Vista will be available for MSDNAA on Nov. 17th

The university I work at has got Vista and Office Enterprise 2007 through volume licensing.. i'd not even looked at a review of Office before I tried it and I have to say its a weeeee bit of a departure looks wise from previous versions! I didn't know where to begin with using it! :D

Does the website layout/design can be changed by the program administrator? Cause mine is a lot different from that one:

http://msdn60.e-academy.com/elms/Storefron...362&np1=112

The links seem somewhat different too...

IME most MSDNAA sites have the domain msdnXX.e-academy.com like yours. I guess schools can customize if they want by setting up a site with blah.e-academy.com, rather than use a default Microsoft-designed msdnXX.e-academy.com site.

Edit: Oh, looks like the msdnXX.e-academy.com sites only offer Microsoft software. If you want to offer more than that I guess you have to set up a new site.

Is it? There are more desktop users than businesses. That alone should say enough. Businesses run the same software and hardware for all their machines (for the most part). On the other hand, your neighbor's desktop pc probably has significantly different hardware and software specs.

Think about what kinds of things desktop users do. Upgrading video cards, a new wireless mouse, new soundcards, webcams, physics cards, testing shareware/freeware software (constantly installing/uninstalling) and so on. Desktop users do it all the time, businesses don't. They plan and set up what they will use for software and hardware at the beginning.

Even if you mean home users by saying desktop, you are still wrong. Businesses use a lot more PC's and a lot more diverse software and hardware. Just ask your self a quistion: "who has more money to spend, companies or families?" or "what is the most significant source of income for Microsoft: businesses (Windows Server and Pro and all other software that they make which targets businesses) or Families (Windows Home)?. Clearly, Microsoft makes more money off of other companies. But that's going a little off topic.

Home PC usage centers around multimedia. Now think about all the programs businesses use, the span is huge (accounting, financial, marketing, database, programming, content creation (video, audio, web publishing), security,...I could go on and on).

Have you done some 3D modelling lately with 3D Max? or maybe architectural/engineering design with AutoCAD? (btw, check the prices for these @ www.autodesk.com, its two-three thousand dollars each).

Now back to your statement:

due to the fact that consumers use many more devices and software than businesses

It was naive to assume that, but that's ok, you can't know everything and we learn somethign new everyday, right? ;)

My university only lists a few products on MSDNAA:

Access 2003

Project 2002 and 2003

Visio 2003 and 2003

Windows XP Pro

Windows 2003 Standard

Windows 2003 Enterprise

Visual Studio 2003

Visual Studio 2005

MSDN Library

No sign of Vista! :(

post-1865-1163868457_thumb.jpg

My university only lists a few products on MSDNAA:

Access 2003

Project 2002 and 2003

Visio 2003 and 2003

Windows XP Pro

Windows 2003 Standard

Windows 2003 Enterprise

Visual Studio 2003

Visual Studio 2005

MSDN Library

No sign of Vista! :(

we've got alot more on our uni's AA, got quite a few version of windows , such as XP pro with SP1, XP pro with SP2 , XP pro without SP etc so in theiry you can download all these separate version and key 3 valid keys to use :)

looks exactly like this

http://msdn60.e-academy.com/elms/Storefron...362&np1=112

Even if you mean home users by saying desktop, you are still wrong. Businesses use a lot more PC's and a lot more diverse software and hardware. Just ask your self a quistion: "who has more money to spend, companies or families?" or "what is the most significant source of income for Microsoft: businesses (Windows Server and Pro and all other software that they make which targets businesses) or Families (Windows Home)?. Clearly, Microsoft makes more money off of other companies. But that's going a little off topic.

Home PC usage centers around multimedia. Now think about all the programs businesses use, the span is huge (accounting, financial, marketing, database, programming, content creation (video, audio, web publishing), security,...I could go on and on).

Have you done some 3D modelling lately with 3D Max? or maybe architectural/engineering design with AutoCAD? (btw, check the prices for these @ www.autodesk.com, its two-three thousand dollars each).

Now back to your statement:

It was naive to assume that, but that's ok, you can't know everything and we learn somethign new everyday, right? ;)

Um, no. I said businesses use industry standard software and you simply reinforced that that giving me some examples like 3d MAX and AutoCAD. Businesses aren't able to choose from 100+ CAD software or 100+ 3d modeling software like 3D MAX. There truly are a handful of standards used in any industry. For every piece of software you list for me I can easily list twice as many that home users might use, but businesses don't. For example, I could go to download.com or betanews.com and copy and paste the names of the software they have for download:

Duplicate File Detector 1.9

November 17 - 5:21 PM ET

Powerful tool to search for file duplicates on your computer

AVS DVD Player 2.2.7.105

November 17 - 4:57 PM ET

Start watching DVD movies with no additional software

CSS Spy 1.0 RC1

November 17 - 5:20 PM ET

Cascade style sheet editor

Web Research (formerly ContentSaver) Professional 2.6.3412

November 17 - 4:42 PM ET

Stores and organizes Web content for archiving and later viewing

KeyCue 2.1

November 17 - 5:19 PM ET

Find, learn, and remember menu shortcuts

TaskFiles 1.1

November 17 - 4:41 PM ET

Find what that unknown application is doing on your system and what files its using

PopChar Win 2.2

November 17 - 5:17 PM ET

Type special characters without keyboard combos

mIRC Power Pack 8.00 RC9

November 17 - 4:35 PM ET

Powerful full script for mIRC designed for gamers

PopChar X 3.0

November 17 - 5:15 PM ET

Lets you insert special characters, accented and foreign letters into your documents

Romeo Burner 1.0 RC1

November 17 - 4:13 PM ET

Delicate CD/DVD composer and burner perfectly integrated in Windows Explorer

Typinator 1.5

November 17 - 5:14 PM ET

Automates typing of frequently used text and pictures

gView 1.1

November 17 - 3:56 PM ET

Small image viewer program

That's a quick little example from betanews. They of course don't have every piece of software desktop users might use so once I run out of software to list from that site, I could find more on Tucows, download.com, softpedia, etc. Also, you may have forgotten to think about how many PC games there are and how businesses just don't run any of those.

.NET Component Update CD 
.NET Framework 1.1 SDK 
Access 2003 
Exchange Server 2000 Enterprise Edition 
Exchange Server 2003 Enterprise Edition 
InfoPath 2003 
InfoPath 2003 Toolkit for Visual Studio Tools for Office 2005 
Macro Assembler 6.11 
MapPoint 2004 European - Run Disc (2/2) 
MapPoint 2004 European - Setup Disc (1/2) 
MapPoint 2004 North America - Run Disc (2/2) 
MapPoint 2004 North America - Setup Disc (1/2) 
MELL - Developer Edition for MSDNAA 
MSDN Library (Visual Studio .NET) CD1 ISO (Jan 2004) 
MSDN Library (Visual Studio .NET) CD2 ISO (Jan 2004) 
MSDN Library (Visual Studio .NET) CD3 ISO (Jan 2004) 
MSDN Library (Visual Studio .NET) Full (Jan 2004) 
MSDN Library - May 2006 - CD1 
MSDN Library - May 2006 - CD2 
MSDN Library - May 2006 - CD3 
MSDN Library for Visual Studio 2005 - CD1 
MSDN Library for Visual Studio 2005 - CD2 
MSDN Library for Visual Studio 2005 - CD3 
MSDN Subscriptions Library (Full) 
Office FrontPage 2003 
OneNote 2003 
Project Professional 2002 (Single-User) 
Project Professional 2003 
Project Server 2003 
SQL Server 2000 Developer Edition 
SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Edition 
SQL Server 2000 SP3a 
SQL Server 2005 Developer Edition - 32-bit - CD1 
SQL Server 2005 Developer Edition - 32-bit - CD2 
SQL Server 2005 Developer Edition - 64-bit Extended - CD1 
SQL Server 2005 Developer Edition - 64-bit Extended - CD2 
SQL Server 2005 Express Edition 
SQL Server 2005 Standard Edition - 32-bit - CD1 
SQL Server 2005 Standard Edition - 32-bit - CD2 
SQL Server 2005 Standard Edition - 32-bit - DVD 
SQL Server 2005 Standard Edition - 64-bit Extended - CD1 
SQL Server 2005 Standard Edition - 64-bit Extended - CD2 
SQL Server 2005 Standard Edition - 64-bit Extended - DVD 
SQL Server 2005 Workgroup Edition - 32-bit - DVD 
Virtual PC 2004 
Visio for Enterprise Architects 
Visio Professional 2002 (Single User) 
Visio Professional 2003 
Visual Basic 2005 Express Edition 
Visual C# 2005 Express Edition 
Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition 
Visual J# .NET 
Visual J# 2005 Express Edition 
Visual SourceSafe 6.0d 
Visual Studio .NET 2003 Professional - Full Install 
Visual Studio .NET 2005 Professional - Full Install 
Visual Studio .NET Academic Student Tools 2003 
Visual Studio .NET Academic Teaching Tools 2003 
Visual Studio .NET Pro 2002 - ISO Image - CD1 
Visual Studio .NET Pro 2002 - ISO Image - CD2 
Visual Studio .NET Pro 2002 - ISO Image - CD3 
Visual Studio .NET Pro 2002 - ISO Image - CD4 
Visual Studio .NET Pro 2002 - ISO Image - CD5 
Visual Studio .NET Professional 2002 (Full) 
Visual Studio .NET Professional 2003 - CD1 
Visual Studio .NET Professional 2003 - CD2 
Visual Studio .NET Professional 2003 CD1 ISO 
Visual Studio .NET Professional 2003 CD2 ISO 
Visual Studio .NET Professional 2003 Prerequisites Disc 
Visual Studio .NET Professional 2003 Prerequisites ISO 
Visual Studio 2005 Professional Edition CD1 
Visual Studio 2005 Professional Edition CD2 
Visual Studio 2005 Standard Edition CD1 
Visual Studio 2005 Standard Edition CD2 
Visual Studio 2005 Team Foundation Server Trial Edition 
Visual Studio 2005 Team Suite - CD1 
Visual Studio 2005 Team Suite - CD2 
Visual Studio 2005 Team Suite - CD3 
Visual Studio 2005 Tools for the Microsoft Office System 
Visual Studio 6 Pro - Disc 1 
Visual Studio 6 Pro - Disc 2 
Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition 
Windows 2000 Advanced Server (with SP4) 
Windows 2000 Professional (with SP4) 
Windows 2000 Server (with SP4) 
Windows 2000 SP 4 
Windows 98 Second Edition 
Windows CE .NET 4.2 Disc 1 
Windows CE .NET 4.2 Disc 2 
Windows CE .NET 4.2 Disc 3 
Windows CE .NET 4.2 Disc 4 
Windows CE .NET 4.2 Disc 5 
Windows CE .NET 4.2 Disc 6 
Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition 
Windows Server 2003 R2 Enterprise x64 Edition - Disc 1 
Windows Server 2003 R2 Enterprise x64 Edition - Disc 2 
Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition 
Windows Server 2003 Web Edition 
Windows Services for UNIX 3.0 
Windows XP Embedded 
Windows XP Professional (Single User) 
Windows XP Professional (Single User) 64bit Edition 
Windows XP Professional with SP2 (Single User) ISO Image 

This is what is available for my school... No Vista yet :(

Also, you may have forgotten to think about how many PC games there are and how businesses just don't run any of those.

That's it, you nailed it! They run software and hardware to create those instead :p And it takes a lot more than one programe to create one game :D

If you still can't agree that businesses use more software, (and that's exactly why businesses got thier hands on vista first, to prepare their products for Vista internally and externally for Vista's consumer launch - something that you were so upset in your original post) then I'm sorry for you...

Edited by Zhivago

That's it, you nailed it! They run software and hardware to create those instead :p And it takes a lot more than one programe to create one game :D

If you still can't agree that businesses use more software, (and that's exactly why businesses got thier hands on vista first, to prepare their products for Vista internally and externally for Vista's consumer launch - something that you were so upset in your original post) then I'm sorry for you...

lol ok

I'm from UIUC as well as it looks like some of you guys are. I was pretty disappointed to see the latest message they have up for the Vista download. They better get that straightened out soon and up for us. I hope the information wasn't completely false that they would have it last friday.

I'm from UIUC as well as it looks like some of you guys are. I was pretty disappointed to see the latest message they have up for the Vista download. They better get that straightened out soon and up for us. I hope the information wasn't completely false that they would have it last friday.

I'm guessing its because of all the extra traffic from the ****ing beta testers on connect that forced ms to not put it up yet on msdnaa and take it down on msdn till all the current downloaders are done or something. I wish they released it to the beta testers AFTER us msdn and msdnaa users all got it...

I'm guessing its because of all the extra traffic from the ****ing beta testers on connect that forced ms to not put it up yet on msdnaa and take it down on msdn till all the current downloaders are done or something. I wish they released it to the beta testers AFTER us msdn and msdnaa users all got it...

Microsoft does not host MSDNAA downloads, the colleges themselves host.

I'm seeing nothing on mine yet. Does anyone in the UK have a notice similar to the UIUC one, or have it available yet?

This would be a very good Christmas present from Microsoft to University students around the world :p.

A couple hundred downloads is nothing for Microsoft's bandwidth.

Obviously something DID affect their bandwidth if you have read the reports of people getting low speeds while downloading off msdn. How do you explain microsoft pulling vista off msdn? Please shut your mouth before you make yourself look anyworse.

Oh and heres a link just incase you can't find it for yourself:

https://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=513720