XP SP3... Now 1H 2008

You don't need SP3... with IE7 and MP11, your OS is 5 year old OS is doing you very well. How many other companies offer free (and good) updates to products for 5,6,7,8+ years after it's initial release?

I think the more relevant question is how long after a product is superceeded does support stop? It is currently the latest version and will remain so until 07 so it is Microsoft's obligation to support it for a few years yet.

For those of you worried about the lifespan of XP, then this is only a good thing. Microsoft supported XP SP1 for what, 4 years after it was released? Assuming they do the same with XP, then 4 years after SP3 is released puts it at 2011 at least. I think by then you will have been able to upgrade.

Service Pack 3 will most likely include IE 7, Windows Media Player 11 and any other new software they've released since SP2. It'll be more than just misc. fixes and updates

You can always slipstream updates into an XP CD. That's what I do every few months. Usually the only thing I have to install after a format is WGA. Everything else I need, like IE 7 or WMP 11 is on my other hard drive. I just download them everytime they're updated so I always have the recent versions ready for me to install. You could also get Autopatcher and burn it to a cd.

Include WMP 11?,I dont think thats a really important update,IE7?,maybe but by the time SP3 comes out wont it already be out of date?,probably be on 7.5 or something by then.

Put it this way, there's NOTHING in SP3 that you can't already download (and if you use Windows update, probably already HAVE installed). Microsoft is in no rush to get it out and this lets them concentrate on fixing the numerous problems that WILL be in Vista.

It's not some big conspiracy to get you to upgrade to Vista, If you ran windows update once a month from now until when SP3 was released, you'd be in no different a position.

you say that but I bet you there will be numourus other patches,updates & additional things to install come the time,hence everytime a service pack comes out there is a wide estimate on download space etc.

There have been many HotFixes that have never made it to Microsoft Update. You would need to contact support to receive them. These may end up as part of SP3. Neither IE or WMP have showed up as part of a SP in the past. This may end up being a roll-up package like what happened to Win 2000.

Who will buy software from a company that lock them in an unsecure world..I think moves like this will give competitiors of microsoft a ++++ while comparision.

I am using a slipstreamed version of XP

Service Pack 3 will most likely include IE 7, Windows Media Player 11 and any other new software they've released since SP2. It'll be more than just misc. fixes and updates

You can always slipstream updates into an XP CD. That's what I do every few months. Usually the only thing I have to install after a format is WGA. Everything else I need, like IE 7 or WMP 11 is on my other hard drive. I just download them everytime they're updated so I always have the recent versions ready for me to install. You could also get Autopatcher and burn it to a cd.

IE 8 will be out by that time....

That sucks,

I hate Vista, the feel of it. I am sticking to XP unless Vista Final blows my socks off but I don't see that happening. I can't wait for SP3

Well i bet you siad the same thing about windows XP . i pearsonly love vista and all it offers.