Mac OS X 'Leopard'-related Discussion

Macenstein publishes a screenshot from the latest build of Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.2 that reveals that Apple has included a List-View into Stacks. Stacks is a file organization feature introduced in Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard).

stackslistview1_300.jpg

Users are also given the option of displaying a traditional Folder icon instead of the "stack" of icons in the Dock. These changes address a number of criticisms about Apple's initial Stacks implementation:

There's just not enough room in a single Dock tile for a stack of icons to convey any meaningful information. Only the top one, two, maybe three items have any visual impact. And those few items may be misleading (e.g., the home folder appearing to be the Desktop folder) or completely generic (e.g., the Pictures and Movies folders showing up as plain folder icons.) Seriously, Apple, this is a bad idea.

Mac OS X 10.5.2 was seeded to developers on Tuesday night. It is not yet available to the general public.

Here is an example of my super clean volume with 0% fragmentation thus super fast system performance.

So the difference in file-system fragmentation between your system (clean install+extra user maintenance?) and mine (upgrade install and software updates but otherwise neglected) is barely measurable (about than 0.1%). I figure a reasonable explanation is because Mac OS X takes care of fragmentation clean-up automatically for nearly every file on an HFS+ volume (99.9%),

We've come full circle now:

• You have "super fast system performance" and so do I (or at least I haven't noticed a slow down).
  • Your computer appears to have very little file fragmentation: neither does mine

If you're going to stick to the line of reasoning that Upgrades = Fragmented = Slow then I'd like you to show

• How significantly (if at all) does upgrading from mac OS X 10.4 to 10.5 increase file system fragmentation?
    Bonus points for explaining why. It's possible that whatever fragmentation is on my drive is a result of typically use -- the sort of thing you'd get on any system after a few hours of trying to pay the bills. If that is the case then file fragmentation caused by upgrade or clean install has no impact on performance.
  • What impact does file system fragmentation cause by upgrading mac OS have on application performance?
    If any fragmentation occurs in large files (ie: the mac OS X opening video & text-to-speech language dictionaries) and those files are infrequently used: would anybody notice? The files would have to be frequently read and rarely cached which just doesn't seem like good application or OS design.

It's possible that upgraded systems are measurably slower than clean installs strictly because people performed an upgrade but I'm not willing to accept the file system fragmentation argument without some evidence.

just updated to leopard, clean install, didnt have the money to buy leopard, so i demanded it for christmas. :)

here we go, runs like a champ, after indexing and tranferring everything backed up from my external its a joy, i must say.

i converted to the 2d dock though, the 3d dock does look good imho but im a fan of maximizing windows so it didnt work out for me. :)

hehe leopard is cool. :)

+gets beck on sorting things out+

humm... im a little disappointed by now, although i know that noone is interested in my stories im gonna post it anyways, i just had my second kernel panic in three days... i didnt have one in more than one year of tiger on my macbook.

thats a little scary, since it looks like a cpu-fault which means its not leopards fault but still i didnt have had any panics since i own my macbook...

if its a cpu-problem or a logicboard malfunction im pretty screwd since just a few days ago my warrenty ended and i saved the money for apple care for extra ram...

one might say "tough luck" but then again.. i would be very, very mad at apple, to calm down a little, since a computer is not supposed to be f*cked after one year of moderate usage.

however, i will see if with .5.2 everythings more stable...

Is DiskWarrior Ver 4 safe to use with 10.5, was going to boot off the CD,, only other option would be Onyx, iv used both when i had 10.4, but havent read to much into either beign 10.5 safe

recomendations ?