What happened before the Big Bang?

God.

"He" always existed. As a matter of fact God is beyond time, time exists inside of God, God is the 5th Dimension, which is existence itself.

im following you except the 5th dimension part

This is some scary stuff, thanks for all of these ideas I think I got more than what I bargained for Im left with more questions than before but I think I have a general grasp of this idea now

Someone divided by zero?

Slightly more serious answer. We don't know, and may possibly never be able to know. One theory is that there was no 'before', and that the Big Bang created time and space (time and space of course being the same thing just viewed from slightly different perspectives - sort of). This of course raises a whole bunch of questions that our mortal minds find exceptionally hard to even begin to comprehend like "If the big bang created space, where did it happen?"

Basically, you're not going to get an answer to this one, even the most brilliant theoretical physicists of our time don't know.

Before the big bang... Hmm, That's when Krypton was getting too close to the sun and Kal-El just left in the crystal space ship, right. :rolleyes: Oh, that might have been a different galaxy.

Did the big bang create the universe or just the milky way?

everyone is talking about the big bang as if it really happened. its just a theory, which has many errors according to quantum mechanics/physics.

Your treating the term theory as if it's an unsupported idea. Scientific theories are self-evident in a way, science does not delude itself, if something is wrong, it's dismissed and the process starts again. The big bang is a solid theory and has more going for it than against it, we just don't understand it completely yet.

Did the big bang create the universe or just the milky way?

Everything.

Depends on your point of view. If it's String Theory, we are the result of just one of many Big Bangs which could have been caused by another Universe.

It's its one of the time based loop theories, the big bang is caused the by the destruction of our own Universe (reaching I think on this one).

Or we could be one part of a far denser Universe and our Universe's lifespan is that of an atom in ours.

I'd generally go with a mix of string theory and time based phenomenon. So that means something caused the big bang through either parallel universe or some such.

But to be honest, the Big Bang theory seems really 'childish'.

I know Hawkings a genius and far more intelligent then me (by x 100's), but doesn't it seem like a cop-out?

What created us; mmmm; I know! A Big Bang! "lolz" (or something like that).

No I'm not religious and don't think a god created it all in 7 days, especially building Earth in the dark.

Then what started all of these infinte series of big bangs? Was there ever a time when t=0? What was before t=0 that casued t=1 and what casued that?

A lot really depends on what you believe in - either evolution or creation. If you think that the universe with all its immutable physical laws simply came into existence by accident, then you'll never know the answer. Of course, if you believe that a vastly superior intelligent designer was behind the universe, then you can come to grips with what happened before. Additionally, like was mentioned, "before" is a relative term. If TIME was one of the things created that is an integral part of the universe, then there was no before. But if you believe everything happened without a first cause (which goes against everything that experience has taught us) then you're really in a pickle!

devHead

But to be honest, the Big Bang theory seems really 'childish'.

I know Hawkings a genius and far more intelligent then me (by x 100's), but doesn't it seem like a cop-out?

What created us; mmmm; I know! A Big Bang! "lolz" (or something like that).

You've obviously a grasp on physics and such so why you've simplified the big bang in your view so much I don't know. The term big bang was coined disparagingly but it stuck, we all know there's much much more to it than that really.

Since "before" is a temporal concept, one cannot ask what came before the Big Bang and therefore "caused" it, at least not within the context of any known physics. (At least one cosmological theory, however, predicts that our universe's Big Bang is part of a chain reaction in which the demise of one universe spawns the birth of many, parallel, universes. According to this scenario, our universe may simply be part of a huge, infinitely growing fractal.)

If Time is just a demension, it did not exist pre-big bang. So there was no 'before.' At the moment of the sigularity, t=0. As to what caused this sigularity to exist or occur, that's up for debate. IMAO, God was the prime mover.

According to quantum mechanics (which seems to be the "in" thing these days with scientists) is that the big bang was not the beginning. it is just an event which happens when parallel universes collide :p

Yes, its just a theory, but it makes more sense than a bang happening from nothingness... it's quite ridiculous actually, nothing getting so dense that it explodes lol, how can nothing get dense, if it gets dense it is not "nothing" is it...

If Time is just a demension, it did not exist pre-big bang. So there was no 'before.' At the moment of the sigularity, t=0. As to what caused this sigularity to exist or occur, that's up for debate. IMAO, God was the prime mover.

God? It's a poor man's science relying on religion to explain things.

Let's not forget there are also theories that assume the universe is Holographic

Cold Fusion approach to cosmogenesis

* The holographic "creation" of universes might not involve extraordinarily high temperatures, in which case it could be called the Cold Fusion approach to cosmogenesis (the production of universes). Each universe arises from a big bang, but the megauniverse they belong to has no beginning (thanks to time-travelling cosmogenicists) and no end (thanks to energy influxes from later big bangs which "create" other regions of space-time). And it maintains its average density through continuous "creation" (actually, recycling) of matter via the small amount from a preceding universe which is used to initiate expansion of its successor.

* continued

we need to abandon our purely linear or serial concept of time which says universe B can only come into existence after universe A?s origin, and embrace a holistic or whole-istic concept where universes B and A (and all others) coexist.

http://www.en.articlesgratuits.com/relativ...erse-id1026.php

"There was nothing" This is what most people think. However, there had to have been something, be it Energy or Dark energy, depending on what you believe in most.

Right. Because most people think of the big bang as matter expanding into an infinitely empty universe, whereas it's more or less space/spacetime/whatever itself expanding.... Right?

"There was nothing" This is what most people think. However, there had to have been something, be it Energy or Dark energy, depending on what you believe in most.

The ones who say "there was nothing before the big bang" I personnally think they are VERY wrong. Let me explain:

1. to create a bang you need chemicals and/or gasses

2. for an explosion to occur, you need laws, some people like to call them the laws "of physics"

If you do not have these 2 things, there can be no "bang"

Now the question is, where did these gasses and laws "of physics" come from before the "big bang"?