Playing PS1/PS2 games on PS3 with widescreen LCD

Let's say I play PS3 with a widescreen LCD computer monitor. If I play PS1 or PS2 games that don't support widescreen, would the picture be stretched out? In order to display them properly, would the monitor need to have an aspect ratio option?

Let's say I play PS3 with a widescreen LCD computer monitor. If I play PS1 or PS2 games that don't support widescreen, would the picture be stretched out? In order to display them properly, would the monitor need to have an aspect ratio option?

I can't speak personally about whether the PS3 itself scales or stretches the image of a PS1/PS2 game but..

I can tell you that scaling on widescreen monitors is entirely different depending on what monitor you have. Monitors that don't give you the option of 5:4 or 16:9 (or 16:10) aspect ratios will either scale or adjust the image (and the methods that a monitor will use also differ with models/makes, 1:1 pixel scaling is the best) or instead you will get an image that doesn't fill the entire screen. But I'd say from my experience most widescreen monitors will scale and not give you aspect ratio options.

I'd give us your monitor make/model so someone can give you a real answer.

I don't have a monitor yet. I'm looking to buy one later on. I guess I'll get one that has aspect ratio options. I don't want to spend much more than $300, and want at least a 19" widescreen. It also must support HDCP. Any suggestions? I know the Dell ones work.