Vista will be available for MSDNAA on Nov. 17th

UPDATE DEC 5th

Ok well it's finally out but only Business editions. I was wrong about Vista being completely done. Looks like they're still working on Ultimate Extras. Hopefully though, it will be really cheap to do an express upgrade from Business to Ultimate with a student discount.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My university is offering free Vista Ultimate download on Nov. 17th and I know a lot of other people were asking when it would be available for college students so there you go. Yes, it's listed as Ultimate and not Business. For skeptics about the specific version, remember that Vista is done. The reason the Business version is being released so much earlier than Ultimate is because MS needs to give hardware and software vendors a lot of time to write drivers and whatnot before consumers get their hands on it (due to the fact that consumers use many more devices and software than businesses). Anyways can't wait for Friday :D

Also, it's recently been discovered that the warez version that a lot of people here are using (the one with bill gates' name on it) is actually a mash up of beta and rtm files. tsk, tsk... :no:

EDIT: I've been checking my schools site periodically and this is the message that has been up all day since this morning...

299830465_ef90421aaf_o.jpg

I guess the servers are being hammered pretty bad even now.

EDIT #2: The latest word is that it should be out by Dec 1st. MS is having a tough time generating cd keys fast enough to keep up with the demand

Edited by psyko_x

My university is soooo slow with these things, I have a feeling it may take as long as the end of the winter term. Oh well, I'm getting a new notebook next summer anyways.

Let's not focus on the warez topic guys. The only reason I briefly brought it up was because people who were using it might be experiencing wierd bugs which the real Vista doesn't have and knowing this fact should now prevent them from making posts like "Vista blows ass, my blah blah crashes"

which university are you at? or is it for all universities that are part of MSDNAA

I'm at the University of Illinois, but I'm sure a lot of universities will do the same.

Also, it's recently been discovered that the warez version that a lot of people here are using (the one with bill gates' name on it) is actually a mash up of beta and rtm files. tsk, tsk... :no:

No source = not very credible imo.

where did you find out about this? i wanna know if my school is offering it too lol

Does your school host a website where you normally download software? If so, then check that site to see if they say anything about Vista coming soon.

Where did you get that date? :shiftyninja:

It's listed as a software option for us and if I click the link it takes me here (well not to flickr lol, but here's a screenshot):

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=297119525&size=o

I go University of Kentucky, and the MSDNAA site for the UK Computer Science department doesn't list Vista in the software drop-down box. Are you saying that you can actually select Vista from that list, and then you are provided the information in the image?

I go University of Kentucky, and the MSDNAA site for the UK Computer Science department doesn't list Vista in the software drop-down box. Are you saying that you can actually select Vista from that list, and then you are provided the information in the image?

yea:

297164885_d492d6af7a_o.jpg

holy, you have access to a whole lot more software than my MSDNAA site gives me access to... We were lucky to get XP Pro and Visual Studio 2005

LOL yea we get visual studio, xp, and server 2003 - that about covers it, then again I go to a community college :\

Yes that's why all the files are version 6000 right? I seriously doubt someone would or could change the version numbers of all 40,000+ files.

Yes that's why all the files are version 6000 right? I seriously doubt someone would or could change the version numbers of all 40,000+ files.

Yeah well, I'm sure it can be automated. Microsoft changed them all, no reason why a small focused group of individuals couldn't, especially with what's at stake, being the first to give a proper release of Vista Final (in the warez community that's big).

Hell, I might even do it if it brought a sort of prestige to my name.