My thoughts on Sony and their attempt with Linux..

Before I begin, I don't want bitching of the sort, that includes you Sony/Xbox/Wii fanboys :p

I just want to give my thought about this whole Linux on the PS3.

While I think it's a good idea (I'm a fan of Linux *huggles server*), I feel this seems too much of a contradiction from the PSP.

The PSP people can have homebrew material on Firmware ~1.5 (higher or lower?), but Sony have been stopping people from doing this with every update, which makes you have to think - What the hell is Sony doing?

I feel like this whole 'Linux' thing is some sort of Fad to make more people buy it? :s Surely if Sony was all out on being Linux friendly (and know the risks of it) then they could of done the same with the PSP and left the Homebrew people happy? After all, the PSP is where they'll be making the money, and not these UMD's and games (which is a proven point at the moment).

So what do you all think about this?

I think you stole that contradictory of PSP idea from that other guy who said the same thing :o

Homebrew is possible on all PSP Firmwares for now

I think linux on PS3 is pretty much limited.. Will have to see in the future tho

Other guy? Nah, this is something I have been thinking about since the first news about the PS3 being open to Linux users...

I thought Homebrew wasn't possible on the latest version? It don't matter either way, because it's everytime they release a patch, some has to find a new hole and crack it again. Why not keep it open? *sighs*

I read that the PS3 prevents linux from make full advantage of the graphical capabilities of the PS3.

Anyway, I'm glad an OS can be installed. Those 600 dollars had to pay off one way or another!!

I read that the PS3 prevents linux from make full advantage of the graphical capabilities of the PS3.

Anyway, I'm glad an OS can be installed. Those 600 dollars had to pay off one way or another!!

That's still besides the point, they have released tools so you can install Linux, but not making the full system available seems a little misleading some how?

Yes again, that is what I'm trying to say, I know this is a good thing, but it seems like a joke that they force out all the PSP people by them not having homebrew... :\

I think what it is is that up till now, there was no official way to do serious homebrew stuff on consoles.

With the PS3, Sony is taking a chance at allowing this for the first time by allowing a full OS to run.

I think it also has to do with the fact that the cell processor has hardware security implementations to allow for this kind of thing without it affecting the game software business, although we'll have to see how this pans out in the future.

If you're into this stuff then see http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/powe...a-cellsecurity/

It explains the Secure Processing Vault.

Also, for info on the hypervisor mode and what is currently available for hardware access, http://felter.org/wesley/files/ps3/linux-2...elOverview.html

Sony could open the psp in the way that the gp2x is open. The gp2x has encrypted commercial games(not many as of now) even endorsing homebrew (even having an sdk) would prevent people from going thru backdoors for using homebrew, which also gets used for loading the psp isos. If they just open allowed homebrew and encrypted the iso's in some way (which i think they may do, as I have to trick it with a copy of fifa) people might not have bothered with the hacks.

All i used my psp for is homebrew emulators, its homebrew that i want but cracking it for homebrew enabled me to play commercial games, which totally defeats their object.

Its a bit like the rootkit fiasco, people dont want the rootkit version so what do they do? download it, in mp3. Just like the latest Duran Duran i bought that i was waiting so long for, it doesnt play on pc without a windows app on the cd. so i also illegally downloaded the thing, so that i could play it on my mp3 player.

Sony could open up the PSP, but then what would prevent people from finding other loopholes to allow them to load ISO's, people can already do that now, but you have to jump through hoops to do so. And then there are licensing issues they would probably have to worry about. I'd just be happy if they released a lot more demos.

Besides, it's Sony, they just came out with the FW 3.00 update for the PSP, yeah, it can play PS1 games, but you need a PS3 in order to play them - let's see, short supply of PS3, check - high price of PS3, check. Only other noticeable differences is the addition of a camera option, online manuals, a visualizer for audio, and scrolling the XMB is much faster now.

They are doing this simply to annoy Microsoft, the same way they seem to do so. And in a weird sense fulfill Microsoft's predictions from back in 2000.

As for your "making more people buy it" statement, they why not ?

I don't know about annoying MS.

If this open system thing catches on, all MS has to do on the 360 is to allow a bare bones version of windows to run on the 360, just like linux runs on the PS3, with all the security features to prevent piracy.

MS already has the development tools to allow programming.

Software will have to be re-compiled for the 360, but that's the same with the PS3.

Just because MS can't possibly allow linux to run on the 360, it doesn't mean they don't have options.

And the consumers benefit from the competition.

I can see Sony trying everything they can to thwart this... even though it's a "feature", they for sure don't want homebrew applications being used (which is definately ironic since they made it possible to install Linux... haha).

I can see Sony trying everything they can to thwart this... even though it's a "feature", they for sure don't want homebrew applications being used (which is definately ironic since they made it possible to install Linux... haha).

If they didn't want homebrew applications to be used, they wouldn't have allowed linux.

I think majority of linux apps are homebrew :D

Sony could open up the PSP, but then what would prevent people from finding other loopholes to allow them to load ISO's, people can already do that now, but you have to jump through hoops to do so. And then there are licensing issues they would probably have to worry about. I'd just be happy if they released a lot more demos.

Besides, it's Sony, they just came out with the FW 3.00 update for the PSP, yeah, it can play PS1 games, but you need a PS3 in order to play them - let's see, short supply of PS3, check - high price of PS3, check. Only other noticeable differences is the addition of a camera option, online manuals, a visualizer for audio, and scrolling the XMB is much faster now.

Still seems like a fad though, either way you look at it.

Disclaimer: I am a Linux user and an overall UNIX fanboy.

Well, here's my theory:

Sony want to tap into the homebrew market while still disallowing piracy and ridding themselves off any liability. What do I mean? Well, firstly the piracy part. Running Linux on the PS2 was quite significant. Sony exposed a lot of the underlying hardware directly to Linux and so hacking the console was much easier. With the PS3, Sony has learned not to over do it with the hardware access and so they've put all hardware access behind a hypervisor. No direct hardware access from Linux == back to square one for piracy.

From the liability point, I think Sony wants you to play those NES, SNES, etc games on your PS3, although it may not be legal. By just giving you the ability to install Linux, they've left it to us, the users to add these emulators that Sony can't legally do themselves.

What about the PSP? Well, you can't do the same on the PSP. Sony built the PS3 with a third-party OS in mind, so thats why there's a hypervisor. It's a highly restrictive console, only a small step below the 360. The PSP is much closer to a PS2 which has no such capabilities. If they allow homebrew on the PSP, what would stop pirates?

http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/

"Terra Soft continues to lead the industry, with the world's first and only commercial Linux distribution for the Cell processor, first for the Mercury Cell Blade and now PLAYSTATION?3."

but...

QUESTION: What level of graphics support is available?[/b]>

At this point in time, YDL runs in framebuffer mode on the PS3, meaning there is no 2D nor 3D accelleration nor support for OpenGL. The x.org driver is fully functional in its framebuffer mode, offering quality support for a wide variety of hi-def televisions and computer monitors that comply with the PS3 video output signals.

- http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/products...ps3/devel.shtml