Sony Retracts 1080i Fix Statement

All you owners of HDTVs that can only do 1080i, we've got some bad news for you. Sony Computer Entertainment America's head honcho of Corporate communications, David Karraker, apparently retracted -- or at least backtracked -- on Sony's previous statements about the increasingly infamous 1080i issue (the one that won't let PS3s play games at 1080i on HDTVs that don't support 720p). According to GameDaily, Sony cannot actually confirm this issue can be fixed via a firmware patch (although they're not denying it, either), and that they are "looking into the issue and haven't stated any actions that will be taken regarding it."

source.pngEngadget

Probably the HDTV encoder chip only supports progressive picture formats. If this is not the case, then they could just update the software with a few lines of code for it to work (unless they do the encoding in software, then it would require huge changes)

Bad move on everyone-who-bought-that-kind-of-tv's part

the 360 doesnt have this problem, so no, not bad move on them....bad move on sony for blaming their customers rather than themselves

move over-estimation on sonys behalf, you overhype the hell out of a console then under deliver, i expected nothing less. Although i am keep to see what the future brings.

the 360 doesnt have this problem, so no, not bad move on them....bad move on sony for blaming their customers rather than themselves

What? why bring x360 into this?

Who buys a 1080i hdtv that has no 720p?

Thats just...stupid - Id rather see a progressive image than an interlaced one :s

Thats just...stupid - Id rather see a progressive image than an interlaced one :s

can you really tell the difference that drastically....yeah it may not affect you but if you just dropped 600 on a console that wont put out 1080i on your tv id bet you would be ****ed

i don't know many tv's that display 1080i, and not 720p, but for the owners of those tv's, i feel bad for you.

it is sony's fault, you need to please everybody, not just the majority.

i don't know many tv's that display 1080i, and not 720p, but for the owners of those tv's, i feel bad for you.

All HD tubes display 1080i for HD.

Basically all tube sets do 1080i and not 720P, a lot of people own them, especially the popular 34 inch Sonys...

because you blamed the consumers when it obviously isn't the consumer, rather the developer

I got offtopic then - Im talking that it is a stupid move buying that kind of tv in GENERAL

....IMO >_>

5 years ago, I was the stupid...

My second TV is a Panasonic 36" Tube TV, HDTV 4:3 (yeah, those existed!). It can only support 480i/p, 540p and 1080i

Back then, it's costed MUCH less than real 16:9 HDTV and gave GREAT result while watching progressive scan DVD. I'm still using it for watching standard TV, the picture quality is great and beats everything else. It's heavy as hell....

I got offtopic then - Im talking that it is a stupid move buying that kind of tv in GENERAL

....IMO >_>

A few years back it was smart and people shouldn't have to shell out more money again when they have something that works fine and looks good.

The problem is that Sony's version of 1080i now for games that don't support that resolution is to drop down to 480p and upconvert that. Sure, it looks better than 480p would on a regular TV, but definitely not what you'd expect after spending $500+ and expecting "HD gaming".

Uhh, that's the most idiotic comment I've seen. It downscales to 480p, instead of upscaling to 1080i. Now lets take a look at this: 480p is EDTV, and 1080i is HDTV. I don't care what kind of tv freak you are, an interlaced image at 1080 is going to look far, far more amazing than a progressive image at 480. Your comment may not be bogus if you're comparing, say 1080i to 1080p, but not from an EDTV image to an HDTV image. That's just stupid.

This is not the consumer's fault - it's all on Sony. They tout the whole "Everything you can do, I can do better" thing against the 360, and they can't do something so simple as upscale an image based on what the TV type is.

Remember, not everyone is so technologically well-adapted as some of us here are, and even some that are coulud make the purchase just as easily.

-Spenser