EA: Current games on PS3

Awesome, I wanna see some really good games on the ps3, cuz I'm still thinking about buying one.

Recently Glenn Entis, Vice President and Chief Visual Officer at Electronic Arts discussed his feelings about the PlayStation 3 console.

When asked, how do the PS3 and Xbox 360 match up? Glenn responded:

"The whole industry knows it's been a challenge; the PS3's a very complex piece of equipment. On one hand it's a challenge, on the other hand there's tremendous potential in that box. I think it's going to take developers a little while to figure out how to unlock that power.

We've got games coming out now where we feel we've hit maybe 20 per cent of the potential of PlayStation 3. We know the power's there, but like any new platform it's going to take us a little bit of time to unleash it.

Was it more complex than we were expecting? Yes, probably; there were some challenges that we didn't expect. We've got tremendous confidence long-term that it's going to be a phenomenal games machine."

So to find that EA has only tapped into 20% of the PS3's power, you look at games like Fight Night Round 3 with amazing graphics and realistic facial animations, it makes you wonder what the PS3 will have in store for us in the future. Like Glenn said,"...We know the power's there, but like any new platform it's going to take us a little bit of time to unleash it."

See, we're not all ###### :laugh: :devil: :p

You do realize that's EA saying this, right?

I do believe that PS3 games will get better with time, but I mean EA doesn't really push the envelope when it comes to gaming.

i can't believe it's only 20%. specially since it's coming from EA... the developer who will least use the PS3 power cause all it does is make cross-platform games (which means building for the least common denominator).

where's that article about EA's brand being tainted, again?

It has always been like this - the games get better visually and in gameplay as time progresses.

Try comparing a first generation game of any console with a last generation game on that console.

Only 20% seems exaggerated tho :D

i can't believe it's only 20%. specially since it's coming from EA... the developer who will least use the PS3 power cause all it does is make cross-platform games (which means building for the least common denominator).

where's that article about EA's brand being tainted, again?

I can easily believe its 20%. Think about it, all of EA's games on the PS3 are just ports from the 360. So they won't be using all of the SPE's on the cell (thinking about it, EA being as lazy as they are, are probably not using any, and just using the PPE). And so hence EA games only using 20% of the consoles power.

No doubt other games (from less lazy devs) probably use more of the PS3's ability, but there is still a lot of room for performance and graphics to be improved. (RFOM is only using 2 of the SPE's - and look at the progression in graphics from PS2 launch titles to PS2 titles now)

Ah, so with 20% of the power they charge the extra 20% extra. So with the other 80% missing, what is going to be their markup?? ;)

This comment is only meant to poke fun at EA's business model. They charge more for less features, buggier and less enjoyable games and their costs increase every year. With a game like the Call of Duty series, I would have expected bigger maps buy now and more gameplay. IMO, Far Cry, Op Flashpoint, etc are tons better. EA has much to learn.

I'm a PS2 gamer, Mac owner and former PC gamer.

If they dont know how powerful it is, how can they quantify how much of the power theyve already used, im not trying to bash the PS3, but all im saying is they could be using 75% of the power and not know it.

If they dont know how powerful it is, how can they quantify how much of the power theyve already used, im not trying to bash the PS3, but all im saying is they could be using 75% of the power and not know it.

From the article:

We've got games coming out now where we feel we've hit maybe 20 per cent of the potential of PlayStation 3. We know the power's there, but like any new platform it's going to take us a little bit of time to unleash it.

In the past Sony has given developers performance analysers so that they can see how much of the Consoles power they are using.

I know this happened with the original PlayStation and PS2. I'm not sure if they have got an analyser ready for the PS3 yet though.

I don't get "games are only using 20% of the systems power" out of "we feel we've hit maybe 20 per cent of the potential"

I think people are over analyzing a stupid statement by a second-rate developer. I mean if anyone expects an 80% increase in graphics quality or something they are crazy.

4455normal_Internet-SeriousBusiness.jpg

I want a PS3, I just can't find a reason that'll justify the $600 price tag. I can't really say EA is mistaken but their word alot of the time holds no water. I can see how the full potential of the PS3 is not being used though, no one can deny that.

Thread Closed

I need to clean this thread up, and possibly hand out some warnings and gaming forum restrictions.

I might possibly reopen it, as it should have just been a civil discussion, but it went to hell in a hand-basket within minutes.

Contrary to popular belief, it was not just one member, it was several.

This is seriously getting sad guys. Not quite sure what else to say.

DL

Thread Reopened.

Please Stay on topic. I had to delete TWO PAGES worth of comments.

If you have nothing nice to say, simply do not say it. Nice and easy.

Still looking into everything as well.

So some PR guy makes up a clearly completely inaccurate figure... so what?

If that were the case, then 360 games would only be using <20% of the 360's power... but of course, none of this is true. Yes the system has more power than hasn't been used in most games - but not 5 times. Not even close, no matter how you measure it (a detail that was obviously neglected).

So some PR guy makes up a clearly completely inaccurate figure... so what?

If that were the case, then 360 games would only be using <20% of the 360's power... but of course, none of this is true. Yes the system has more power than hasn't been used in most games - but not 5 times. Not even close, no matter how you measure it (a detail that was obviously neglected).

How'd come up with that conclusion? If anything, there is a greater probability that a newer system (especially when it has just been released to the public) will have more untapped potential then a system that already has hundreds of games made for it. Sure the guy is most likely exagerrating the figures, but I think everyone will agree with me when I say that the system has untapped potential.

How'd come up with that conclusion?

That's my conclusion given that the current games look largely the same, and the 360 has more powerful hardware.

Notice he said

"20% Potential"

not

"20% Graphical Capability."

There's a lot more to next-gen than prettiness. You know, better AI, microtransations, processors dedicated solely to cloth simulation. That sort of thing ;)

See i dont know.... I guess i can say i am (or was) a sony fanboy. But with Sony making a system that in my opinion is on the same level as the 360 (for almost double the price) is nuts. Ive seen pictures of both systems head to head with graphics and some video as well. And yes, the 360 has been out for a year i know, but with the PS3 being so powerful i figured off the bat it would be so amazing. But the best way to put it (and i forget how the gentleman said it) but its not like the PS3 will make 3-4 times better graphics than 360. Maybe a smooth line here and a extra effect here and thats about it.

So just hitting 20% of the power in the PS3 im not so sure about. I could be talking out my butt and maybe im not making sense.... but it seems EA is just rying to sell the PS3 with sales of their software. :huh:

i have to agree with the poster above me and brandon... the 360 and ps3 are so close in terms of hardware that one can not be delivering 20% of its power for the first gen of its games and look the same as one that has been out a year or so and is probably if not at its peak reaching the peak of its performance

i can accept ps3 hasnt hit its peak yet, in fact i would be suprised if any new console can at launch but to say it can improve 5 fold in anyway shape or form is a little OTT im afraid imo... but because im only a gamer and not a Dev with grand knowledge...only time will tell!