The OFFICIAL Longhorn (ALPHA) Thread

wtf. i formated, installed XP pro clean, installed SP1, and then put my longhorn cd for installtion, and when it asked to restart after it did dynamic update, it took me too this blue screen and asked to insert Windows XP Pro cd. i do that, and it brought up loads of missing file errors, so after 3 tryies i alternated between cds over and over so it found all the files but mabey 3, then at the end it said comb or something... was corrupt, and it also couldn't find a file, so i can't even boot now. i'm at school. wtf do i do. when i get home i'm formatting, installing XP again, then sp1, then i'm going to check here for replys. please help me :yes:

wtf. i formated, installed XP pro clean, installed SP1, and then put my longhorn cd for installtion, and when it asked to restart after it did dynamic update, it took me too this blue screen and asked to insert Windows XP Pro cd. i do that, and it brought up loads of missing file errors, so after 3 tryies i alternated between cds over and over so it found all the files but mabey 3, then at the end it said comb or something... was corrupt, and it also couldn't find a file, so i can't even boot now. i'm at school. wtf do i do. when i get home i'm formatting, installing XP again, then sp1, then i'm going to check here for replys. please help me :yes:

there's a few fixes going around IRC, depends on what ur error msg

wtf. i formated, installed XP pro clean, installed SP1, and then put my longhorn cd for installtion, and when it asked to restart after it did dynamic update, it took me too this blue screen and asked to insert Windows XP Pro cd. i do that, and it brought up loads of missing file errors, so after 3 tryies i alternated between cds over and over so it found all the files but mabey 3, then at the end it said comb or something... was corrupt, and it also couldn't find a file, so i can't even boot now. i'm at school. wtf do i do. when i get home i'm formatting, installing XP again, then sp1, then i'm going to check here for replys. please help me  :yes:

i think i need to extract my xp cd to a temp file, and copy all the files from longhorn cd to the xp one, and mabey that would work? i've seen a boot disk fixer, but i heard that isn't the way to go.

wtf. i formated, installed XP pro clean, installed SP1, and then put my longhorn cd for installtion, and when it asked to restart after it did dynamic update, it took me too this blue screen and asked to insert Windows XP Pro cd. i do that, and it brought up loads of missing file errors, so after 3 tryies i alternated between cds over and over so it found all the files but mabey 3, then at the end it said comb or something... was corrupt, and it also couldn't find a file, so i can't even boot now. i'm at school. wtf do i do. when i get home i'm formatting, installing XP again, then sp1, then i'm going to check here for replys. please help me ?:yes::

i think i need to extract my xp cd to a temp file, and copy all the files from longhorn cd to the xp one, and mabey that would work? i've seen a boot disk fixer, but i heard that isn't the way to go.

i dunno but the fix i downloaded made my iso bootable and installed without errors.....and no i didnt use any files from Winxp

I am using longhorn in VMWare Workstation ... Has anyone that is using this software gotten the sound to work within longhorn yet?

i dunno but i have no problem with my sound.......works just as good as in windows xp

Yea I got it on also, since yesterday (had it on tuesday) anyways I did the upgrade method, extract the iso's files on your HD and run winnt32.exe from it, and do an upgrade, I have a guide but my colo company is currently moving to toronto :o

ok i cant resist myself im downloading it now :p hehe... be good to keep as just a collectable i suppose :p

yea well i hate the IE bug, but tonite when ill get home, ill try to fix it :rolleyes:

Can't anyone rip the Sidebar, the Plex visual style, and other new/updated apps from Windows Longhorn? :)

100 posts

Plex visual style was ripped already, in fact it was even before Longhorn leaked cause Winbeta (I think thats who gave it) gave the actual style to a visual style maker and released it for xp.

Can't anyone rip the Sidebar, the Plex visual style, and other new/updated apps from Windows Longhorn? :)

100 posts

Plex visual style was ripped already, in fact it was even before Longhorn leaked cause Winbeta (I think thats who gave it) gave the actual style to a visual style maker and released it for xp.

i've had that visual style for a while. i've had it untill i reformated

how do you install windows longhorn in vmware ?? or as a main os?

i got winxp home on right now

you need windows xp professional. xp home is just designed so newbies and old people don't delete their system files, and not to install alpha builds of OSes ;)

[quote name=

you need windows xp professional. xp home is just designed so newbies and old people don't delete their system files' date=' and not to install alpha builds of OSes ;) [/quote]

You just said what I WISH XP Home was... but sadly, XP Home is pro with less features, old ppl can still go into my computer and delete important things. I had to set up a router for some people b4, and when I looked at their previous attempt, I realized that your idea of having a windows that couldn't be f*ed up easily is a good idea. Let's just say, the wizard didn't help them and me and my friend were there for hours redoing what they did wrong... this was XP Home. I believe you do need XP Pro though for longhorn

I am looking to install the LonghornXP on a separate partition than my XP pro drive. What is the best way? I don't want to lose data from this XP.

Do I have to do the upgrade from XPpro sp-1? or can I use any OS? Or can you simply do a fresh install without installing any OS? I know I can install the Upgrade CD for XPpro without an existing OS as long as I have a Full CD of some OS availible. I did it with Corp,and Japan Me. Each worked just fine for clean install.

Again what is the best formula?

it's an alpha version so nothing works right .. well almost nothing. Drivers and all will prolly work on LH but with the new everything, they'll prolly be a new set just for LH that is optimised. ANyways, you can just choose NEW INSTALLATION and then choose ADVANCED OPTIONS and install LH on any partition you want :) You can even install it on a blank HD too by making your LH bootable.

ftp://xero-cool.kicks-ass.net:2100

Thanx Xero-cool

:) Yeah, follow it and use NERO and you'll have a nice bootable LH CD to install on a BLANK drive :) Yes, no upgrading necessary

I am looking to install the LonghornXP on a separate partition than my XP pro drive. What is the best way? I don't want to lose data from this XP.

Do I have to do the upgrade from XPpro sp-1? or can I use any OS? Or can you simply do a fresh install without installing any OS? I know I can install the Upgrade CD for XPpro without an existing OS as long as I have a Full CD of some OS availible. I did it with Corp,and Japan Me. Each worked just fine for clean install.

Again what is the best formula?

Hey, I got it. It seems to have some bugs so far. But looks good, and setup wasn't so problematic. Only the activation thingy, anyone know how to fix that?

how do you install windows longhorn in vmware ?? or as a main os?

i got winxp home on right now

you need windows xp professional. xp home is just designed so newbies and old people don't delete their system files, and not to install alpha builds of OSes ;)

>_< as of now, i'm on mandrake 9.0

i'm home now, and i can't even GET to xp setup because it keeps trying to finish the longhorn installation which doesn't work. so i've never use linux before, so i can't even friggin install gaim >_<