Hammer Named Athlon 64

LAS VEGAS - NOV. 19, 2002 - At Comdex, AMD (NYSE:AMD) today announced it has selected "AMD Athlon 64" as the brand name for its next-generation processor for desktop and mobile PCs, formerly code named "Clawhammer."

The upcoming AMD Athlon? 64 processor is expected to be the industry's first and only 64-bit, x86 PC processor for desktop and mobile computing. Desktop and mobile PCs built on the AMD Athlon 64 processor will be able to run 64-bit applications at full performance and simultaneously run 32-bit software applications with no performance penalty. It will enable the benefits desktop and mobile PC users want such as quicker loading of applications and better multi-tasking. Users will enjoy vivid realism and richer sound on digital entertainment such as games, streaming video and audio, DVDs and music.

"The 'AMD Athlon 64' brand name builds on the familiarity and reputation of the AMD Athlon processor and immediately conveys to customers the performance and technical superiority of its 64-bit computing capability," said Ed Ellett, vice president of client business segment for AMD's Computation Products Group.

27158A_Ath64_P_4C.jpg

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Corporate/Virtual...3~62652,00.html

Edited by username

the Clawhammer (desktop, mobile) = Athlon 64

the Hammer (server) = Opteron

I guess I should have used Clawhammer in the title, but most people called both of them "hammer."

I'd like to know what's going on with the Athlon MP, they're stuck at 2200+. I want to build a new system Summer 2003 but it must have dual processors (I do a lot of 3d animation and video work). According to their roadmap the MP should be reaching the Barton core come 1st quarter of 2003, but no word on these new chips and SMP.

I'm waiting for the Athlon 128 :p

I guess AMD didn't want to confuse people with Athlon DT. Seriously I don't think AMD needs the Athlon name, maybe something new might work better.....to sway people away from Intel's Pentium. Hammer would've been better since it merely implies "we crush the competition"

For this chip though I wonder what OS you would have to be running? I would think that it would have to be a 64-bit OS in order to take advantage of 64-bit apps, but would it run on 32-bit OSs such as Windows 2K/XP or Linux? I also wonder what beta 64-bit version of Windows did AMD use for their demos.