How-To Dump Blu-ray Movies On Your PS3

Very true.

And I don't think the ripped image can be used for anything since AACS hasn't been cracked.

Right. Using one of the most basic of *NIX unitlities to produce a dump does not equate to being able to play that dump.

I don't know if this works, but you could try hooking up the xbox HD-DVD drive to a linux or OSX system and doing dd on a HD-DVD disk.

Im wondering - if the HD-DVD can be used on windows. Can it be used in linux also?

A PS3 running Fedora perhaps? Is it possible?

Seeing how far people have gotten with 360 in over a year (Not far) and how far they have gotten on ps3 in like 2 weeks I think its safe to say anythings possable at this points in time :p.

Seeing how far people have gotten with 360 in over a year (Not far) and how far they have gotten on ps3 in like 2 weeks I think its safe to say anythings possable at this points in time :p.

Because Microsoft really thought about security, Sony put the PSP os which is notoriously easy to crack with the ability to load linux, its not hard to realise why the PS3 is being cracked faster.

No i was saying the PS3 is running a PSP style operating system AS WELL AS being able to run linux

?????

PS3 does not run a "PSP style operating system".

The hardware platform is completely different.

So the XMB is a completely new revolutionary operating system is it?

No, its adapted from the PSP.

your getting a bit confused.

The XMB is not an operating system. All it is a GUI.

edit - gunnerhkjp beat me to it lol

I don't know if you have read any news lately but I haven't seen one single PC/Laptop with a build-in Blu-Ray drive out in the market, but I can give you a couple of names of companies selling systems with a build-in HD-DVD drive right now.

- Acer

- Asus

- Fujitsu

- HP

- Samsung

- Toshiba

and if IIRC HP was one of the companies responsible for the success of the DVD format on the PC industry by providing systems with build-in DVD drives and later on DVD burners... :yes:

so, who do you thing have the advantage in the minds and pockets of the movies studios now days? :rolleyes:

there is. it's the SONY VAIO AR21S 17" HD Notebook Core 2 Duo T7200 BlueRay notebook.

Seller

there is. it's the SONY VAIO AR21S 17" HD Notebook Core 2 Duo T7200 BlueRay notebook.

Seller

Well, if we are looking for computers with blu-ray drives, the fujitsu TX95S/D has a bluray drive too.

NEC PC-VW790GG also comes with a blu-ray drive.

Surprising, since NEC is in the HDDVD camp.

wow! just wow! the two biggest laptop makers on the market (Sony and NEC) are selling new models loaded with a Blu-Ray drive... :rolleyes:

ohh teh noes, HD-DVD is d00m3d and Sony pw3d them all!!! :laugh: :rofl: :p

"teh obviously!" :shifty: :whistle:

wow! just wow! the two biggest laptop makers on the market (Sony and NEC) are selling new models loaded with a Blu-Ray drive... :rolleyes:

Dude, you need to chill out :whistle:

They never said HD-DVD is doomed. They were simply replying to : "I haven't seen one single PC/Laptop with a build-in Blu-Ray drive out in the market."

Personally I think this is a sign Sony is going to block the use of Linux with some sort of patch. Then we will see a huge amount of bitching by the same people who laughed at this story. Although Linux is a cool idea, ultimately it is the key to piracy. Ironically people hate drm but would ridicule a format that is easy to crack.

Because Microsoft really thought about security, Sony put the PSP os which is notoriously easy to crack with the ability to load linux, its not hard to realise why the PS3 is being cracked faster.

yes.. but the fact that its based off of Linux doesn't mean anything now does it?!? :o

the 360 had backups going what a month after launch? no matter what you do there will be someone there waiting to crack it and sooner or later its going to happen.

But... if microsoft is so infallible from your statement, how on earth do they release updates that brick people's systems?

the system has Linux support, people would get Linux torun on it sooner or later so why not just give them what they want? The power of that hardware and using that in high resolutions... the possibilities are infinate. I love the idea of having Linux supported on the PS3.