Mac OS X 'Leopard'-related Discussion

Mac OS X Leopard Related News Thread

A new thread for news, screenshots and additional information about the upcoming Mac OS X release.

Let's try to stay on topic this time.

Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard 9A321 Seeded

Apple has seeded Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Build 9A321 Client to developers tonight. This comes on the heels of an unconfirmed report that Apple had seeded build 9A326 internally to employees.

According to various reports, the new seed details few changes from previous seeds, with the usual minor bug fixes and a list of ongoing known issues.

Apple last seeded Leopard in November with Build 9A303.

No word on any user interface upgrades which are expected by some in the final Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard release. While there has been some speculation about an early Leopard release, Apple has officially promised Leopard by Spring 2007.

macrumorsmacosx105leopayg2.pnghttp://www.macrumors.com/

Next OS X rumored to feature new GUI

Mac OS X?s Aqua has matured very slowly over the last few years. It seems like many OS X users are tired of Aqua and ready for a new revolutionary GUI to compliment and enhance the experience of using a Mac. An increasingly popular theme for Apple?s latest applications have been smooth unified metal and dark glass. With each major update to one of Apple?s applications, its seems like the days with blue gel scroll-bars and candy bar progress bars are ending.

Its no question that Leopard will feature a new GUI, but no one really knows what it will look like. Its no doubt that Leopard will feature resolution-independent graphics support that will allow for greater resolution displays with the same and windows sizes. However, the details of the interface have not yet been revealed, but many are hoping that we will see the final announcement of Leopard features at Macworld 2007, where chances of a GUI announcement are high.

Apple Gazette has featured a new rumor from a supposed insider that has claimed that the new GUI that will replace Aqua will be nicknamed ?Illuminous?. Apple?s latest trend in its software GUI is a darker, flatter, translucent, reflective, ?illuminating? glass appearance.

The genesis for this rumor started earlier this year when Apple posted a position on Monster.com seeking a senior visual interface designer ?to conceive, design and develop future enhancements to Aqua, the dynamic user interface for Mac OS X?.

macrumorsmacosx105leopayg2.pngAppleGazette

macrumorsmacosx105leopayg2.pngAppleology

Leopard iChat Answering Machine

The latest build of Leopard (9A321) released yesterday introduces a new feature that has not been described by Apple as a new feature in Mac OS X 10.5's iChat.

answeringichat.jpg

The new iChat answering preference tab allows users to record a Video greeting to serve as an answering message when users are away from their desk. The caller may then leave a message. At this time, there only appears to be partial functionality implemented.

The ability to record video-clips has previously been suggested as a tie in to the iPhone to provide a "call ahead" feature.

macrumorsmacosx105leopayg2.pngMac Rumors

The word on another site is nothing is new aside from a new filesystem, ZFS. No black GUI, no Sync Manager.

I read a whole article a while back about Apple possibly switching to ZFS. Kinda cool to hear they actually going to do it, as the author wasn't as optimistic. :o

I doubt we'll see anything of the UI before 2007.

The new GUI might be nice if it doesn't look like iTunes 7. If they copy their iTunes, well then I hope they will leave the choice to select a theme. Or I am gonna use Shapeshifter.

Apparently, Time Machine would be a front end to the ZFS system. The ZFS system is known to record many changes made on the hard disk, and Time Machine would use this HD database to its own functionality. The thing that was controversial in what I read though is that the developer builds don't have ZFS and yet Time Machine works... so I don't know if it's true.

again... the cat and mouse game between MS and apple. MS copies Apple, apple copies MS iots the same very day....

before you say something... I do like Apple, I own an 80GB ipod, use itunes 7, and been looking in to Imacs and macbooks... (so its all cool :p)

I makes absolutely ZERO difference as to who copies whom for the actual user.

The real clincher is who has made the best implementationof it in terms of functionality and design.

again... the cat and mouse game between MS and apple. MS copies Apple, apple copies MS iots the same very day....

Here we go again... Is it really that hard to stay on topic?

9a321 is floating around on the webbernet now.

The discimage of this build is huge, 5.14 GB. Must partially be because of the extra languages Mac OS X Leopard now supports out of the box, Russian is one of them.

The build with the black GUI is 9A326 and is only internally released inside apple...

It's black. But its has gold and platium trim around the edges. And a hint of diamond sparkles here and there. :shifty: Actually, I think done the right way with a glossy screen cover, it might actually look cool.

@divinatum, funny you should find such a picture just a few minutes after everyone's been asking for it. All the while we've been searching the Internet for it. :laugh:

The build with the black GUI is 9A326 and is only internally released inside apple...

Ohh I would love a black GUI. I cannot wait to see if the rumors turn out to be validated.

Looks like Apple messed up the Action button in the Finder. In previous builds the buttons would only look like that with resolution independent UI enabled.

Yes, I noticed that myself.

@divinatum, funny you should find such a picture just a few minutes after everyone's been asking for it. All the while we've been searching the Internet for it. :laugh:

:whistle: