Analyst: "I cannot imagine a PlayStation 4"

There will be a PS4 (and 5 and 6....) Sony are the current market leaders and they are here to stay.

I would say it will be more like it could be MS's last console, I don't think they ever made a profit off the Xbox 1? (or did they?) and the Xbox 360 isn't doing much better...while the 360 is a great console (well I think so) it's just not doing that well and since MS is primarily a Software company (their computer hardware is pretty top notch though) I think it's them that we might not see "next gen"..but we will wait and see I guess :) (I do hope MS do stick around though)

they made profit on the xbox1 and are now profiting something like $60-70 per each premium unit.

i have to contradict your prediction and say that microsoft is also here to stay. they've made quite a footprint in two console releases, and they're doing very well right now.

i hope both companies stay (despite my heavy hatred for sony as a whole, as well as a console maker, as they're crappy) because it means better competition. unless, that is, nintendo decides to go next-gen and actually have an HD console that is at least capable of getting in the same realm as the 360 and PS3 are (true next-gen).

its a fairly bold statement to predict sony's console not succeeding to at least a 4th release with a PS4, but only time will tell.

There are no more consoles ready for sale yet, so how can it be possible that it is not "selling" so good? Of course it is not, because there aint any!

I live down here in Miami, and I heard BestBuy only had 28 consoles on each store in all of FL., don't know about the rest of the Country...

But heck, isn't "analysis" now in days anything but that? so let's all take a guess, I guess there will be a PS4; just wait 9 months, you will hear the news, just like I remember when Sony announced the PS3 development few months after PS2 was kicking all the competence in all known ways...

i'm not sure what this Playstation has been failing is coming from considering PS2 is still out-selling xbox 360 which says somthing.

Yes a $130 console with 5 year back catalogue of games is selling more than a 1 year old $400 console, arent you clever.

Of course they will be a PS4, I mean just look at Nintendo... I?m told the N64 didn?t really do too well against the PS1 (I had no interest in consoles back then), The GameCube did awful against the PS2 and Xbox and Nintendo have still managed to bring the Wii out, I see no reason why they won?t be a PS4.

N64-Units sold 32.93 million

PS1-Units sold 102.49 million shipped

Sega Saturn-Units sold 10 million

Atari Jaguar-Units sold 250k

3DO Interactive Multiplayer-Units sold 6 million

Sony PlayStation 2 - 106.23 million

Microsoft Xbox - 24.40 million

Nintendo GameCube -21.20 million

Sega Dreamcast -10.60 million

and if im not wrong they made more money then the Ps2 and xbox.

if the ps3 doesnt make money(it might not make money)there might not be a PS4. but we dont know, maybe in 1 year time the price of PS3 might drop by about 40%(cost to make) like the xbox360 and might lead to a sony lead. or the wii can sell like crazy and pass xbox360 in 6 months. or the xbox360 may keep selling like hot cakes and just keep the lead over the other 2.

He was promoted...

There's a big difference between a paper promotion and a real promotion. Various analysts have said it: it was a vote of no confidence and a way to distance him from the Playstation brand. They basically "put him out to pasture." That's how business works for someone with the history he has. Sony would look like a jerk if they just fired him after the obvious success with the previous Playstations. More so in a Japanese company, it wouldn't be the "honorable" thing to do. He started going overboard with the PS2 (emotion engine and such) but it was a financial success so no problem. With the PS3 he overstepped the line.

Kutaragi is an excellent engineer and invaluable to Sony. I'm sure this move was meant to have him work on R&D as well as future products. Thats what he loves doing and does best anyway. After the development and launch of the PS3 its time to focus on the software side of things, thats where Hirai steps in.

Kutaragi is an excellent engineer and invaluable to Sony.

Yeah great, they tried using Cell to render the graphics, and when they realised they couldnt they asked nvidia for a pc gpu and bolted it on, excellent engineer my eyelash.

Kutaragi is an excellent engineer and invaluable to Sony. I'm sure this move was meant to have him work on R&D as well as future products. Thats what he loves doing and does best anyway. After the development and launch of the PS3 its time to focus on the software side of things, thats where Hirai steps in.

If that's the case then why didn't this happen after the PS2?

why so much sony hate? no ps4 is a BAD thing, it means that M$ will be in complete control with noone opposing them

oh and Kuaragi dropped the ball on the ps3, he should be fired not given a promotion! They need a PR guy in there to smooth things over with developers.

why so much sony hate? no ps4 is a BAD thing, it means that M$ will be in complete control with noone opposing them

oh and Kuaragi dropped the ball on the ps3, he should be fired not given a promotion! They need a PR guy in there to smooth things over with developers.

I dont get it either, Im not a big fan of sony, hell I JUST got a PS2, the only thing I can see people getting ****ed off about is the price, which I feel is kind of worth it, considering the hardware capabilities of that thing.

Kutaragi did drop the ball with the PS3 but he was very successful for Sony with the PS2 and the original PS. I think he was letting his success go to his head which clouded his judgement with the PS3. He thought he was invincible. So they didn't want to forget his past and just fire him, they have much to be thankful to him for. They gave him a "promotion" to get him away from the PS brand, he's still with Sony, and he still gets a paycheck. It's an honorable way to finish with Sony before he retires.

Oh, and, yes, we need a PS4 to keep the competition going.

I agree with Ironman on every point.

I honestly would not have a problem supporting Sony and the Playstation had it not been for Kutaragi and his rants since the PS2 days. I personally will not support a company franchise when blatant promises are made and the fruits promised are never delivered. For me it inst so much about the PS3 as it dates back to the PS2.

Either way, to keep things in perspective, if the PS3 manages to have killer apps, I have no problem picking one up to play the game, since after all thats what we should be about. However I fail to see any reason since the 360 is moving positively in the gaming world. No one could have imagined this four years ago.