Winamp 2.95 [global hotkey plugin]

Question

I have a dilemma, i need a global hotkey that works with Winamp 2.95 that works well and doesn't install any extras, If anyone can help me id be greatly appreciative.

13 answers to this question

you realize that version 5 is simply bloated uses about 15mb of ram when compared to 2mb has no cpu usage when compared to 4-5. Sounds the same has pretty much the same functionality, is faster, and more responsive.

I think i've justified the reasons why I reverted to the old version

Back on topic, thank DreamZ i'll try that out.

:edit:

Umm sorry to bother but I cannot locate this file. Any idea where it may be. I checked google with no luck, and I checked winamp.com and did a plugin search for Hotkeyz/Ultimate Hotkeyz/Ultimate with no result.

Thank you,

Edited by CrisCr0ss

you realize that version 5 is simply bloated uses about 15mb of ram when compared to 2mb has no cpu usage when compared to 4-5. Sounds the same has pretty much the same functionality, is faster, and more responsive.
Version 5 has new features. If you don't want them, remove the plugins. Other than that, it's the same.

They make upgrades for a reason. I'm not saying upgrade it, I never said anything about version 5 did I? If your computer struggles to run Winamp 5, maybe time for an upgrade?

How about this idea:

1. Backup your Winamp 2.95 folder.

2. Install Winamp 5.31 choosing only to install the global hotkeys plugin.

3. Copy that plugin from your Winamp Plugins folder to your old Winamp Plugins folder.

4. Copy your old Winamp back (if you really want)

for people telling me to upgrade you need to understand that just because I use a program that is less on resources doesn't mean my computer is ****ty. Id just rather my resources be used for things that are more neccessary such as gaming/video editing

Im sure winamp can run fine for a 3gig 1gig ram computer Its just i dont feel its as reliable as lets say 2.95. i'll try the winamp thing

Newest Winamp (lite version), 5k memory. Not bad at all.

EDIT: Actually that 5k is with it open. I have it minimized on the taskbar and I just use global hotkeys to control it. Like this is it 1.5k.

Edited by Yorak

Newest Winamp (lite version), 5k memory. Not bad at all.

EDIT: Actually that 5k is with it open. I have it minimized on the taskbar and I just use global hotkeys to control it. Like this is it 1.5k.

post-319588-1259023305_thumb.jpg

Well, Winamp 5 must be good for something right? Provided you have resources to waste and don't value your screen real estate much. Guess which Winamp is using 8.5 mb (with a skin and song playing) and which is using 53 mb (while sitting idle). Sry to dredge up this old thread. The points are still valid. I will check out the global hotkeys plugin as Yorak has suggested. If you really want to know why the major shift between version 2 and 5 you should research the history of the company.

In regards to original post query, this program brings the global keys back to winamp - uses about 1mb ram and is not a plugin (also has double click feature for middle mouse button) http://pieceofsoft.freebase.hu/

Edited by indianatennessee

Zombie tread arise!

You should check your Google-foo skills. Here's the exact plugin for Winamp 2.95. Found in 2 seconds straight search

Has a bit of weird customisation application, that's because of programming madskills for sure

The exact place for a plugin, so as a source code. (C-mon, anyone, make it better!)

http://www.dimin.net/software/winamp/DiminHotkeys.html

Here I copied the only needed for work of standart multimedia buttons, globally

.dll and .ini files

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1846455/temp/gen_DiminHotkeys.zip