Questions

Hey,

I have Mandrake Linux - I know how to install it (well at least the basics)... was just wondering though, all the window managers that are included seem to be extremely sluggish - eg a 2-4 second delay between clicking on the file manager button and the file manager starting. Is this just an issue with Linux window managers in themselves, or is there something configured wrong (I'm on AMD XP 1800+ (not oced) 512mb ram).

Also, once I install it, it seems to corrupt my drive so that Windows will not allow me to ScanDisk. Any way to fix that?

Whole WM, like Blacibox, Fluxbox and others? Or, just Gnome and KDE? To let you know that, KDE and Gnome are really a little slower than Windows. Unless, you compile WM and other stuff on your own by source code with the optimizate flags. Then, they will be faster. That's the most reason why I recommend people to compile the source rather than use the crappy RPM and AGT or whatever.

Your machine is fast, so it's WM's fault or whatever.. Have you check the process? like, use top and ps aux command to make sure there are apps that are running correct without using 100% of CPU or use too much mb of ram.

Thanks man - appreciated :D

Sorry, I wasn't aware of the difference between Blacibox/Fluxbox and Gnome/KDE :) Just to let you know, I was running Gnome for my first installation and then KDE after another clean install... both with all defaults, no configuration changes after the install.

To compile by myself, do I just download and ./configure, make, make install?

or is it more complicated than that?

Thanks again for the help.

-- edit --

I noticed the freebsd mascot as your avatar :D would you say freebsd has a higher performance level than linux? is it as easy to use as linux for a desktop os? (i'm guessing not, but just in case :p)

>> To compile by myself, do I just download and ./configure, make, make install?

Yeah, like that.. I recommend you to read INSTALL, README and ./configure --help.. To add optimizate flags, you can do like this..

# export CFLAGS='-march=athlon-xp -O3 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer'

# export CXXFLAGS='-march=athlon-xp -O3 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer'

# ./configure --putstuffhere...

# make

# make install

I have to warn you, it can break stuff down.. If it isn't stable then you can turn down from O3 to O2 or delete --fomit-frame-pointer.. Also, it will take time to do the complete the compile and install.. You might want to compile/install XFree86 4.2.xx, QT 3.xx and etc with the optimizate flags.. That's why Gentoo Linux became so popular very quickly.. If you don't want to do all of those work, then don't do it. BSD and Gentoo Linux will do for you by automatic. All you have to do is edit a file to add optimizate flags, then do the "make install clean" (for BSD) or "emerge kde3" (for Gentoo Linux) and that's it. Be sure to make the backup if you don't want to lose anything.

BTW: I just found for you -> http://hints.us.linuxfromscratch.org/hints.shtml

For Gentoo Linux: http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=3209

Search for optimization kde compile (or some better keyword if you find) in the google.com if you want more informations.

>> I noticed the freebsd mascot as your avatar..

Yep, that's correct.. I am BSD freak.. ;)

>> would you say freebsd has a higher performance level than linux?

Heck yeah! Linux with optimizate flags and BSD without optimizate flags, BSD still win..

>> is it as easy to use as linux for a desktop os?

Honestly, I am not sure. I think, BSD is a lot easier than Linux, because of ports and very easy to configure than Linux. Also, make a lot sense because BSD have the solid standard stuff and FreeBSD has the BEST handbook that can walk you throught. Only two problems are that more hardwares and apps are support for Linux. Yes, FreeBSD can run Linux apps, but not whole will work. Like 95% of Linux apps in FreeBSD will work very smooth and faster than when it's on Linux.. Java isn't doing very well in FreeBSD, because there's no real native one yet.