Photo

Where does FNPLicensingService.exe come from?

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 Bryan84

Bryan84

With God, nothing is impossible!

Posted 08 November 2006 - 14:50

Does anyone knows where does FNPLicensingService.exe comes from?

#2 _BeanZ_

_BeanZ_

Neowinian

Posted 08 November 2006 - 17:56

only (software based) reference to FNP I can find is FLEXnet Publisher from Macrovision, which apparently contains a Licensing Module.

#3 OP Bryan84

Bryan84

Posted 09 November 2006 - 01:26

how the heck it got into my computer running .. ermm any idea which i should uninstall ?

#4 Hitchhiker427

Hitchhiker427

Neowinian

Posted 09 November 2006 - 02:17

This license could be used for a number of pieces of software. It's usually there for higher-end industry based software. For example, all Autodesk software, Matlab, and OrCAD use this to maintain a legit license on the machine (in place of a dongle or something). What software do you have?

EDIT: I forgot to mention that although this service is set to 'automatic' by default it's usually alright to switch it to 'manual'. The software that it's licensing will turn it on only if it's needed.

#5 OP Bryan84

Bryan84

Posted 09 November 2006 - 09:40

argh .. maybe because i install Adobe Acrobat 8 ...

#6 Williamx

Williamx

Neowinian

Posted 10 November 2006 - 04:17

argh .. maybe because i install Adobe Acrobat 8 ...

Yes, the same as I.

#7 MikesLogic

MikesLogic

Neowinian

Posted 15 November 2006 - 18:58

Yeah if you have installed Acrobat 8 you will get this program popping up. It is used for the update feature. One way to quell it is stop the service FLEXnet Licensing Service and set it to disabled, this will prevent it from running which should not be a problem.

#8 TheNay

TheNay

Urbanist & Techie

Posted 15 November 2006 - 19:02

Yup, its Adobe Acrobat 8 ;) Sounds fishy to me, privacy issues? hmm...
I would disable it if I were you. I hate companies who add services that aren't needed.

#9 CybPsych

CybPsych

Neowinian

Posted 17 November 2006 - 07:21

is there a definite way to disable this service permanently?

i've tried numerous methods including from services.msc, renaming folder, renaming exe, deleting it, etc. etc.. The installshield keep recovering the files from the local cache. If i remove the local cache files, it will definitely ask for it anyway ... :crazy:

#10 MikesLogic

MikesLogic

Neowinian

Posted 17 November 2006 - 13:57

I see what keeps putting it back in play. The Acrobat Assistant seems to be the problem. Here is how I stopped it from showing up anymore.

First kill Acrobat Assistant from your HKLM / Run registry entry.
Then stop and disable the FLEXnet Licensing Service.

Or, I've included a reg file that will remove the Acrobat Assistant autorun entry and disable the FLEXnet Licensing Service in case you aren't registry or services savvy. Run that file and kill the FNPLicensingService.exe from Windows Task Manager and you shouldn't see it anymore.

Attached Files

#11 Guest_craft660_*

Guest_craft660_*

Posted 17 November 2006 - 17:07

I see what keeps putting it back in play. The Acrobat Assistant seems to be the problem. Here is how I stopped it from showing up anymore.

First kill Acrobat Assistant from your HKLM / Run registry entry.
Then stop and disable the FLEXnet Licensing Service.

Or, I've included a reg file that will remove the Acrobat Assistant autorun entry and disable the FLEXnet Licensing Service in case you aren't registry or services savvy. Run that file and kill the FNPLicensingService.exe from Windows Task Manager and you shouldn't see it anymore.

so is this the only way, can't you completely uninstall it or does acrobat reinstall it after every use?
I feel a bit hesitant having a program from macrovision on my hd

#12 SpyCatcher

SpyCatcher

Neowinian

Posted 17 November 2006 - 17:41

The only draw back to turning off flex licensing on my end is that photoshop runs very sluggish, have not tested Acrobat 8 to see its reaction.

#13 MikesLogic

MikesLogic

Neowinian

Posted 17 November 2006 - 19:05

Running the Distiller launches the Acrobat Assistant(acrotray.exe) which resets fnplicensing thing and reinstalls macrovision crap. Also it seems to randomly reinstall itself I haven't found a fully working work around yet, if I do I will post it here.

You can delete the Macrovision folder in Program File\Common Files\ after deleting the autorun setting and disabling FLEXnet service.

I do not use Adobe Photoshop but I imagine it does some of the same things this new Acrobat does, so it is slowing down from reinstalling or restarting the FLEXnet service even though you have it set to disabled.

Edited by MikesLogic, 17 November 2006 - 19:30.

#14 Simon-

Simon-

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 November 2006 - 12:11

:huh: This is an English language forum.

Why aren't you guys using Foxit Reader instead?

#15 daring drop

daring drop

Neowinian

Posted 05 December 2006 - 17:31

i have the same problem, FNPLicensingServer, after i installed adobe acrobat pro 8.

my solution is:
1. kill the process "FNPLicensingService.exe" from the Task Manager
2. go to \Program Files\Common Files\Macrovision Shared\FLEXnet Publisher\ and delete the 2 files "FNPLicensingService.exe" and "fnp_registrations.xml" and instead create 2 folders with the same name/extension.

when you start acrobat now it wont be able to create those 2 files which you have deleted and replaced with the folders, so FNP service wont be able to start.
i hope this helps for everyone.
:whistle:

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!