Ps3 in the UK

Was just wondering if i was to get a Ps3 from Japan or Hong Kong what would i need for it to work safely over here? What adatpters etc... wil i need! are all the ports the same? HDMI etc? I know i can get games from the USA and they will work! Also the 20GB version doesnt come with HDMI right?

Yes, the 20gig does come with HDMI. (None of the packages come with a HDMI-CABLE tho)

PS3scene.com;

"While the back sticker clearly mentions the unit is 100V 50/60Hz ... the internal PSU says 100-240V.

The PS3 PSU can use up to 380W (it usually use a lot less however) and our 240->100V stepdown converter could only handle 300W.

So instead of risking blowing up the stepdown converter (which can potentially give a huge power surge and break the PS3) we took the risk to connect it to 220/240V directly ... and ... well, it worked just fine :-)

Of course I can't guarantee it'll work with any 100/110V unit ... but if Sony is using the same PSU everywhere, it should. Try at own risk!"

It has a universal power supply so you would just need a socket adaptor, rember importing a PS3 into the UK is illegal.

Its not really imports is it :s i know some1 over there who can buy it and ship it over?

Cheers for the replies guys :)

Yes, the 20gig does come with HDMI. (None of the packages come with a HDMI-CABLE tho)

PS3scene.com;

"While the back sticker clearly mentions the unit is 100V 50/60Hz ... the internal PSU says 100-240V.

The PS3 PSU can use up to 380W (it usually use a lot less however) and our 240->100V stepdown converter could only handle 300W.

So instead of risking blowing up the stepdown converter (which can potentially give a huge power surge and break the PS3) we took the risk to connect it to 220/240V directly ... and ... well, it worked just fine :-)

Of course I can't guarantee it'll work with any 100/110V unit ... but if Sony is using the same PSU everywhere, it should. Try at own risk!"

Hmmm that concerns me a bit lol! Anyone got any links to where i could buy a Universal Power adapter that would work? cheers :)

went to newcastle and checked out eldon square, it seems a second hand shop had managed to get thier hands on a PS3 and they actually allowed ppl to play it aswell. I played RR7... to be honest i didnt think it was all that, i dont like RR games RR for 360 sucked aswell.

Its not really imports is it :s i know some1 over there who can buy it and ship it over?

Cheers for the replies guys :)

thats still a "grey" import used in a market it wasnt sold in is the definition of "grey import"

But it will actually be a UK/Europe PS3 because Blu-ray movies and PS1/2 games are region coded.

I dont quite understand what you mean by that? So gettin a import from Hong Kong will just be like a UK console? I dnt really plan on playin many ps1 and ps2 games on it!

overall do u think it would be a good idea or shud i just wait until march for it to come to europe?

Grey imports AREN'T by definition illegal. It's simply selling outside the intended market. Black market would make it illegal.

Unlike those on the black market, grey market goods are not illegal. Instead, they are being sold outside of normal distribution channels by companies which may have no relationship with the producer of the goods. Frequently this form of parallel import occurs when the price of an item is significantly higher in one country than another; this situation commonly occurs with cigarettes and electronic equipment such as cameras. Entrepreneurs will buy the product where it is available cheaply, often at retail but sometimes at wholesale, import it legally to the target market and sell it at a price which provides a profit but which is below the normal market price there.
- From Wikipedia

So aslong as you pay the correct import duty and taxes when the PS3 lands in the UK, you have no legal problems. I do believe the lik-sang / Sony problem came about with export, and not import. Buying from a private seller shouldn't cause you any problems. Neither should reselling in the UK.

i have a ps3 from japan, its plugged straight into the mains in my house, i even bought a stepdown convertor as i thought i needed one, you dont, the ps3 works fine with uk/ireland power supplies

i also got resistance and ridge racer japan versions, they are both fully in english (apart from the manuals) as the blu ray discs are so big they can put all versions on the one disc

its also multiregion for ps3 games and a lot of blu ray discs, USA and UK ones will play on it as companies are not bothering to region lock them, i'm sure there will be lists on the net as to region free Bluray Discs

oh and as far as imports being illegal, rubbish, sony dont make the laws, just cause they say its illegal and took liksang to court doesnt mean it is

i have a ps3 from japan, its plugged straight into the mains in my house, i even bought a stepdown convertor as i thought i needed one, you dont, the ps3 works fine with uk/ireland power supplies

i also got resistance and ridge racer japan versions, they are both fully in english (apart from the manuals) as the blu ray discs are so big they can put all versions on the one disc

its also multiregion for ps3 games and a lot of blu ray discs, USA and UK ones will play on it as companies are not bothering to region lock them, i'm sure there will be lists on the net as to region free Bluray Discs

oh and as far as imports being illegal, rubbish, sony dont make the laws, just cause they say its illegal and took liksang to court doesnt mean it is

Really? :D

Excellent, cheers for the reply! I still might get a stepdown just incase, im just waitin now for the word that i'll def get one then i'll order some stuff! Thinkin of R:FoM and CoD3 but then that could be a bit to much FPS lol, so maybe MotorStorm hmmmm, oooo and also need HDMI cable.

Should i order Games from the USA or Japan? Do you know any good sites to get them from? just looked at Playasia and they dnt deliever to Europe lol!

So aslong as you pay the correct import duty and taxes when the PS3 lands in the UK, you have no legal problems. I do believe the lik-sang / Sony problem came about with export, and not import. Buying from a private seller shouldn't cause you any problems. Neither should reselling in the UK.

Sony could not shut down Liksang for selling consoles as its not illegal to import goods. Sony got liksang shut down and a rather small technicality that the power transformers that liksang were sellling with the consoles were not up to EU spec. O/C that was a complete load of bull as liksang used official sony gear, though with sonys exploding batteries.

make sure when getting a hdmi cable you dont pay a huge amount, you can get one for 10-15 quid that will work just fine, i see rip off merchants charging a fortune for them

if you really want to go the step down convertor route make sure to get one that can handle over 300 watts as the ps3 will require this (very seldom but somtimes), it should also be noted that a step down convertor could blow up your ps3 :)

if you got a 300 watts one and your ps3 wanted 380watts (its max) it could overload the stepdown convertor and fry the lot, or so i am told

order games where you can get them cheapest as all the japanese games appear to be fully in english as well, which your ps3 will auto detect and set them too, providing you set your ps3 up as english on the initial boot, the only thing is that the manuals will be in japanese but you dont need a manual for Resistance or COD3 as its all explained in game :)

make sure when getting a hdmi cable you dont pay a huge amount, you can get one for 10-15 quid that will work just fine, i see rip off merchants charging a fortune for them

if you really want to go the step down convertor route make sure to get one that can handle over 300 watts as the ps3 will require this (very seldom but somtimes), it should also be noted that a step down convertor could blow up your ps3 :)

if you got a 300 watts one and your ps3 wanted 380watts (its max) it could overload the stepdown convertor and fry the lot, or so i am told

order games where you can get them cheapest as all the japanese games appear to be fully in english as well, which your ps3 will auto detect and set them too, providing you set your ps3 up as english on the initial boot, the only thing is that the manuals will be in japanese but you dont need a manual for Resistance or COD3 as its all explained in game :)

god the step down converter thing is a bit frightening lol what about the step down i posted at the bottom of page 1! Would that be ok? it says on PlayAsia that it's for playing the imported Ps3, Xbox 360's etc..also do u have any links where i can get games that will send over to the UK? and dnt worri about manuals i never read them anyway :p just look at pictures!

i'm certain if play asia are saying its fine then it works a treat, the step down convertor i have is about 4 times the size of the 360 power supply :)

as for games i've bought mine of ebay from hong kong-japan for about ?35 including P&P

Well I have taken the plunge, on Sunday I bought myself an Asian Playstation 3, now I think I got a good deal and can't wait for it to arrive, been tracking it and I cannot wait!

- Playstation 3 60GB (Asian Unit)

- Resistance: FOM

- RR7

- Gengi

- Gundam

- HDMI Cable

- 2-5 Day Delivery from Hong Kong

Cost - ?554

Cannot WAIT!!!!

Gavin, you will get alot of people telling you not to and giving every single reason in the world not too, don't listen to them as they don't own one. Listen to people who have and they will praise everything about importing one. For the price I paid, I think I have done well and just for that price alone the import is a good reaosn.

Well I have taken the plunge, on Sunday I bought myself an Asian Playstation 3, now I think I got a good deal and can't wait for it to arrive, been tracking it and I cannot wait!

- Playstation 3 60GB (Asian Unit)

- Resistance: FOM

- RR7

- Gengi

- Gundam

- HDMI Cable

- 2-5 Day Delivery from Hong Kong

Cost - ?554

Cannot WAIT!!!!

Gavin, you will get alot of people telling you not to and giving every single reason in the world not too, don't listen to them as they don't own one. Listen to people who have and they will praise everything about importing one. For the price I paid, I think I have done well and just for that price alone the import is a good reaosn.

Alrite Scazza:)) if u even remember me haha

Where did u order it from? all that for ?554 u def got a good deal, dont matter what people say i want a ps3! It aint even for me haha my bro's GF phoned me and asked me was it a good idea to get him one and i was like fck yeah get it now now now! Her dad is living in Hong Kong at:D:D

Do you know any US sites or Japan sites that will send games to the UK? I aint got a eBay account and i dont really wanna mess around with eBay.

Also are you gona be using a Stepdown Converter??

if its a hong kong ps3 it runs on the same voltage as the UK mains

(just like the 100v japanese one :) )

i think you will have issues getting PS3 games anywhere but Ebay as most retailers are afraid of Sony and the lawsuits they would file if they found them selling PS3 games