Video: Backwards Compatibility on PS3 Looks bad

Oh, So THATS why you bought you brand new x360 :woot:

not to mention phil harrison said a while back that we belive in playing games in thier original form, meaning no advantages gained from TEH CELL!!!! doesnt upscale etc no proper texture filtering and anti-aliasing added :( ... either sony are waaay to lazy to do this or they just havent got the expertise.

It's a nice bonus. I'm sure he bought it for the good games available for the system.

Exactly. In fact, I still planned on buying an Xbox 360 when Microsoft had no plans for backwards compatibility. I wanted games like Halo 3, Fable 2, the MechAssault series, and more. I've been used to no backwards compatibility, having been a Nintendo fan since the SNES.

ps2 games looked the same on the ps3 then they do on the ps2 when i played them.

Same in my case, I don't see a difference.

I believe this issue only exist on some ps2 games, and the latest FF game was fixed with update 1.31 as of yesterday according to Sony.

Well I love playing my old games but right now I'm mostly playing PS3 games. I still hope Sony fixes this. BTW it seems that SE games look the worst, other games I have don't look as bad. Witch is probably really bad because I don't often play old shooters but I love to play old FF games or some other PS1 SE games.

Sony better get working on that big firmware update in march :).

how many PS2 games will people actually play on a PS3 though?

I've only played 2 PS1 games on my PS2 (hogs of war and Driver 2). So for me anyway, backwards compatibility is pretty low down on what I want a console to do.

Not many, I've never played a PS1 game on my PS2.

Looks like the mindless fanboys are having fun seething about that video.. stupid morons..
Let me explain what the Sony fanboys looked like in the past and it might shed some light on why a lot of negative issues are being laughed at, etc.

Say you are about to buy a car. You decide on a Corvette (or a Viper, or a Porsche, whatever). You're happy with your choice. Then this guy comes along and tells you, "You're buying a Corvette? What a piece of junk! The car I'm going to buy is going to be 10x better than yours! OMG, I can't believe you're buying a Corvette! LOL" Your car has one of those donuts for a spare. Whatever, you're only using it in an emergency anyways. The guy says, "Ha! My car will come with a full size spare and a matching rim!" OK, great, whatever. Your car looks nice and goes fast, which is what you want.

A year goes by and the guy gets his new car. It's a year newer and has a lot of new features in the engine that at least make it sound like it should be faster. Also, it costs 50% more than your car did. Turns out not only does his car not have a full size spare, it doesn't come with a spare. "We'll be shipping spares to the owners at a later time, and they'll be donuts." Then he pulls up next to you at a stop light and revs the engine so you say, what the heck, and race him. It's a close one. On the straightaways you beat him but he's better around corners so at the finish you basically come in at the same time. He jumps out and brags about how great he was around the corners. OK, but you tied anyways. You can't resist but show him that he paid more for a car that he bragged would be so much better but is the same as your car.

Anyways. that's why I think the PS3 is taking so much flak right now. The Sony fanboys were such annoying overbearing twits talking about how much better it would be that, well, reality is a bitch.

(Please don't take my example too literally, I was just trying to cover some general points)

Oh dear God! The PS2 games look absolutely terrible on the PS3. Sony has once again tried to slip something past its loyal customers. Honestly, I wonder why we even bother supporting them...We give them so much money and they stab us in the back over and over and over and over :(

Let me explain what the Sony fanboys looked like in the past and it might shed some light on why a lot of negative issues are being laughed at, etc.

Say you are about to buy a car. You decide on a Corvette (or a Viper, or a Porsche, whatever). You're happy with your choice. Then this guy comes along and tells you, "You're buying a Corvette? What a piece of junk! The car I'm going to buy is going to be 10x better than yours! OMG, I can't believe you're buying a Corvette! LOL" Your car has one of those donuts for a spare. Whatever, you're only using it in an emergency anyways. The guy says, "Ha! My car will come with a full size spare and a matching rim!" OK, great, whatever. Your car looks nice and goes fast, which is what you want.

A year goes by and the guy gets his new car. It's a year newer and has a lot of new features in the engine that at least make it sound like it should be faster. Also, it costs 50% more than your car did. Turns out not only does his car not have a full size spare, it doesn't come with a spare. "We'll be shipping spares to the owners at a later time, and they'll be donuts." Then he pulls up next to you at a stop light and revs the engine so you say, what the heck, and race him. It's a close one. On the straightaways you beat him but he's better around corners so at the finish you basically come in at the same time. He jumps out and brags about how great he was around the corners. OK, but you tied anyways. You can't resist but show him that he paid more for a car that he bragged would be so much better but is the same as your car.

Anyways. that's why I think the PS3 is taking so much flak right now. The Sony fanboys were such annoying overbearing twits talking about how much better it would be that, well, reality is a bitch.

(Please don't take my example too literally, I was just trying to cover some general points)

Excellent account and analogy to exactly what's going on. I applaud your post. (Y) :D

Excellent account and analogy to exactly what's going on. I applaud your post. (Y) :D

Yeah, great analogy. Except you forgot about the part to where you make sure to rub it in the face of the Corvette owner every time something negative is release about his car. Then you go onto Corvette fan forums and rub it in their faces. Then you claim that "well I like cars that's why I'm here". Then you and a bunch of your buddies all with the same cars in their sigs keep posting the same kind of drivel forever. Then claim well you guys did it first. Yet you don't realize you look just as ridiculous as the Corvette owner that you are trying to bash. :|

Yeah, great analogy. Except you forgot about the part to where you make sure to rub it in the face of the Corvette owner every time something negative is release about his car. Then you go onto Corvette fan forums and rub it in their faces. Then you claim that "well I like cars that's why I'm here". Then you and a bunch of your buddies all with the same cars in their sigs keep posting the same kind of drivel forever. Then claim well you guys did it first. Yet you don't realize you look just as ridiculous as the Corvette owner that you are trying to bash. :|

You ignore the part about the whole year before how annoying the Sony camp was. The point of me explaining why everything you mentioned above is happening is the reason for my analogy.

You ignore the part about the whole year before how annoying the Sony camp was. The point of me explaining why everything you mentioned above is happening is the reason for my analogy.

No I didn't.

Yet you don't realize you look just as ridiculous as the Corvette owner that you are trying to bash.

:rolleyes: *sigh*

Both sides are annoying was the point I was trying to get at. Both the Sony lovers who boasted and now the non-Sony lovers who shove it back in their face. People need to quit trying to shove their console agenda down the opposing sides throats and go enjoy the console that they like. There is no need for the my console is better than yours argument by either side. It makes them both look equally lame.

Excellent Post! This is what is happening and magik has it right on.

How did i guess mufdvr3669 would trash a thread with his comments yet again.

How did i guess mufdvr3669 would trash a thread with his comments yet again.

Sorry. Apparently someone can say that Sony fanboys are lame and are the reason why their is so much negativity towards Sony by other consoles fanboys. Then I say both sides are lame and should stop and that's considered trashing a thread. Sorry, I don't see the logic in that.

haha.. not cool for SONY. They should really fix that issue, especially if it is just a simple firmware update.

There might be some underlying issues that might make this more than just a "simple" update. Regardless however, Sony needs to address this as soon as possible.

Get over it, really. It's not like we are just spitting a bunch of lies. Truth hurts, but criticism is always good. It makes you realize and repair the mistakes you have made in the past.

Will Sony learn from their mistakes? We'll see.

And ****ing great post Ironman273.

Get over it, really. It's not like we are just spitting a bunch of lies. Truth hurts, but criticism is always good. It makes you realize and repair the mistakes you have made in the past.

Sorry. I'm responding to stuff being said currently. Many on here are criticizing over stuff from years back. Get over what now??? I'm not the one holding old grudges. :whistle: Plus criticism isn't always good. Hardly any definites in life. :|

Edited by mufdvr3669

not to mention phil harrison said a while back that we belive in playing games in thier original form, meaning no advantages gained from TEH CELL!!!! doesnt upscale etc no proper texture filtering and anti-aliasing added :( ... either sony are waaay to lazy to do this or they just havent got the expertise.

That's because it doesn't utilize the cell. There's a PS2 chip installed inside the PS3.

This guy has something horribly wrong with his.

I have a couple games shown on that video, and got curious. I used the same TV, used one of my games, put it in the PS3, played for like 5 minutes. Played it on my PS2 on the same level, and well, they looked exactly the same. O_O Did this for 3 Playstation 2 games.

I viewed this on a 1080i ~70inch widescreen HD television. I don't have the HD cords for it yet so all the system resolutions were in 480i (normal res).