Xine Problem

when ever I play an avi with xine the color is in black and white like so

xineprob.png

:/ how can I fix this? might it be because of my video card?

this is how its supposed to look like

xinesnap-20021118-194155-1.png

did you try to logoff/restart? could be that you didn't do that after installing xine. I am using RedHat 8.0 as well, but I didn't get anything like that and I use xine for all video-files.

Btw, did you install the "divx4linux" rpm?

can you back that up?

I'm a newbie myself, and I've tried both mplayer and xine and found xine to be MUCH better. I've read "xine is crap"/"mplayer is crap" but so far I haven't seen any reasons supporting any of those comments. Would you mind stating few of them here?

From my past experience, Xine on my Linux PDA (as can be found in Opie Mediplayer 2) is buggy, and very slow. Mplayer, on the other hands, is much more optimised, uses less cpu, memory, etc.

Mplayer also supports a loads more formats ;)

yea I just installed divx and still get the same problem, when I try Mplayer by right clicking the file and choosing open with> movei player

I get this error

snapshot1.png

but when I goto open with> other> and type in mplayer it works

snapshot2.png

except I don't get a control panel just the screen

Use the console to launch mplayer, use 'mplayer <file> -quiet'

its the same as if I right click on the file and choose open with> other> and type in "mplayer", I want to have a control panel and also be able to change the display size

How about do the gmplayer command? If not work, then try to do the mplayer -vo x11 -gui and see what happen. If it works, then try to do gmplayer -vo x11..

BTW: What kind of video card do you have?

BTW: What kind of video card do you have?

look at my sig :p

ATI Radeon 9000 Pro

no drivers for it :/ only vesa but no 3D support

also have your read my pm I sent you?

look at my sig :p

ATI Radeon 9000 Pro

Well, I disabled the viewable of avatar, signature and faces.. Did you try those commands that I suggested to try?

also have your read my pm I sent you?

pagal already answered.. It's gone, if it's relating to *nix question. Then, please post in here forum, not in my Inbox of PM.. :p

ATI Radeon 9000 Pro

Just saw this @ /.

http://slashdot.org/articles/02/11/21/1623...2.shtml?tid=104

hope this helps :)

:o :D I hope this works, Imma try it out today soon, thx :D

and hey does anyone know how many cd's slackware is? I dl'd it this morning and at the time I only saw 1 cd (8.1)

There is only one CD with Slackware 8.1. Also, I wouldn't recommend using it since I couldn't get any devices to work in it. My video card was detected, but it wouldn't install the sound, video, nor network card drivers during the install. Stick with Red Hat 8.0 or if you think it's the distro causing the trouble, give Mandrake 9.0 a try. Once I'm done my projects for Semester 1, I'm going to reload my system and instead of dual-booting Windows 2000 and Mandrake 9.0, only Mandrake 9.0 will be installed. Also, this will be after I give Longhorn a test! I got enough stuff working on Mandrake-Linux 9.0 that I can use it without Windows now, thanks to haloscan's aid with the Java!

Another thing I suggest you to experiment is to change the video output type. Generally, it's on vesa or OpenGL, but maybe you'll have to use another for the time being.

Opposite here, I recommend for anyone to get Slackware if they want to learn Linux. Slackware is not baby Linux distro like Mandrake, SuSE, Redhat and etc. For anyone who don't want to learn Linux, just do the click-mouse-done then grab the baby Linux distro that will do the all work and less flexible.

Do try Slackware, Webgraph's cheap box isn't same as your nor mine box. Many of my friends use Slackware and they have no problem with it. People need to try many different Linux distro as they can to find which one they like the best. I still think, Slackware is one of best Linux distro that I ever had tried.

Well what was your hardware situation with it, mezz? And why would Mandrake be listed as the best distro according to LinuxWorld?

When I mentioned about not recommending Slackware, I was pointing out that message to those who are new to Linux. When one starts out something, you don't expect them to learn how to do every damn thing in the console right away! When starting, Mandrake, Red Hat, and SuSe are used to help transfer Windows users to the Linux environment. Once they are familiar with doing some of the stuff in the console, then Slackware, Debian, or Gentoo can be a consideration.

And about the systems, all distros require about the same amount of resources. It's just that Mandrake might happen to include more software than Slackware or some other distro.

well I want to learn linux, but I tried slackware last night and it wouldnt load my vid card driver :/ Im gonna get rh8 back on to try out the new ati driver also.

I am using Mandrake 9.0. I tried out the new Linux driver with my Radeon 9700. Its nice, much better on the desktop, but OpenGL wasn't that fast in UT2003. I was getting maybe 15fps....but I dont use Linux for gaming anyways :-p

I tried to install the driver onto Mandrake 8.2, but I didn't have any luck.

irasnyd

Well what was your hardware situation with it, mezz?

I don't need to list my machines. Few of them are brand new.

And why would Mandrake be listed as the best distro according to LinuxWorld?

I never said that Slackware has the better pick up the hardware by automatic. Linux distro is Linux, so whole hardwares will work on any of them. Unless, it's binaries then it will be depend on what Linux distro. All I said is to do try Slackware, since he arleady downloaded it. The users need to taste many things. The rest left that I leave out, it's our own opinions.

well I want to learn linux, but I tried slackware last night and it wouldnt load my vid card driver

Well, that's not Slackware issue. That's XFree86's XF86Config configure issue. Those baby Linux distros create the nice GUI that will configure the XF86Config for you. Not in BSD, Slackware, Gentoo Linux and etc, but there have simple GUI and CLI made by XFree86 that will gen the XF86Config nice thought. Unless, you are taling about new driver made by ATI, then blame to ATI for not release the source or create binaries for Slackware.

Edited by mezz

Huh, the source code of hardware will work without question on any of Linux distro, peroid. Do not look for the excuse, they need to tweak blah blah, I already knew. I don't care, they just will work on any of Linux distro as long they release the source code.