Sony only shipped 197k PS3s to US

With all the NPD buzz going on today it looks like nobody really touched on the Playstation 3's shipment numbers. If you remember, Sony cut its initial 2006 shipment to the United States from 1,000,000 units to a more realistic 400,000. Since the PS3 launch, Sony has been very mum about sales figures and today we found out why. According to NPD sales data Sony only shipped 197,000 units to the US in November missing their promised 400,000.

Source

Via

That's ridiculous, why ship them at all. They should have just held off until a more viable number could be obtained, at least then they could have spared the rioting and shootings.

That's ridiculous, why ship them at all. They should have just held off until a more viable number could be obtained, at least then they could have spared the rioting and shootings.

Its a strategy - its called publicity :laugh:

and its good publicity - think of all those who heard of everyone wanting PS3 so bad - not all channels got the selling-at-ebay-for-a-higher-price thingy :shifty:

Its a strategy - its called publicity :laugh:

and its good publicity - think of all those who heard of everyone wanting PS3 so bad - not all channels got the selling-at-ebay-for-a-higher-price thingy :shifty:

Think of all the people that would've bought one at launch if it was available but because of the "reality" of the PS3 being covered all over the media they will change it to a Wii60 or something else.

"I was going to get a PS3 but I just read that article that it actually looks worse than the Xbox. Good thing they were out of stock."

Think of all the people that would've bought one at launch if it was available but because of the "reality" of the PS3 being covered all over the media they will change it to a Wii60 or something else.

"I was going to get a PS3 but I just read that article that it actually looks worse than the Xbox. Good thing they were out of stock."

Uhh, the graphics being superior on the x360 wasnt on national tv - was it?

Uhh, the graphics being superior on the x360 wasnt on national tv - was it?

Oh my. If the only people you expect to buy a PS3 are the general uninformed populace then the PS3 is in more trouble than previously thought. :no:

What are the expected numbers for the PS3 worldwide by the end of the year? It seems like it was around 600,000 but I can't find where I read that.

Sony promised 2 million before 2006 ended.

Not. Gonna. Happen.

As long as its sorted by March I don't care.... thats when the good games start to come out anyway :laugh:

Oh my. If the only people you expect to buy a PS3 are the general uninformed populace then the PS3 is in more trouble than previously thought. :no:

No, but uninformed is the majority.

Not. Gonna. Happen.

Nintendo promised 1mill units to America

Not. Gonna. Happen.

http://www.betanews.com/article/Nintendo_R...yway/1165615117

I think none of the consoles had their wishes come true..

Not. Gonna. Happen.

Yeah, I know that. :laugh:

I saw some new numbers from an analyst somewhere recently. Seems like they expect around 600,000 worldwide by the end of the year. I just can't find the article anymore. :/

I believe they promised 400,000 units for North America. So yes, if they only shipped 197,000 to the US then it would seem unlikely (to say the least) that they shipped 203,000 units to Canada and Mexico. Clearly they missed their targets but it may not be as big as some might think.

Sony could've shipped a million units and probably would've faced a shortage, everyone wants the new kid on the block, same with the Wii.

Plenty of x360's at my local Best Buy though, not a PS3, DS or Wii is sight (other than the kiosks). Sort of wanted a Wii though, but I don't really game much anymore, so it's not bugging me to wait.

Although I bet half the PS3's shipped wound up on ebay.

I believe they promised 400,000 units for North America. So yes, if they only shipped 197,000 to the US then it would seem unlikely (to say the least) that they shipped 203,000 units to Canada and Mexico. Clearly they missed their targets but it may not be as big as some might think.

Also note that Sony promised 400,000 on launch day. The 197,000 number covers all of November, including shipments that came after launch day.