interesting story on what may be Apple's contingency plan if it's forced to move to an x86 platform.

Nevertheless, these observers report that Apple has been serious enough about its ace in the hole to seed a few lucky civilians with prototype boxes ?delivered heavily swaddled in layers of cloak-and-dagger security, natch. Specifically, recent testers report taking delivery of Athlon-powered boxes that Apple had assiduously..."

if this is true.........then does it mean that in the future, we will be able to run MacOS on PCs?!!!

cuz, you know, they'll have to port their operating system to the x86 platform...................

i'm really excited about this.............

any comments.....?

Like I said at HWG: Here a rumor, there a rumor, everywhere a rumor. :hmmm:

f this is true.........then does it mean that in the future, we will be able to run MacOS on PCs?!!!

cuz, you know, they'll have to port their operating system to the x86 platform...................

i'm really excited about this.............

NO, this has been said numerous times all over the place. Do you really think Apple is going to give up their hardware? You will NOT being running OS X on your PC boxes.

Do we really need this thread?

so, will it be possible to run macOS on pc if apple does the move......?

DUH.... thats a silly idea. and the keyword in the sentence is IF :angry:

edit: post 3500

Actually, Mac OS X CAN run on PC right now, it's not released to the public though. I found an article a few months ago on slashdot.org and said that Apple is already running OS X on PCs in their labs. So they already DO have a port of it, they're just making sure it doesn't get out. I dunno, I really hope they do somewhere down the road let Mac OS run on PC because I hate windows and I'm too chickensh*t to try Linux cuz I don't know d**k all about Unix and stuff. It'd be really sweet if they did it though... :ninja:

Actually, Mac OS X CAN run on PC right now, it's not released to the public though. I found an article a few months ago on slashdot.org and said that Apple is already running OS X on PCs in their labs. So they already DO have a port of it, they're just making sure it doesn't get out. I dunno, I really hope they do somewhere down the road let Mac OS run on PC because I hate windows and I'm too chickensh*t to try Linux cuz I don't know d**k all about Unix and stuff. It'd be really sweet if they did it though... :ninja:

Uh, did you read the first post in this thread. That is exactly what is being said. And listen closely it's a big fat rumor. Could be true, probablly isn't though. No one knows.

And IF Apple moves to x86 it will be specifically designed for Apple and OS X will still only run on Apple hardware.

IF we see a move to x86 arch - you still wont' be able to run os x on your dell or something like that. apple will still use their own hardware, and will use some mechanism to make sure only apple hardware runs OSX. something like a speciality bios would be my guess. basically, don't get your hopes up of running os x on your current PC.

guess you'll have to stick to those crummy os x lookalike themes for now ;)

apple would be smart to release a pc version of osx. propietary hardware is apples biggest down fall. i know if i could choose windows or osx, i'd go with osx. but would i buy apples over priced hardware? not in a million years.

apple would be smart to release a pc version of osx. propietary hardware is apples biggest down fall. i know if i could choose windows or osx, i'd go with osx. but would i buy apples over priced hardware? not in a million years.

Apple is a hardware company with a great OS. That's why you will never dualboot windows and OS X. Hardware is their bread and butter.

As of right now, it looks like Apple is switching to IBMs sweet 64bit processor in the next 2 years. That will most assuredly keep the Mac in contention with pcs on speed/performance (and possibly pass). From the early specs, (very early), it is a much better processor than any 32bit/64bit processor Intel/Amd has on the burner. Course when Macs do start putting out computers with the same mhz/ghz as pcs (or higher), I'm sure some will find other ways to bash them.

apple hardware isn't overpriced. you get great softwares as well, so that should justify the price.

it's a combination of great hardwares and softwares, and that's what pc can't offer. i certainly don't wish apple port osx to pc. it would spoil it all. apple will never do that anyway. :)

Well said, as good as the hardware is, you aren't paying a high price just for it. You are paying for the untouchable integration of OS X and its hardware. This is something that doesn't exist in the PC world and is an upper hand for Apple.

my guess would be that apple will be forced to lower their hardware prices.

why is this because if they are going to use pc cpus and speeds then it goes back to the customers dodo brain.

If they see an Intel Pentium 4 cpu at 4.0ghz and an Apple PC at that same price and there is a $1000 price difference (figuring in that a 1.2ghz G4 already costs more then a good pc) the customer will obviously buy the cheaper pc. You can't justify $1000 for macosx. Also understand that the moment Apple steps in the x86 architecture there will be a mod/hack out within weeks to get OSX to run on a non-apple PC... seriously.. what protection scheme has truly worked on the PC?

Mac OSX would not run well on the vast PC platform unless it was limited to specific hardware that Apple could tune the OS to. It would suffer the same woes and no doubt many more than Microsoft has in the past and still does today. OSX runs well on Mac hardware is because it is designed (tweaked) for that hardware. This is similar to the way that the embedded XP OS that runs the XBOX runs very well on that hardware, but it is not going to run well on just any old PC hardware that you pic up at the local computer store. It is tweaked to run on that specific XBOX hardware, the same goes for other consoles.

It's easy to get good results when you control both the OS and the hardware, it's a whole other game when you have to design an OS to be compatible with just about anything you throw at it. If you want a good performing OSX you'll need to have it running on Mac hardware otherwise, chances are you're not going to be too happy with what you get. The type of compatibility required to power the PC platform requires very extensive and ongoing development and Microsoft is way ahead of the game on that. I highly doubt that Apple would care to move to a platform where it would be very difficult for them to control performance and reliability since it could seriously affect their reputation and could possibly undermine their hardware sales.

here's what i heard will be for the mac lineup:

late 2003:

ibook: unknown

powerbook: g4 still

emac: g4

imac: g4

g3 imac: long gone...

PowerMac: 970

Xserve: 970

if the market needs a huge boost in '04...:

late 2004:

ibook: dunno...i would say G4 probably...

powerbook: AMD Hammer (probably to be codenamed "HammerBook" or something)

emac: AMD Hammer

imac: AMD Hammer

PowerMac: higher end hammer...or still 970

Xserve: higher end hammer...or 970 also...

we'll just have to wait and see tho, since they may ditch the hammer/whatever amd processor....

well, failing a total meltdown of any power4-producing plant. I HIGHLY doubt apple will drop power4 in favor of x86 processors. I mean, the major hurdles in getting to the platform (you know, like convincing EVERY software vendor to recompile and re-release all their programs...um, yeah) aer reason enough alone not to do this. I'm suprised the project has gotten this far. Not unless they have built a REALLY slick and transparent powerpc emulation layer will this come out. Ever. PERIOD.

This isn't about technical limitations, just basic busniess theory....