Migrating To Linux

hi, currently i'm trying to learn linux by myself........one question that i would like to ask all linux users that were previously windows user is "how did ou take your first step toward migrating to linux?" That was one thing that i tried to do since and long long time, but never acomlished feeling the need to return to windows. I'm sick of windows but i can get rid of it....so, comments and advices are welcomed...thanks............

why don't you partition your harddrive and have 'em both?

i did, but i find my self bootin into Xp thousands of times more often than i do on linux,...that's the problem........

hi, currently i'm trying to learn linux by myself........one question that i would like to ask all linux users that were previously windows user is "how did ou take your first step toward migrating to linux?"

The first steps would be finding out what parts of your hardware would be supported by a particular distro. If something isn't, can you really live without it until it is?

Also, what do you primarily use your computer for? If you're a gamer, use Photoshop a lot, or find yourself using some of the more esoteric functions of Microsoft Office, you should probably keep Windows around. But if you don't care for any of that Windows isn't too important.

I would have to recommend Mandrake as the distro for migrating newbies, because of the hardware support and brain-dead easy install process.

I personally consider it a must to have an artsy desktop, be it under windows or linux. Why? It makes learning to do things and making adjustments to the way you used to do things easier. For that I recommend KDE as your window manager, and get ahold of the Crystal icon set and Mosfet's Liquid theme. It's simply beautiful.

Well, there are some tips. Didn't want to make the post too long-winded. Any other questions and I could point you in the direction of some amazing sites.

i did, but i find my self bootin into Xp thousands of times more often than i do on linux,...that's the problem........

www.xosl.org

If that's all the problem is, click the link above and set yourself up with a new boot loader which you can configure.

www.xosl.org

If that's all the problem is, click the link above and set yourself up with a new boot loader which you can configure.

you missed understood me....^^

what i meant is that i manually tend to boot into windows because i need it sooo much......^^ not related to boot loader problem. ...

www.xosl.org

what i meant is that i manually tend to boot into windows because i need it sooo much......^^ not related to boot loader problem. ...

Oh, my bad! :rolleyes:

What do you do under Windows that you can't find you can do under Linux (what distro are you using at the moment?)?

Is it because of games? ugly linux fonts?

The way I learned things was that I wiped my disk clean of Windows and played around with Mandrake and only Mandrake for an entire month to force myself to learn many things. Sure it was kinda harsh not being able to play Civ3 and the like for a while but I toughed it out.

LOL until I screwed it up by issueing a chmod 755 * under /dev (accidently) and utterly destroyed my device permissions forcing me back to Windows since there's hundreds of MBs of updates I would now have to redownload. Ah well. I'm just waiting out Mandrake 9.1 for now.

For your boot loader question:

If you want a really good boot manager try this one: http://www.acronis.com/products/osselector/ . Its not free but I must say its really well made. After I installed XP and Linux on two different drives, I went into windows, ran the program and it asks to burn a CD. When you pop the CD-R in it copies all the files you need to install the bootloader with nothing other than a small Fat32 partition on the HD.

When the boot loader was installed - it instantly recognized XP and Linux which was installed in the bootsector on the third HD on my computer. Its definately a time saver. And if you need to re-install it again it takes less than a minute with the bootable CD. The windows program is there only to make the CD.

Using Linux regularly:

Find a reason to use it, then you'll find a reason to learn it. If you're going to surf the Net only use linux and not XP to do it. Make it a project to build a Linux router. You'll mess up a lot in the process but learn more everytime you try. I'm using it right now in school since I have to make shell scripts. There's other reasons you might want to use linux. You can do all your homework on a word processor in it, etc.

i am going to build another pc on my network when i get around to it , purley for messing with different os`s including linux and beos

If you really want to learn linux, then take a week off of windows and use only linux. Find your self doing all you do in the windows world but in linux. Try installing all the drivers and make all your hardware work. At the end of the week, compile the kernel with the lastest avail.

If you really like OSs, then you will enjoy your week. After have a dual boot, and enjoy both world.

If you have money to waste, then buy all distro. and install them all in 1 or 2 harddrives.

have FUN :)

well, i use windows mostly ofr surfing the net, using guitar Pro, and visual C++ for my programing course, other than that, i use MSWORD, and photoshop quite a bit......

i know migrating from windows to linux is not easy.....i'm currently on my second day without booting into windows......i use redhat 8.......

i hope i can do it for a week, ....but not sure if i'll be able to resist the temptation of going back to windows.....^^

yea I got the same problem here m8, but only bc i'm a gamer and I do use 3d apps for web design and what not, but since I cant use em on linux I don't use it much unless I'm configuring something :) until I get drivers that work for my vid card and get wine working then i'll be on linux more often

If you really want to learn linux, then take a week off of windows and use only linux.

And.... Don't use RedHat, SuSE, Lindows and other baby Linux distros. They all won't help you learn anything, because of addict to the GUI. I recommend start with Slackware, Gentoo Linux, CRUX or others that can start from stratch. They will help you to learn Linux very well and faster.

Linux/BSD are not ready to replace the Windows and MacOS. Many professional apps are on Windows and MacOS. Such as Adobe, Macromedia, M$ Office, QuickTime and etc. TheGimp sucks big time, my major in the University was graphic designer and TheGimp can't even compare to the Photoshop at all. Linux/BSD will be ready when those major companies create the native ports for Linux/BSD.

ok, now that i've been using redhat for two days and a half,......there i somethings that i woulod like to know how to do.......

1. how to use mozilla to block popups

2. does ati 9700 pro work with linux...? ii mean does the 3d accelaration works...? if it does....how do i configure it...?

3. how do i create program icons on the desktop...?

Edited by iomayho

ok, now that i've been using redhat for two days and a half,......there i somethings that i woulod like to know how to do.......

2. does ati 9700 pro work with linux...? ii mean does the 3d accelaration works...? if it does....how do i configure it...?

1) Uncheck "Open Unrequested Windows" in the preferences.

2) Yes. Just released today.

3) Right click on the desktop?

1) Uncheck "Open Unrequested Windows" in the preferences.

2) Yes. Just released today.

3) Right click on the desktop?

thanks.....i'll try the drivers soon and see if it works.......^^

Well i guess i moved to linux because i make my work pc a linux box. Once you make it linux and dont have windblows around you learn it a lot faster. Sure now i have built a 2k desktop under VMware to do some domain admin things that Linux cant do like active directory and for a few websites that do not work on linux, but am very happy that I made the switch.

Also. If the fonts you do not like, you can copy all the windows TTF fonts to linux. Make sure you add it to your font path and they have to be in lowercase and with no spaces or linux will not pick them up. There is also a mozilla build out there with XFT fonts that is IMHO better looking for web browsing than Internet Exploder.

obviously windows is better and more useful.. why try to migrate to a server/coding platform for desktop usage... X sucks for productivity for most people

I am very intrested in Quad booting with linux involved. Anyone got any tips as to what Distro I should use? I am a total n00b to linux but I dont want a simple distro. I want something that isnt real easy to install but something which doesnt involve hours to setup.

If you really want to learn linux, then take a week off of windows and use only linux.

And.... Don't use RedHat, SuSE, Lindows and other baby Linux distros. They all won't help you learn anything, because of addict to the GUI. I recommend start with Slackware, Gentoo Linux, CRUX or others that can start from stratch. They will help you to learn Linux very well and faster.

Linux/BSD are not ready to replace the Windows and MacOS. Many professional apps are on Windows and MacOS. Such as Adobe, Macromedia, M$ Office, QuickTime and etc. TheGimp sucks big time, my major in the University was graphic designer and TheGimp can't even compare to the Photoshop at all. Linux/BSD will be ready when those major companies create the native ports for Linux/BSD.

I disagree. You can't easily migrate to Linux using Slackware. Like I warned you before, Slackware is only for those who have a lot of experience with Linux. In many cases, Slackware is considered "Linux for the Sub Genius"! When migrating, Mandrake, Red Hat, or SuSe should be used to start off. Once you're comfortable with those, then you might want to try Slackware, Debian, or Gentoo. BTW, don't consider Lindows as a migration from Windows to Linux. Lindows would be the real "baby distro" as mezz would refer to as. With Lindows, nothing is nor can be done through the console. And with Mandrake, Red Hat, and SuSe, just practice running things and performing some of the tasks through the console. In my case, I'm a greater expert with the Linux console than I am with DOS, LOL! :D That would be a learning experience.

Mezz, no Linux distro (not even Mandrake) can do everything through the GUI!

I disagree. You can't easily migrate to Linux using Slackware. Like I warned you before, Slackware is only for those who have a lot of experience with Linux. In many cases, Slackware is considered "Linux for the Sub Genius"! When migrating, Mandrake, Red Hat, or SuSe should be used to start off. Once you're comfortable with those, then you might want to try Slackware, Debian, or Gentoo. BTW, don't consider Lindows as a migration from Windows to Linux. Lindows would be the real "baby distro" as mezz would refer to as. With Lindows, nothing is nor can be done through the console. And with Mandrake, Red Hat, and SuSe, just practice running things and performing some of the tasks through the console. In my case, I'm a greater expert with the Linux console than I am with DOS, LOL! :D That would be a learning experience.

Mezz, no Linux distro (not even Mandrake) can do everything through the GUI!

I would just like to say that I agree. A lot. If your first linux experience is migrating from XP to Slackware or Gentoo, it will most likely turn you off unless you have a godly amount of patience. I would personally hate to see that happen. You'll want to move on to them once you become an intermediate user, though, to cut down on the junk and optimize everything for your processor.