PS3 has a higher tolerance for scratched discs

I've only had my 360 hiccup once on a DVD, and later found out that DVD was defective (incorrectly made, so the PS3 would've had similar issues). Other than that, my noisy 360 DVD drive hasn't let me down. :happy:

ive had my 360 hiccup once on GoW but thats it so far :D

I guess this is all to do with the blu-ray laser on the drive, if this is true blu-ray may do better then i thought in this battle

ive had my 360 hiccup once on GoW but thats it so far :D

I guess this is all to do with the blu-ray laser on the drive, if this is true blu-ray may do better then i thought in this battle

I'd imagine an HD-DVD drive would similarly be good at reading through scratches. Probably related to the blue laser more than something specific to the BluRay drives.

Interesting... my Halo 2 disc is really in bad shape and my original Xbox has trouble reading it sometimes, however, the 360 has always played it just fine. I guess the issue is with Movie DVDs or something? I dunno. :) I'm assuming the Blu-Ray drive is the reason why the PS3 is more tolerant to scratches since Blu-Ray discs are more affected by scratches due to the data layer being closer to the surface than on DVDs.

Well dont Bhav... I guess your right... PS3 is the best console, worth every cent. :sleep:

What the hell?! I didn't make any comments, just copied and pasted directly from the site.

And I posted it in the Sony Gaming forum so as to avoid stupid comments like yours.

The fact of the matter is, this is what probably makes the cost of the PS3 so high...

You dont realise that the 360 DVD drive is the cheapest piece of **** excuse for a DVD Drive that i have ever seen.

It has destroyed numerous game discs of mine, putting big fack off rings around the discs, not exactly nice..

It also doesnt open no more, it gets jammed a lot and always asks me to put in a real 360 game..

Then your 360 is clearly faulty - return it. A year after owning my 360, not one of my games is damaged or has ever been damaged. The same can be said for the 5 or so of my friends that own 360s. It may also be worth bearing in mind that there are 3 different models of DVD drive in the 360 at present - though I've owned a console with a Hitachi and a Samsung drive and haven't had problems with either.

Anyway, back on-topic, that's good news.

yep, bluray discs have the data packed more tightly than hd-dvd's (which gives the higher capacity) and so scratches become worse on bluray when compared to hd-dvd so they coat the discs in some "scratch proof" coating so scratching isnt a problem

Blu-Ray or HD-DVD has nothing to do with it.

It's which one plays regular ol' DVD's better.

Which may not be a big deal, except for maybe if game discs get scratched.

Interesting... my Halo 2 disc is really in bad shape and my original Xbox has trouble reading it sometimes, however, the 360 has always played it just fine. I guess the issue is with Movie DVDs or something? I dunno. :) I'm assuming the Blu-Ray drive is the reason why the PS3 is more tolerant to scratches since Blu-Ray discs are more affected by scratches due to the data layer being closer to the surface than on DVDs.

They are more affected, but that's why they're coated with that stuff from TDK

*does Google search to seem smart*

DURABIS2

Regardless of this article, which would btw have to have more evidence to be proven correct. (And I'm a big PS3 supporter). Aren't the blu-ray disks coated with an almost scratch proof polymer? I know the BD-DVDR disks have this new polymer, but I'm not sure about BD like movies and games. (Non Scratch able == for me, I always somehow get my disks scratched.)

Then your 360 is clearly faulty - return it. A year after owning my 360, not one of my games is damaged or has ever been damaged. The same can be said for the 5 or so of my friends that own 360s. It may also be worth bearing in mind that there are 3 different models of DVD drive in the 360 at present - though I've owned a console with a Hitachi and a Samsung drive and haven't had problems with either.

Anyway, back on-topic, that's good news.

The 360 is cheap, TBH. I have seen up-close proof of such a statement. Three of my friends have had to return their 360's because of a plethora of problems, sporadically reaching from laser problems to those weird errors people were getting last year. I hope that MS has fixed most of their problems (Everyone has them, but I think MS had them for longer than most do) and hope we don't see any problems in the long run with the system. ;)

Edited by Cole