Vista slow at copying files

I seen this too, but when I had Nero on it was much much worse. I removed it recently because of other problems too and it seems to be much faster now. Not sure if I'd say faster then XP but not near as slow as it was. Do any of you have Nero installed? Just wondering if we have/had this in common.

I don't have Nero, but I only have a 1 Gb DDR2 if that makes any difference

I'm using the ReadyBoost feature as well (with a 1 Gb Flash drive), maybe this is slowing down the copying? (I notice it writes some info on the usb while copying)

I've had issues too, not all the time though. Sometimes I can copy a folder to another drive really quick. Othertimes it takes ages.

I have Nero install.

I think I tried stopping the service called Superfetch

Disable the service called SuperFetch, some people say it improves hard disk performance.

:no: Bad move!

Superfetch is the new Windows Vista's memory manager. DON'T DISABLE IT!!! DON'T BE STUPID!

Edited by franzon

:no: Bad move!

Superfetch is the new Windows Vista's memory manager. DON'T DISABLE IT!!! DON'T BE STUPID!

Superfetch is a new thing thats dont really give any benefit. But anyway, disable superfetch and readyboost dont help to increase the copy/network speed

superfetch is designed for hybrid drives not the older magnetic ones.

You will not get a benefit on magnetic drives.

That's ReadyDrive not SuperFetch... everyone benefits from SuperFetch since all it does is load your typical apps into unused memory.

Thank god for dual boot, or in my case triple boot. LOL Win XP Pro/Vista/OSX

Let me tell you in my opinion, just like when XP went gold it was slow at first and then as sp1 got pushed out the door it got better. I think we are going to have to wait for vista sp1 before we can see a speed increase. I have done the following steps on three different computers and have had great success in speeding up Vista on all fronts.

Go to the run line, or if a noob the start button (Its Round)

Type in the run line services.msc

Go to the line name where you see Machine Debug Manager

Double click on it, then stop, and disable the Machine Debug Manager

Go to the line name where you see Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service

Then stop and disable the Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service (This is used to push to a media center expander device like xbox360 and this eats cpu like no tomorrow)

Last go to line name where you see windows search

Then stop and disable the Windows search (This also eats tons of cpu)

Reboot and you will see the difference right away. If you don't see a difference, use your computer as a boat anchor, and buy a new pc. :laugh:

Thank god for dual boot, or in my case triple boot. LOL Win XP Pro/Vista/OSX

Let me tell you in my opinion, just like when XP went gold it was slow at first and then as sp1 got pushed out the door it got better. I think we are going to have to wait for vista sp1 before we can see a speed increase. I have done the following steps on three different computers and have had great success in speeding up Vista on all fronts.

Go to the run line, or if a noob the start button (Its Round)

Type in the run line services.msc

Go to the line name where you see Machine Debug Manager

Double click on it, then stop, and disable the Machine Debug Manager

Go to the line name where you see Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service

Then stop and disable the Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service (This is used to push to a media center expander device like xbox360 and this eats cpu like no tomorrow)

Last go to line name where you see windows search

Then stop and disable the Windows search (This also eats tons of cpu)

Reboot and you will see the difference right away. If you don't see a difference, use your computer as a boat anchor, and buy a new pc. :laugh:

Dont hekp to speed up copy/transfer....

What type of computer are you using? An E-Machine perhaps? I am using a gigibit router and gigibit cards.

Opteron 170@3Ghz, 3com gigabit cards and Dlink 4300 gigabit router.. With XP my transfer rate is approx 550 Mbit and with vista its 60 Mbit

That's ReadyDrive not SuperFetch... everyone benefits from SuperFetch since all it does is load your typical apps into unused memory.

More or less :)

At any rate, SuperFetch has nothing to do with hybrid harddrives or whatnot. It's mainly designed to take advantage of larger memory - though it should help on virtually every system.

omg i am going insane as days go by :| :|

thanks for correcting me rofl

Here is a pic of my copying of files gone wrong.

This happens all the time.

When I kill these explorer.exe dies.

post-112812-1166696514_thumb.jpg

Edited by Alphanumeric

Im having the same slow file copy issues.

Network performance is horrible. Trying to access my mapped network drives is insane. Its probably takes 30 seconds just to open a folder sometimes on the network. I have a gig connection between me and the SAN too =(