Freebsd

Unix/Linux Distros

BSD is Unix, so it should be good enough for now.. I think, it's good idea to split when we have many users that who are using BSD.

>> Been a FreeBSD User since the pre-FreeBSD days and 1.0-GAMMA in 1993.

Whoa.. I have been using FreeBSD since 4.4 as my main desktop and server (seperate boxes).. bsdforums.org is my favorite place to visit.. :)

Unix/Linux Distros

BSD is Unix, so it should be good enough for now.. I think, it's good idea to split when we have many users that who are using BSD.

>> Been a FreeBSD User since the pre-FreeBSD days and 1.0-GAMMA in 1993.

Whoa.. I have been using FreeBSD since 4.4 as my main desktop and server (seperate boxes).. bsdforums.org is my favorite place to visit.. :)

You're right. BSD is one of the two standards of Unix. The other being System V from Unix Software Labs/AT&T/Novell :) BSD is where all the TCP/IP or networking in Unix or most OSes came from. Linux is more of a kernel rather than a entire OS and is a Unix-like or rather Unix clone OS. I started with 386BSD when Jordan K Hubbard was still working at Lotus Development in Ireland. I then used SLS Linux since jkh said there is something coming from the original unix developers based on 386bsd. NetBSD then came out from Chris Demetriou (sp?) I think in 1992 or early 1993. Then FreeBSD came out in summer 1993. in 1994 or 1995, there was a lawsuit between Unix software labs and the University of California and BSDI on copyright infringement so BSD 4.4lite code was released and FreeBSD/NetBSD was rewritten from scratch based on BSD 4.4lite code and later 4.4lite2 code. I think that's the same with BSD386 as well. OpenBSD came from developers on the NetBSD development team. I'm more into the FreeBSD irc channels on both EFNet and DALnet than forums except this one. :yes: I actually run 34 ISPs with over 100+ servers that I have installed remotely and also done the same for a few dozen machines when I was working for NASA Ames. They are all FreeBSD 4.4 or 5.0-CURRENT based. :rolleyes:

Honestly, I wish I knew about Linux/BSD long time ago. But, I play sports in my whole life until my knee got blew. I got into computer around four to five years ago. I found out about Linux/BSD like two years ago, I don't like Linux and fell in love with BSD.

Curious, how's FreeBSD 5.0? I know, it's unstable and not full ready, but what do you think of it so far? I haven't tried it yet.

Honestly, I wish I knew about Linux/BSD long time ago. But, I play sports in my whole life until my knee got blew. I got into computer around four to five years ago. I found out about Linux/BSD like two years ago, I don't like Linux and fell in love with BSD.

Curious, how's FreeBSD 5.0? I know, it's unstable and not full ready, but what do you think of it so far? I haven't tried it yet.

Heh, I just like BSD because it's stable and handles heavy load... That's what yahoo uses and what hotmail used to use originally... As for FreeBSD 5.0, want a free shell account? =)

Wow, that's about the same for me. Although I'd had a computer in the house since I was a kid, even knew how to do everything with it... just wasn't into them per se. I was a Mac user for a bit, then I transitioned to FreeBSD and Windows.

BSD has to be the best server OS out there (IMO) and I've even used it for workstations instead of say NT in a couple cases.

Been wondering about 5.0 too, but I think I need to get up to date on 4 versions first (been slacking on the updates) :D

This OS is free correct? If so, where can I download an iso or something? I've wanted to play around with Linux, But my ISP won't run on it. So I have been forced to run it through Virtual PC. TO me, an OS without the internet is totally useless.

Heh, I just like BSD because it's stable and handles heavy load... That's what yahoo uses and what hotmail used to use originally.
Yes, I agree.. Also, hotmail is using qmail as outgoing..
As for FreeBSD 5.0, want a free shell account?

Not at this moment, but thanks! I am planning to install FreeBSD 5.0 sometime soon in around one to two months when it gets more stable. I am planning to use it as main desktop, but I want to wait a little for 3.2.1 and ports to get mature together. If I run out of patience, I know who to ask.. ;)

This OS is free correct?
Yes, check -> www.freebsd.org..
I've wanted to play around with Linux, But my ISP won't run on it.

Your ISP might be BS. You can connect it, unless your ISP is AOL or something required speical stuff.

Nope, BSD is UNIX...

What is FreeBSD?

FreeBSD is an advanced operating system for x86 compatible, DEC Alpha, and PC-98 architectures. It is derived from BSD UNIX, the version of UNIX developed at the University of California, Berkeley. It is developed and maintained by a large team of individuals. Additional platforms are in various stages of development.

quoted it from www.freebsd.org in the front page..

Nope, BSD is UNIX...
What is FreeBSD?

FreeBSD is an advanced operating system for x86 compatible, DEC Alpha, and PC-98 architectures. It is derived from BSD UNIX, the version of UNIX developed at the University of California, Berkeley. It is developed and maintained by a large team of individuals. Additional platforms are in various stages of development.

I know a BSD genious told me this sometime... I will ask him next time i see him. He showed me a website I think. He could be wrong but I usually trust his knowledge about BSD. Anyway, yeah, FreeBSD is the best, and i dont really think that we need another subsection. This section is not used enough to need another just for FreeBSD ;)

Nope, BSD is UNIX...
What is FreeBSD?

I know a BSD genious told me this sometime... I will ask him next time i see him. He showed me a website I think. He could be wrong but I usually trust his knowledge about BSD. Anyway, yeah, FreeBSD is the best, and i dont really think that we need another subsection. This section is not used enough to need another just for FreeBSD ;)

Just curious, but do you have to wear a helmet on the schoolbus? What do you have to ask the "BSD genious" about something that is plainly shown on www.freebsd.org, and on the main page, no less.

But in reference to if this should have it's own subsection; why not? It's no less important or relevant than Linux, and it's a far better OS. Besides, what's wrong with informing people about another OS option they may want information about? I know this place is pro-Windoze for the most part, but there's always room for more flame threads. ;)

Nope, BSD is UNIX...
What is FreeBSD?

Well, the issue is that FreeBSD is Unix but FreeBSD can't carry the name Unix next to it as Unix is a trademarked name by Unix Software Labs, originally AT&T and later sold to Novell and I'm not sure who owns USL now. There are two standards of Unix, one is called System V which is USL's and the other is called BSD. BSD was where all TCP/IP Networking came from used in all operating systems. So BSD (Berkeley Software Distribution) Unix can only be called a 100% Un*x system but not Unix or else you'll be seeing the 1993 Unix Software labs versus University of California/BSD Inc. lawsuit all over again. :yes:

man, thats it, i am going to have to get this thing. That devil just seems too damn cool. Freebsd just seems more and more interesting the more i hear about it. Im gona have to learn how to do a double boot so that i can use winxp and FreeBSD on the same computer.

Well, the issue is that FreeBSD is Unix but FreeBSD can't carry the name Unix next to it as Unix is a trademarked name by Unix Software Labs, originally AT&T and later sold to Novell and I'm not sure who owns USL now. There are two standards of Unix, one is called System V which is USL's and the other is called BSD. BSD was where all TCP/IP Networking came from used in all operating systems. So BSD (Berkeley Software Distribution) Unix can only be called a 100% Un*x system but not Unix or else you'll be seeing the 1993 Unix Software labs versus University of California/BSD Inc. lawsuit all over again. :yes:

Ahh, that is what he was saying if I remember correctly. Sorry if i misunderstood him. So it just cant be called Unix. Well anyway, cant ask him, hes at comdex, damn him :angry:

Caution to the n00bs: The installer is a bit confusing at first. Be very careful and read the onscreen instructions. If you're still not sure read them again. The "Official" WalnutCreek FreeBSD book is really well written - better than most of the "learning Linux" type books I've read. If you're serious about learning Unix and Linux for that matter I recommend it. Its about $40 US; $2000 Can - or something like that with our exchange rate.

I'm in agreement w/ everyone here too. FreeBSD is much better than Linux - at least for the desktop. Its still quicker and easier for me to setup a Linux box as a DSL/router from scratch but I find the BSD kernel much more stable and quicker than the Linux kernel. For one thing it doesn't need the pre-emption and lag patches since 2.4 does lag alot though Linus and Alan Cox seem to say it won't effect users.

I've got linux installed right now since I'm taking a shell scripting class right now and I don't have time to install FreeBSD though I'd like to. I've noticed NVIDIA has posted beta X-Windows drivers for FreeBSD. Has anyone here tried it? How well does it work?

I'm in agreement w/ everyone here too. FreeBSD is much better than Linux - at least for the desktop. Its still quicker and easier for me to setup a Linux box as a DSL/router from scratch but I find the BSD kernel much more stable and quicker than the Linux kernel. Also, it's easier than Linux to configure. For one thing it doesn't need the pre-emption and lag patches since 2.4 does lag alot though Linus and Alan Cox seem to say it won't effect users.

I complete agree with you. BSD is a lot faster, many of Linux users don't understand why many people move away from Linux to BSD. I keep tell them that it's just faster and stable than Linux. They just don't believe that BSD's kernel is just super and faster than Linux. But, some Linux's kernel is better such as multi-thread, schulder and etc.

I've noticed NVIDIA has posted beta X-Windows drivers for FreeBSD. Has anyone here tried it? How well does it work?

It's great and the glxgears's fps are very fast for the old Nvidia card that I have.

Alright, i downloaded FreeBSD and was going to install it, but when the first boot screen comes up asking to go into visual mode or whatever, my keyboard stops working and i cant choose anything. I cant seem to figure out what is going wrong either. Also, when you instal something like RedHat linux, when you go to choose which partition to instal it on, and you can choose the amount of disk space the partition will use, does this mean that once you instal it, your computer will work on a dual boot, so that you could use two os's at once, like linux and windows xp? I was reading about partitioning, but its quite confusing at first. I want to completely understand what i am doing before i mess things up and have to reformat everything for the hundredth time. If anyone can help, thanks alot.

Cool, thanks mezz. I have been on this computer for two days straight reading tutorials and trying to figure out a few things, most of which just kinda leave me confused and hanging. I feel that i get steps one and three, but am missing two, which is a secret that nobody wants to tell. Ha Ha, Mezz, you seem to know the answer to everyones questions. You are like a Linux god. If you lived anywhere near me, id hire you to make my computer the way i want it. All i want is to run Freebsd and windows xp on the same box. Well, i think ill just wait and get me a laptop, then i can put freebsd on it and forget this dual boot crap.

Ha Ha, Mezz, you seem to know the answer to everyones questions.  You are like a Linux god.  If you lived anywhere near me, id hire you to make my computer the way i want it.

Well, guess what? I have no job right now, which I am 22 years old. It's hard to find the job as SysAdmin in the small town. I need to move out to the bigger city. I only had three major job, they was graphic/web design and programming. I finished the projects early.

All i want is to run Freebsd and windows xp on the same box.  Well, i think ill just wait and get me a laptop, then i can put freebsd on it and forget this dual boot crap.

You already have two partitions ready, correct? If yes, then FreeBSD will create the dual boot for you by automatic. Check this screenshot -> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1...ll/boot-mgr.png .. So, select the first one, "BootMgr".. http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1...tall-steps.html <- Explains pretty clearly about what you should create the slice partition, after you select the "BootMgr". There's no missing step, unless you actually try it.

I'm trying to configure a apache+php+mysql+ftp+mail.

I'm having lots of problems because "make install" doesn't install all dependencies. :crazy:

I have to look for them

When i tried to install mysql server it asked for dbXML then dbXML asked for jsdk... now it installs but an error message apears and i don't know what to do.

"Sorry, the host 'server' could not be looked up.

Please configure the 'hostname' command to return a correct hostname.

If you want to solve this at a later stage, restart this script with

the --force option

*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/databases/mysql323-server."

Currently I'm configuring it on a lan for further exposure. can you help me? Apache doesn't start because of the same reason...

I'm going nuts :wacko: