Fedora5 running WinXP

Probably not a fake.

Have a look around a bit, sony officialy support installing another OS on the PS3. Since the cell PPU is a PPC core, any PPC version of linux, BSD or OSX should work.

Yeah I know it can run linux and all the other 'geek' OS's but its emulating WINDOWS? :s

So windows can be run through linux (or whatever) even tho it i could never be installed on PowerPC itself?

Yeah I know it can run linux and all the other 'geek' OS's but its emulating WINDOWS? :s

So windows can be run through linux (or whatever) even tho it i could never be installed on PowerPC itself?

VMWare

as Chicane-UK said, thats what emulation does. It allows you to emulate another architechture on a certain CPU. The actual performance of windows will probably be very slow though - probably almost unusable, when considering linux only has around 200MB RAM to itself, and cannot use the SPU's of the cell, and cannot use the RSX, then you have to add the preformance hit for the actual emulation itself. It would work - but it probably wouldn't be a nice experience

There's nothing there proving it's actually running off the PS3.

Like I've been saying, I don't doubt the PS3 could run Linux. Until I see a video showing the PS3 and everything and it shows proof that there's not a hidden computer that's actually doing everything displayed on the screen, then I'll believe it's real.

But I will say that if it runs Linux then you could run XP under an emulator. It'll be very slow though so there wouldn't be any real point in running it.

Could very well be a camcorder - alot of light and a stand for the camera..voila

If it's a camcorder then the person could easily show everything he has sitting there and show it's actually running off the PS3. Look at all these fake vids of the xbox 360 running "mods" then come to find out they usually had a computer hidden somewhere that was actually doing everything on screen.

I can't understand why people are so reluctant to believe people having got linux running on their PS3's. There are so many topics about it on the net, its just impossible for it to be fake.

A thread discussing installing and using linux on the PS3 http://www.ps3forums.com/showthread.php?t=...highlight=linux

and even benchmarks against a 1.6 G4 Mac (which unsuprsingly the Ps3 doesn't do well in, since linux has no access to the RSX, can only access 200MB of RAM and cannot use the cells SPE's) http://www.geekpatrol.ca/2006/11/playstation-3-performance/

if there were only a few topics and vids regarding linux on the PS3, then yea, I could understand people saying its fake (even I would be saying it was), but just looking how much info about it is out on the net, and the fact the tools to do it are actually on the sony site, its just proves people are running linux on the PS3. And so proves emulation of windows is possible. Weather the vid in this thread is real or not, thats another question, but as to if it can be done - yes.

Whats promising is progress like this is being made already!!!

The PS3 isnt even available worldwide yet.

Can't wait to see what the future holds :D

This for real guys.

You can tell because it's soooo DAMN SLOW! lol. When you take a PPE system with 256mb usable RAM in Linux, and emulate WinXP (which doesn't even run well with 256mb of memory on an x86 processor) it will = unusable lol.

But it's definitely a "cool factor".

Whats promising is progress like this is being made already!!!

The PS3 isnt even available worldwide yet.

Can't wait to see what the future holds :D

What kinda progress are you talking about? :p

"Yay! We got the PS3 running Linux (like it's supposed to) and now we're emulating via a widely used application! Yippee! Hurray! Now let's...erm...what's next?"

I don't find it surpising that the 150,000 techphiles that got the PS3 on launch day have been able to read an online guide on how to install Fedora Core.

Edited by Elliott

What kinda progress are you talking about? :p

"Yay! We got the PS3 running Linux (like it's supposed to) and now we're emulating via a widely used application! Yippee! Hurray! Now let's...erm...what's next?"

I don't find it surpising that the 150,000 techphiles that got the PS3 on launch day have been able to read an online guide on how to install Fedora Core.

I'm not sure, im not the brainbox behind these things. I'm interested to see what other people get running on the ps3!

I'd love it if emulation of other consoles took off... e.g Snes, Mega Drive, N64 and Dreamcast emulation. Would be great to be able to fill up my ps3 hard drive with classics games

A lot of it may just be a 'cool' factor I suppose. For example, people got excited about running linux on their ipods!!!

This for real guys.

You can tell because it's soooo DAMN SLOW! lol. When you take a PPE system with 256mb usable RAM in Linux, and emulate WinXP (which doesn't even run well with 256mb of memory on an x86 processor) it will = unusable lol.

But it's definitely a "cool factor".

I have a test box (PIII 600mhz/512mb/40HDD) running Windows Vista Business at home, all you have to do is run the system on "Windows Classic" theme and it works like a charm! :happy: :yes:

Hey, even if you can't emulate WinXP in Linux on PS3 just yet, you could always fire up RDP (Remote Desktop Client) or VNC it up. There you go full speed Windows ;-) . Who doesn't have a crappy beige box on their network????

Linux just opens the door. It's the red pill.

I have a test box (PIII 600mhz/512mb/40HDD) running Windows Vista Business at home, all you have to do is run the system on "Windows Classic" theme and it works like a charm! :happy: :yes:

but thats running it natively, in order for windows xp/vista to run on a ps3 the emulation software would have to translate every proccessor call into something the cell can understand...

I totally believe that. But that's not a PPE system lol. PowerPC processors + Emulation = horrriiidd. lol

I totally believe that. But that's not a PPE system lol. PowerPC processors + Emulation = horrriiidd. lol

Not totally true. VirtualPC on a G4/G5 wasn't so bad. Now, Linux on PS3 + Emulation is a totally different thing. :p VMWare doesn't take advantage of any of the SPE's of the Cell, and currently can't because the OS is running in hypervisor mode.

as Chicane-UK said, thats what emulation does. It allows you to emulate another architechture on a certain CPU. The actual performance of windows will probably be very slow though - probably almost unusable, when considering linux only has around 200MB RAM to itself, and cannot use the SPU's of the cell, and cannot use the RSX, then you have to add the preformance hit for the actual emulation itself. It would work - but it probably wouldn't be a nice experience

Linux can access the SPU's, IBM showed off Linux on CELL a while ago (in a blade server), and sony have contributed patches to certain utilities.

There's nothing there proving it's actually running off the PS3.

Like I've been saying, I don't doubt the PS3 could run Linux. Until I see a video showing the PS3 and everything and it shows proof that there's not a hidden computer that's actually doing everything displayed on the screen, then I'll believe it's real.

Sony released the tool's and such to do it, so yeah, Linux can, and already is running on the PS3.

It's also very pointless to run WinXP under Linux on the PS3, it would be dog slow.