How Do You Pronounce ".gif" file acronym?

How do you pronounce .gif?  

331 members have voted

1. 1. How do you pronounce .gif?

• Gif as in "gift"
    • Jif as in "jiff"

pf_product.gif

Popular or not, it's meant to be said the way the people that created it meant it to be said. I've never heard anyone pronounce it gif(t), but apparently there are a lot out there. Now that you know you've been pronouncing it wrong, accept it and move on.

Germ and giraffe are written with a g, do you pronounce them as gurm and ger-aff?

I don't pronounce "gift" as "jift", not do I pronounce "graphic" as "jiraphic", so what's your point? Do you say kanife or knife? Kaneel or kneel? Not all G sounds are like J you know. Frosted Flakes aren't "Jeeerate!"

I know a tech support/programmer/server-building guy who's a whiz at all things computers and makes a crap load of money doing it, and he says, "jigabyte". Doesn't make him right or wrong, but I know everyone here laughed when Doc Brown said, "1.21 Jigawatts?!?"

I don't pronounce "gift" as "jift", not do I pronounce "graphic" as "jiraphic", so what's your point? Do you say kanife or knife? Kaneel or kneel? Not all G sounds are like J you know. Frosted Flakes aren't "Jeeerate!"

If you read my post fully, you would have seen my point. I was responding to someone who said they pronounce it as gif(t) b/c it's spelled with a g and not a j. I was just pointing out that there are words that begin with g but have a j sound. That's all.

Yea one of my comp. science teacher was a lazy ass basterd and would pernounce just about every file acronym. His favorite or most used when talking would be URL... "Yurel" hed say. ANNOYING :angry: to here that every damn day.

..as in gift.

jay-peg

em-pee-three

bee-em-pee

ay-vee-eye

I pronounce things as they're literally spelled.

Yea I mean Ess See You Bee Aye is so much cooler than SCUBA.

It's pronounced Gooey.

Somethings you pronounce literally, some not. Gooey? That sounds moronic. It's GUI, [Jee-You-Eye].

Somethings you pronounce literally, some not. Gooey? That sounds moronic. It's GUI, [Jee-You-Eye].
No Earl (URL) sounds moronic, Gooey (GUI) sounds creative. :whistle:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GIF

Scroll down to Pronunciation

ROFLROFLRFOL at the first few lines. Windows users or (the idiots that use computers) as they make it out to be say it like (gift) and the Mac users say it like (Jiff)

CHOOSY DEVELOPERS CHOOSE GIF!!! 0_o

Yea regardless to this it really doesn't matter how its pernounced. I just think personally (jiff) sounds better than saying it like (gift)

Really the only reason why we pernounce acronyms is because were a bunch of lazy basterds and we think saying jiff or gooey is easier than saying GEEE EYE EFFF or GEEE UUUU EYE and it may save us about half a second in our precious lives. Our language these days is so laxed its not funny. Go ahead and use any pernounciation you want. Neither is a right or wrong one but I tell you what is right... any pernounciation of an acronym is going to sound retarded none the less.

GIF (Graphics Interchange Format) is an 8-bit-per-pixel bitmap image format using a palette of up to 256 distinct colors from the 24-bit RGB color space. It is definitely pronounced with a "G" sound and not "J"

QFT :yes:

If it was meant to be pronounced jif, it would be spelt that way in my opinion.

Did Americans come up with the word? They always seem to spell things exactly how they are pronounced.

To be honest I don't really care though. What is important is that when the word is said, as gif or jif, it can be understood what is being talked about.