Vista slow at copying files

Hey,

i get great speed bout 15mbs a sec ave. what are your speed numbers per sec? everybody complains but i see no real numbers or screen shots of you tranfer time...

• 2 weeks later...

For people with slow transfers over a network, I have found the following useful:

• Ensure that Media Center and/or Windows Media Player are CLOSED on both machines.
  • Make sure Flow Control is enabled on your network adapter. Right click on the relevant network connection (e.g., Local Area Network) and select Properties. Click Properties next to the name of the adapter, then find Flow Control in the list, and ensure it's set to ON.

When both of the above are true, my network transfer speeds approach 99% of capacity on a gigabit LAN. When Media Center or WMP is open, the speed seems limited to ~12%. When Flow Control is disabled, max speed are ~45%. No idea why WMP/Media Center seem to limit bandwidth so much, but it worked for me, and hopefully it helps someone else.

o god, i'm glad i'm not the only one w/ this problem....here's what i posed in another forum

ok, so here's the deal with whats going on, which i don't understand.

On my vista machine i have two mapped drives that connect to my server (windows 2003).

Now, I tried two things and figured out what the deal was:

1. I setup a FTP server on the Server machine and shared one drive on the ftp server. I then ran a FTP client on my vista machine and transfered a file from the server to my vista machine and got 60MB/sec!

2. I then set up a share on my Vista machine, logged into my server and transfered a file from my Server to the shared Vista folder and got 60MB/sec.

3. Back on my vista machine, I tried transferring a file from the mapped network drive (which is the same drive as my above 2 tests) to my Vista machine hard drive and got only 20MB/sec. Also, instead of going thru the mapped drives, i went thru the network browser (which essentially is the same thing i guess) and still got only 20MB/sec.

I have auto tuning off, firewall service turned off, and no anti-virus software running...also sending a file from my vista machine to the server thru the mapped drive results in 60MB/sec transfer...its only when im transfering FROM the server to the vista machine from the mapped drive or network browser that i get 20MB/sec.

so basically, FTPing into the server and transferring a file to my vista machine resulted in a fast 60MB/sec transfer....as well as sharing a folder in vista and accessing that share thru the server and transferring a file to the vista machine thru that share on the server machine resulted in a fast 60MB/sec transfer...

the problem lies when using Vista's explorer (mapped drives or not) to transfer a file from the server to the vista machine...which only results in 20MB/sec.

So something is up with how vista is mapping the network drives and something with vista is causing it to transfer slow when going from the mapped drive to the vista machine.

Any ideas?

this needs a fix!!!!!!!!

4.0 MB/S copying files from PC to a USB Thumbdrive in XP

1.5 MB/S copying files from PC to USB Thumbdrive in Vista. Definitely something up with vista. Still no fixes for this?

Wha...? You mean pre-caching applications into RAM to dramatically reduce start times give no benefit?

Not for me...with Raid 0 (WD Raptor 10000RPM) superfetch is totally useless...because my load time without it is just damn fast...you can't tell difference with or without superfetch...

As hard drive gets faster and faster superfetch is going to be more and more useless...

Also, the whole idea about new I-O in Windows Vista is not right. They were supposed to fix the situations happenning with XP where if you lose network connection...a system finds a way out. With Vista is even worse.

Not for me...with Raid 0 (WD Raptor 10000RPM) superfetch is totally useless...because my load time without it is just damn fast...you can't tell difference with or without superfetch...

As hard drive gets faster and faster superfetch is going to be more and more useless...

Also, the whole idea about new I-O in Windows Vista is not right. They were supposed to fix the situations happenning with XP where if you lose network connection...a system finds a way out. With Vista is even worse.

Even with a RAID-0 array with 10k Raptors, the seek time on your hard drives should be many many many many times longer than the seek time from your RAM.

Vista isn't ready. SP1 may fix some of the problems but I doubt it.

:rolleyes: How many times are you going to spout this crap? It's completely untrue and every time you say it you look that much more ignorant.

You can also check the sytem board manufacturer's website for a newer bios update if available. Also, I remember reading a while ago that certian VIA southbridge chipsets caused issues with slow/corrupt data transfer -- try the VIA 4-in-1 update pack. For intel, I downloaded the latest INF utility and noticed updated drivers upon reboot. Let me know if you see better results.

::winXpert::

I darn sure do. I loaded the new VIA drivers and vroom vroom vroom, I love Veesta once again. Everything is faster, not just file transfers. Rock on buddy! :woot:

You can also check the sytem board manufacturer's website for a newer bios update if available. Also, I remember reading a while ago that certian VIA southbridge chipsets caused issues with slow/corrupt data transfer -- try the VIA 4-in-1 update pack. For intel, I downloaded the latest INF utility and noticed updated drivers upon reboot. Let me know if you see better results.

::winXpert::

Thanks for this tip... I never thought about updating the chipset drivers from Intel. This resulted in improved speeds with Longhorn server Beta 3... and I'm sure the same will apply to Vista. I think I just may have solved my biggest problem with vista.. slow transfers between disk partitions. I'll have to try a few more things though before I can conclusively say its fixed.

If anyone else has an Intel board, I definitely recommend getting their updated Vista chipset drivers.

Is it safe to installed the Intel chipset drivers on a well used Vista install with all the current drivers and apps I already have installed?

Also, would it be an idea to reinstall all the other hardware drivers once the chipset driver is installed?

I thought it was best to install the INF chipset drivers before any other drivers - but I ain't gonna do ANOTHER reformat & install of Vista - that would make it my 4th install with this slow buggy piece of crap OS (which unfortunately I like very much... I'm just an eye candy ######, and on top of that DVD Maker / Media Center are very useful for me)

I fixed my slow coping problem with disabling thumbnail preview in explorer might wanna give it a try

What does thumbnail preview do? How do you disable it and what does effect does it have?

It gives you a Icon with a picture or a picture of the video instead to the normal icon its in the folder option under the view tab just uncheck "Always show icons, never thumbnails" like i said it solved my issue. hope it helps because the other fixes didnt help me.

• 1 year later...
Hey guys and gals,

I "Think" I solved the answer to the slow copying. I came across this while trying to uninstall the MS SQL sync program. This may work for you I have noticed a HUGE increase on the web and on my network with this. I use Ultimate btw.

Start >> Control Panel >> Programs and Features

Click on " Turn windows features on or off" on the left side of the panel

Takes a sec to load all the features

Uncheck "Remote Differential Compression"

I also unchecked "Print Services" (Since I don't have a printer)

Click "Ok" and you will be all set.

I then copied a 700 movie from one drive to another and it took less then 10 secs.

-+>Aaron

Let me know if it works for you.

I did this and it took only a seconds in copying a file in a flash drive before it was more than a minute

The file copying is slow because you have low memory, 512MB is the min to run vista but it will be VERY slow, upgrade the ram to 2GB and then file transfers will be fast as vista won't need to use the slow HDD.