Resistance: Fall of Man Review

Resistance is an exciting action game that successfully combines many of the best qualities from other great first-person shooters with its own spectacular visuals and a few novel twists.

8.6 out of 10 - Great

Gameplay - 9

Graphics - 9

Sound - 8

Value - 9

Tilt - 9

Difficulty: Variable

Learning Curve: About a half hour

The Good: Rock-solid design borrows the best aspects from the best first-person shooters; outstanding presentation, featuring great weapons and believable environments; replayable campaign pits you against an aggressive, fairly intelligent foe; fully featured multiplayer mode offers good variety and supports up to 40 players.

The Bad: Derivative visual style and gameplay is well crafted but mostly unoriginal; the campaign's story and characters aren't well developed; two-player cooperative mode isn't available online.

Screenshots

Source

post-18269-1163693410_thumb.jpg

Edited by jerzdawg

I am yet to play this game but from reading the review its the game its self that was most likly made in a rush,so couldn't have a solid story to it and other details missing from the characters.Great game = loads of time on it to be produce! Cant wait for final fantasy tho for the PS3 Im sure they are not going to rush that game,they always put time to try their best to create final fantasy games to perfection!

Gears Vs. Resistance

Now if I can only get my hands on a PS3...

That review seems a bit biased to me... Am I the only one who thinks that?

Oh yeah and the screen shots I see on that website for that game are hardly next gen, they look like last gen shooter games, nothing special about it at all, it does not deserve a 9 on the graphics; gears of war is clearly 10 times better graphically. Are the pictures up close of the guys face in game, they look like they're from a pre rendered sequence or an in game cut scene movie, I doubt they are in game screens as none of the other screens show the same quality, not a single one.

Edited by M1ke

Gears Vs. Resistance

Now if I can only get my hands on a PS3...

I don't know how you can compare the controls of a FPS to a TPS. Resistance has no cover system, so just by that logic the amazingly-well-implemented cover system in Gears of War should already win in that category.

The visuals in Resistance are only half as good as the visuals in Gears of War too (just look at those bland environments and character models). Gears of War should win double in that category. :p

Oh yeah and the screen shots I see on that website for that game are hardly next gen, they look like last gen shooter games, nothing special about it at all, it does not deserve a 9 on the graphics; gears of war is clearly 10 times better graphically. Are the pictures up close of the guys face in game, they look like they're from a pre rendered sequence or an in game cut scene movie, I doubt they are in game screens as none of the other screens show the same quality, not a single one.

yep... i agree with you there.

the screenshots look like crap. i'm very unimpressed so far with the games. sure, they'll get better i hope (for sony owner's sake), but man my 360's launch titles looked better than this. in all true honesty, that looks worse than halo2 did on my original xbox (the textures in specific).

that's why i didn't buy a ps3.. i figured the launch titles would suck worse bawls than the console does.. but hopefully they actually get some good games out that i like and that actually look 'next-gen' that would justify me spending $600 plus a few games.

but yea, i agree with you on this one m1ke

Yeah looked at all the other games too, none of them are impressive, and after thinking about it, wasn't Call of Duty 2 the 360 launch title? and doesnt it look better than this game? (overall that is)

Yeah looked at all the other games too, none of them are impressive, and after thinking about it, wasn't Call of Duty 2 the 360 launch title? and doesnt it look better than this game? (overall that is)

Not really. Call of Duty 2 is a great looking game (and it was running at 60fps, which is superior to Resistance's 30).. But I can't say it looks as good as Resistance.

Resistance is a fantastic game visually. Is it Gears of War level? No way. The texture quality is lacking in Resistance.

But it's certainly great for a launch title.

lol, yea it's definitely biased. You don't even have to read to far to know that it's biased, I mean, the fact that they said Resistance had a better Multiplayer despite the fact that it doesn't even support co-op online pretty much gives it away. :laugh:

You can go here and read various reviews of how different sources rated the game.

Also, you can go here and see reviews of Gears of War, if you want to compare.

I don't like taking one review and only showing that. There's usually going to be one reviewer that loved the game and another one that didn't. You could post the first of you like the game and the second if you want to bash it. Looking at various reviews gives you a good average on what reviewers think.

I can't help but feel a bit 'meh' toward this game. By the time I get my PS3 I'm hoping there'll be some more interesting looking exclusives, I don't really have anyting to base my indifference on other than what I've read and seen but I think I'll be passing this one up.

I've completely lost respect for GameSpot after giving such unfair and low reviews to games that shouldn't deserve them. Examples being Resistance and Zelda.

They gave Zelda an 8.8 while every other site are giving it high 9s or 10s. What'd they complain about? Exactly what other reviewers praised TP for--the Wii controls and gameplay.

But I digress. Resistance does not look like an 8.6 game from the videos and other reviews I have seen. If it's any good as CoD2(looks very similar to it), then it should deserve at least a 9. Reviews: http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/928399.asp

And here's Gears of War for your comparison: http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/928234.asp

I'm having a lot of fun playing Resistance online, barely anyone has headsets. People need to get some bluetooth headsets or plug in their old PS2 USB headsets. I'm pretty sure other USB headsets work too.

damn you're lucky cloud :( lol

lol thanks, if you lived near me I'd let ya come game with me. Don't worry if you want a PS3 I'm sure you can get one later besides it's the games coming out later that are going to look even better then the launch title :).

What's ironic is that everybody talked about how the use of Blue-Ray for this game would allow for the best graphics possible (better than other games on the 360 because of their limitation with DVD9 media) and a higher framerate with less stability loss. As it turns out, Gears of War being on DVD9 didn't mean anything when compared to ~25GB for Resistence and Gears of War is better in many departments, including objective ones such as framerate and graphics.

look at sizes of the games more then anything with bluray

lol thanks, if you lived near me I'd let ya come game with me. Don't worry if you want a PS3 I'm sure you can get one later besides it's the games coming out later that are going to look even better then the launch title smile.gif

lol yea i know they will be far better over time just like they were for ps2. i wouldn't mind hanging out for MGS 4 :) i <3 the look of that game. just ashame im plagued by the wait till march for ps3 lol :( but i think i will get a hdtv first before a ps3 so can really enjoy ps3 at 720p :)

And how do you know DVD9 was the reason the game was so short. The amount of work that went into Gears of War there might have been time constraints, or money constraints, cant just keep pumping level after level after level it all costs money.

All xbox 360 games are 7.5Gb wether they take up 1gb or 7gb of space, they are padded to reduce strain on the laser.

Gears of War is a perfect example on how DVD9 is not enough - GoW is 7,5gig and is _extremely_ short in storyline..

Now they have to release a episode 2

How long was Oblivion? Not just in hours, miles as well.

And how do you know DVD9 was the reason the game was so short. The amount of work that went into Gears of War there might have been time constraints, or money constraints, cant just keep pumping level after level after level it all costs money.

All xbox 360 games are 7.5Gb wether they take up 1gb or 7gb of space, they are padded to reduce strain on the laser.

You're right, it was because of time constraints that they had to cut some stuff out, they had to meet their November deadline. CliffyB (or someone from the dev team, I forget) already confirmed this on one of Major Nelson's podcasts during a live audience QnA.

Anyway, I don't think the single player is that short. I think it's a great length and the fact that you get Achievements for playing it on all 3 difficulty levels and with both characters all separately really adds to the longevity of the story mode. Then, to top that all off, you have a very solid multiplayer to fill your time with. Great game.