PSP Version 3.00 Now Available

The Version 3 firmware update is now available for our PSP's.

The changes are:

Game:

- Playstation network titles are now supported

Playstation network titles can now be downloaded via the PS3

Network:

- Remote play feature has been added

- Set timer has been added under RSS Channel

Music:

- Visual player has been added as a feature

- 3 Speed options for fast forward / fast reverse

Settings:

- UMD Auto-start has been added under system settings

I got this info from yourpsp.com (the Euro PSP site). Apparently this firmware update is also available in Japan. Not sure about the USA etc, but its worth checking for system updates if your in that zone. ;)

Only good for PS3 owners?

At the moment most of the additions are PS3 related (remote play which lets you play games from the PS3 and the PSP game downloads - apparently the first games are coming out tomorrow), so its not much use to those of us in the Euro zone.

The visualiser for music has some nice modes (the underwater ring of bubbles looks cool) and the UMD boot mode is useful too. I've now setup my PSP to boot to the XMB instead of it always launching games or movie discs.

One thing I did leave out from the update is that under the Photo section of the XMB is a camera option - so expect a camera addon for the PSP soon.

All in all I think its a pretty good update. Its been a while since the PSP has had any additions to functionality.

Cheers for the update.. i shall give this a download in a few days when it becomes available :) some of those features sound good.. but i don't own a PS3 so *shrug*.. I wonder if the UI gets an update seeing as this is a major revision jump to 3.00

it's on auto-update in UK. just downloaded it for my PSP1003K!!

the visual player (visualisations) is the best new feature. umd auto-start is useful too.

online manual option is handy, also.

also, does anyone know when the camera comes out in the UK (as new firmware has built-in option for it). japanese-ones are showing up...might buy one now.

and finally what's the "Certificate Utility" (another PS3 tie-in, i guess).

EDIT: just seen (in manual) that the PlayStation Network titles need purchasing (damn I was hoping for freebies!)

Edited by pjak

-:UPDATE:-

Apparently a new revision firmware (3.01) has been released today, it appears to contain a security update. I've not downloaded it yet so I can't confirm this myself.

Also to clarify the PS3/PSP remote play option, I was wrong stating that it allowed you to play games from the PS3. Apparently the remote play option supports streaming Photo, Music and Video from your PS3 to the PSP over wireless.