Redhat - Removing Desktop Icon

i'm using redhat linux 8 and i use the GNOME desktop environment because i think bluecurve looks better in gnome than kde :p :blink:

ive been messing with the desktop for the past hour or so and i wanted to know if its possible to actually remove the 'Home' icon from the desktop :huh: it cant be done through right click > delete :(

thx :happy:

I'm not on GNU/Linux at the moment so I can't tell you the exact answer or the consequences that *might* follow after you've removed that icon. However, I *think* that you can delete it and having no trouble afterward.

You will probably be able to delete it manually in the console using 'rm'. The icon should be stored somewhere in your profile which is located in your home directories. Try 'ls -a' and explore your home directories.

Goodluck :)

hi [saint dark], i'm having trouble getting any files onto any disk (floppy or zip :cry:) so i cant get them right now, sorry  :(

Insert a fat formatted floppy drive

mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy

To copy a file

cp <filename> /mnt/floppy

yay! :D thanks prasanth it works now, but it never used to be like this under mandrake :angry:

oh well...

anyway [saint dark] here are the png's, hope these are the ones that you want :happy:

32x32 ....

post-30-1037896088.png

ok, ive had a play around in redhat/gnome 2 and i can't get the home icon to go at all..

i used cd, rm, ls -a etc and i found it.. try to delete it with 'rm' and 'rm -fr' but when i do the following thing appears on the next line... ">" :no: i tryed deleting the trash icon and it worked fine :blink:

does anyone know of another way of doing it? :(