What happened before the Big Bang?

When is the last time you took an astronomy, chemistry, or cosmology class, let alone picked up a book on said subjects? Your argument is extremely weak kid, i suggest you do some research on what the Big Bang is, before trying to argue against it.

I think you misunderstood.

I was talking about the topic at hand, you know, "before the big bang". Not the whole big bang topic itself.

There has to be an environment which has the appropriate chemicals/gases/laws before the bang can happen. where did that environment come from, how did it get there, why did it get there. The only explanation is "god".

Thanks for that, you basically summed up why religion exists. Humans created religion and the idea of gods to explain what they couldn't understand. It's been show through history time and again. But as we have discovered more and more, answering the how's and why's the idea of God is getting dismissed, because it was only an excuse to begin with, and still remains an excuse.

Just because you can't explain it, doesn't justify claiming "because of god."

That is part of M-theory (a subset of string theory). Those "sheets" arranged side by side would be called branes.

M-theory is far from universally accepted. It requires the universe to contain 11 dimensions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M-theory

Before the big bang anything is possible. 1+1 might equal 3. :D

BRANES THATS THE WORD I WAS LOOKING FOR. *enlightened*

Thanks for that, you basically summed up why religion exists. Humans created religion and the idea of gods to explain what they couldn't understand. It's been show through history time and again. But as we have discovered more and more, answering the how's and why's the idea of God is getting dismissed, because it was only an excuse to begin with, and still remains an excuse.

Just because you can't explain it, doesn't justify claiming "because of god."

So what you are saying it that the whole universe was nothing but a chance, the big bang happened for no reason, for no reason some random laws "just came" for no reason and caused a big bang, which amazingly created everything we see today.

Something cannot happen from nothing i.e. (these strange unknown laws which probably existed before time, they did not get there on there own, and if there were other laws before these strange laws, these other laws did not get there on there own either).

Talking about time, if there was no time before the big bang, how can the big bang happen? How can these laws get dense enough to explode, you need time for that. but there was no time then. The way I see it is, those laws before time were constructed. The did not happen for no reason.

So what you are saying is that there is no purpose to life, we are just born live till around 70 80 earning money paying for a mortgage all our life, then at the end of all the effort we die and thats it?

So what you are saying it that the whole universe was nothing but a chance, the big bang happened for no reason, for no reason some random laws "just came" for no reason and caused a big bang, which amazingly created everything we see today.

Something cannot happen from nothing i.e. (these strange unknown laws which probably existed before time, they did not get there on there own, and if there were other laws before these strange laws, these other laws did not get there on there own either).

Talking about time, if there was no time before the big bang, how can the big bang happen? How can these laws get dense enough to explode, you need time for that. but there was no time then. The way I see it is, those laws before time were constructed. The did not happen for no reason.

So what you are saying is that there is no purpose to life, we are just born live till around 70 80 earning money paying for a mortgage all our life, then at the end of all the effort we die and thats it?

a) Even with your assumption, it does not support the existance of god

b) using your assumption, where did god come from

a) Even with your assumption, it does not support the existance of god

b) using your assumption, where did god come from

2 good points!

a) You're right it does not, but for me it says that something superior to us exists which we cannot understand. a superior mind/being/god whatever you want to call it.

b) The answer to that is a religious answer, so I don't think there is any point me saying it here. :D

but for me it says that something superior to us exists which we cannot understand. a superior mind/being/god whatever you want to call it.

Just because there is something we cannot explain is not evidence of a god. Its an old cliche, human instinct to put faith in a higher power when we have no explaination.

Im not saying there is no god. But im pretty certain its not the type of god pounded into us by the churches.

Believe it or not, there's many people who think that aliens had a part in the "big bang" :laugh: That's no joke. I remember seeing it on a documentary on The History Channel and I sat there like :blink: because they were soo serious about it, yet couldn't really explain their theories :laugh:

What do I honestly think? I think it's a question we're nowhere near ready to answer yet

First you laugh at people believing in aliens having an involvment in the big bang. The next thing you say, we don't know yet. So, if you dont know, why are you lauing at people's idea? Because according to your logic they could or could not be wrong...but you are laughing at them like they are wrong for sure. Why do you laugh at them then?

The point is, if there is a God or some active force behind the universe, we're either completely oblivious to it or it doesn't want to make itself apparent to us. Church dogma is the problem people seem to have with religion, not the idea of something higher than our understanding. Similarly science does not like the idea of something being immune to our methods or understanding - even pluralistically - I resign myself to complete agnosticism therefore. I will not live my life for a God who does not make them self evident to me with the faculties given to me; reasoning and logic. But I will not be arrogant and pretend I am confident there is not another 'dimension' or aspect to the universe we are unable to conceive, let alone perceive. This has been a hard issue for me over the last 5 months or so and I have to say, I just don't know. I'm just glad I'm free of religion.

I don't have a theory of what happened before the big bang, but there is this theory I read somewhere that was very interesting. This theory stated that we could send a camera or some kind of light collector very far away. So far away in a place where light from the earth hasn't reached yet ( at some certain time ), and then we could really tell if there was a big bang. To put it in basic terms, when we look at the stars, we look into the past because light from the stars take years at the speed of light to get here. So, if we take a light collector of some kind and place it very far away when the "big bang" is about to happen, then we would be able to tell what really happened. But to put it this far away, we would need some kind of teleportation, which is barely being invented today.

How about this theory: http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn4879

But then our whole universe could just be a speck of dust on some aliens shoulder! :D

And as of March 16,2006 the theory of inflation was confirmed by mapping out the CMB ( cosmic microwave background) which yielded an average density that is:

Ω=1

Which means the universe is flat, and open, thus expansion will continue.

And as of March 16,2006 the theory of inflation was confirmed by mapping out the CMB ( cosmic microwave background) which yielded an average density that is:

Ω=1

Which means the universe is flat, and open, thus expansion will continue.

Thats agreed.

No one here knows the answer. You and I know that.

Most physicists point to quantum fluctuations, perhaps tunneling of some sort that led to instabilty in which led to the creation of the universe.

Most physicists point to quantum fluctuations, perhaps tunneling of some sort that led to instabilty in which led to the creation of the universe.

I think that's what he's trying to say. That people can point at whatever they want, but it doesn't make it true, or even near the truth for that matter.