• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#16 artnada

artnada

Merrrr

• 2,843 posts
  • Phone: OnePlus One

Posted 18 October 2006 - 03:18

Acronis True Image - best piece of kit for HDD back up out ther. (Y)

#17 slysy

slysy

Neowinian

• 523 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 07:43

It seems that version 10 is up on their US site but not the EU site?

#18 zeroday

zeroday

meh

• 5,303 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 09:12

True Image is top notch software (Y)
I use it to backup my OS patition everyweek (Y)

#19 dtanderson

dtanderson

Neowinian

• 179 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 14:06

Thanks for the news. I'll be deciding between ATI10 and the Vista backup program. I forget, does this work on Vista x64?

From what I have read on the Acronis site, yes this will work with Vista 64.

#20 MackDiesel2010

MackDiesel2010

I'ma eatcho children!

• 676 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 23:13

Did they implement "rolling backups" in this release?

#21 remix17

remix17

Neowinian Senior

• 4,049 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 23:26

This is one of my favorite software applications. Great backups! (Y)

#22 samxt

samxt

Neowinian Buffoon

• 184 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 07:39

I myself like the program very much except for one minor itty bitty thing: I'm used to copying my images to a hidden partition that I have already created using partition magic, and want True image to be able to copy to and restore from that hidden partition also. The thing is... True Image is only capable of copying to it's own self created hidden partition. We are not talking unhidden partitions here cause any backup program can do that. This then means that I'd have to delete my current hidden partition with backup data and all, then have True Image recreate its secure zone hidden partition, which I hope the user has control of the size and location of the hidden partition that will be created. Then, I would have to create a fresh Image of my current system to the newly created partition. Then I'd be OK I think.

Thing is, I've just gotten so comfortable with the way Drive Image 2002 by Powerquest works. You can save any image to any partition (even hidden ones) using a boot disk and then restore from that partition. Acronis True Image didn't list my hidden partition as a place to save my image to or as a place to restore my image from, which is a huge inconvenience for a power user like me. I did of course suggest this feature to Acronis, but I assume they figured the secure zone of theirs was the same and although it is in a sense, the program is removing full flexibility from the user by forcing you to use a method that they think might be a better solution. Also, my computers are a little older now too, I realize that.

Although this is probably good for most users, those used to more flexibility or powerful backup solutions will consider it a step backward. Allbeit a small step. The program is a great program and it will be my next backup solution once I can no longer use Drive Image 2002. Since Norton ruined the Powerquest Drive Image program, Acronis True image Workstation is the absolute closest thing to the old Drive Image program. I do all my backup and restore operations from a boot CD to keep it simple and free of Windows influences. Acronis provides this capability without the Use of a windows PE boot cd which is time consuming and slow like Norton Ghost. There's lots to like about this program!

Edited by samxt, 23 October 2006 - 07:51.

#23 kaffra

kaffra

Neowinian Senior

• 3,663 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 08:02

Did they implement "rolling backups" in this release?

do you mean incremental backups? its available already in v9
Edit: im not sure about this home version though

#24 Carlos11

Carlos11

Neowinian

• 677 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 16:35

I myself like the program very much except for one minor itty bitty thing: I'm used to copying my images to a hidden partition that I have already created using partition magic, and want True image to be able to copy to and restore from that hidden partition also. The thing is... True Image is only capable of copying to it's own self created hidden partition. We are not talking unhidden partitions here cause any backup program can do that. This then means that I'd have to delete my current hidden partition with backup data and all, then have True Image recreate its secure zone hidden partition, which I hope the user has control of the size and location of the hidden partition that will be created. Then, I would have to create a fresh Image of my current system to the newly created partition. Then I'd be OK I think.

Thing is, I've just gotten so comfortable with the way Drive Image 2002 by Powerquest works. You can save any image to any partition (even hidden ones) using a boot disk and then restore from that partition. Acronis True Image didn't list my hidden partition as a place to save my image to or as a place to restore my image from, which is a huge inconvenience for a power user like me. I did of course suggest this feature to Acronis, but I assume they figured the secure zone of theirs was the same and although it is in a sense, the program is removing full flexibility from the user by forcing you to use a method that they think might be a better solution. Also, my computers are a little older now too, I realize that.

Although this is probably good for most users, those used to more flexibility or powerful backup solutions will consider it a step backward. Allbeit a small step. The program is a great program and it will be my next backup solution once I can no longer use Drive Image 2002. Since Norton ruined the Powerquest Drive Image program, Acronis True image Workstation is the absolute closest thing to the old Drive Image program. I do all my backup and restore operations from a boot CD to keep it simple and free of Windows influences. Acronis provides this capability without the Use of a windows PE boot cd which is time consuming and slow like Norton Ghost. There's lots to like about this program!

I agree with you. Drive Image 2002 was one of a kind. Great application! I never had any problem with backup and the most important restoring.

With True Image... Sometimes I got a "corrupted image" when restoring a partition and then your magic program bacame a real pain. Twice I had to install XP since True Image showed the error message. Once I had 4 images and all of them corrupted! Go figure! :pinch:

#25 Scorbing

Scorbing

Halo Master

• 6,562 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 23 October 2006 - 17:25

I agree with you. Drive Image 2002 was one of a kind. Great application! I never had any problem with backup and the most important restoring.

With True Image... Sometimes I got a "corrupted image" when restoring a partition and then your magic program bacame a real pain. Twice I had to install XP since True Image showed the error message. Once I had 4 images and all of them corrupted! Go figure! :pinch:

Acronis True Image WAS a good product back when it was v8.0. Once they jumped to v9.0 everything turned into crap. Corrupted images, constant reboots just to get the image backup. I got fed up with it. I had to reboot my PC from the Recovery CD twice just to get the image back. Acronis v10.0 I won't even touch. Acronis is no longer a reliable application. It has way too many bugs and anyone who depends on it for backup is insane.

FACT: ImageCast 6 is the one Dell and Compaq uses to create their images on their PCs. Before they used to use Drive Image 2002 :)

My personal suggestions for backup by choice:

From The Old School

1. Powerquest Drive Image 2002

2. Norton Ghost 2003

From The Newest Appz

3. Paragon Backup Pro 8

4. ImageCast 6

#26 Carlos11

Carlos11

Neowinian

• 677 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 18:31

Acronis is no longer a reliable application. It has way too many bugs and anyone who depends on it for backup is insane.
3. Paragon Backup Pro 8
4. ImageCast 6

I'd like to have just a reliable image backup.

My brother had the same "corrupted image" when he needed TI.

Thank you for the options. I'll try them a maybe drop TI for good.

#27 Rogue`

Rogue`

n00b

• 2,725 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 20:14

I was going to try this, but by the looks of it there are better options out there (^thanks) :)

#28 OP Blaine

Blaine

Neowinian

• 1,366 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 22:53

I was going to try this, but by the looks of it there are better options out there (^thanks) :)

Yeah thanks, I'm going to try out Paragon