Sony Affirms PS3 Shipment Targets

Attempting to soothe concerned consumers over a lack of PlayStation 3 shipments in the market, Sony reaffirmed its target to sell six million consoles by the end of March. Company executives said bringing manufacturing costs down and ensuring a solid line of games is also a high priority. The launch of the PS3 has been a rocky one for Sony: delays in components and last minute troubles conspired to delay the console by over a half a year. Executives are still not disclosing how well they expect to do during the holiday season, although analysts have said that it expects the company to sell between 500,000 and 750,000 consoles. This is less than half of the two million consoles the Japanese electronics maker originally projected to have available.

source.pngBetaNews

I don't think they will have problem selling 6 million consoles but the thing is if they really can ship those 6 million consoles.

I'll eat my shoe if Sony can ship 6 million by then. Considering they'd have to manufacture units at a faster than planned rate now that they've lost a significant amount of time by not being able to hit 2 million this year.

I'll eat my shoe if Sony can ship 6 million by then. Considering they'd have to manufacture units at a faster than planned rate now that they've lost a significant amount of time by not being able to hit 2 million this year.

haha, well....if they do manage 6 mill by the end of march will you please film yourself eating a shoe, i would almost love it as much as sony fulfilling a claim for once. :D

i really doubt 6 million by march thats like selling just over a million consoles a month ... sony are like missing out on shipment targets by miles, and it is highly unlikely they will hit 2million at the end of the year, i say 1-1.5mil tops. On that note i dont think the 360 will sell reach 10mill either (but its more realistic that sonys target, so theres a better chance) Sony would have to like produce 6million to sell 6 million, then produce a few more to sell to Europe. Highly doubt the 6 million mark untill after they hit europe.

For all the doubters out there and based upon the demand for this unit.. I'm sure Sony will have absolutely NO problem selling 6 million through March.

If they manage to ship that many its a good possibility :yes:

I just hope its not going to be really hard to find a system in Europe during March/April :shiftyninja:

For all the doubters out there and based upon the demand for this unit.. I'm sure Sony will have absolutely NO problem selling 6 million through March.

if the can ship 6 million then the actually might sell 6million, but that might mean not much stock for europe. Which could result in another delay.

I don't see where the units are, my local Future Shop received less than 10 units this week.

Sony won't have a problem selling 6 million, it's just a matter of getting enough units on the shelves. Most people I know don't even bother going to ask for the PS3 because they know it won't be in stock.

Are Sony on CooCoo land or something? No way will that even sell 6 millions. They have such an unrealistic target much about everything they say.

haha, well....if they do manage 6 mill by the end of march will you please film yourself eating a shoe, i would almost love it as much as sony fulfilling a claim for once. :D

heck, if sony could fulfill one claim, and the ridiculous 6million target is met (which it will NOT be), i'll drive the 2hr it takes to get to the STL and i'll eat my shoe on film with him as well.

but it just isn't gonna happen

What is the difference in Affirm and Confirm?

Affirming is re-stating something they have already said.

Confirming is verifying a statement as true, whether or not they made the original statement.

Not sure if that's perfect but that's how I see it lol.

Are Sony on CooCoo land or something? No way will that even sell 6 millions. They have such an unrealistic target much about everything they say.

They'll have no problem selling 6 million systems, IF they can ship them. Sales aren't the issue right now (although supply issues do seem to be wearing on the public, I hear a lot of complaining at work now from customers)

I think once the enthusiasts buy the PS3 it's going to have a tough time because the console is so overly priced. Once Blu-ray loses, they're ****ed.

Sony is not capable of shipping and selling 6 million units by march. Its not going to happen unless Sony has a stockpile of over 1.5 million units that they've been sitting on and are ready to ship them out NOW...which they aren't

What you all fail to realize is Sony is already hurting. Their prized PS3 which was supposed to have analysts drooling and stocks rising has turned into a Trojan horse and instead is hurting Sony's bottom line...in fact to say its "hurting it" is putting it mildly. Now here is where the lying comes in...

If Sony comes out and admits they will miss all of their targets their stock will IMMEDIATELY drop. Analysts themselves "suspect" Sony will most likely not meet there goals, however "suspecting" is not damaging enough to greatly hurt the stock price.

Now if Sony came out right now and said "We are sorry but we just can't meet our target goals" sony's stock would take a hit. By lying about being able to make their targets they can keep this from happening for the time being and then hope something else works out in their favor.

It's the same reason why companies will say "oh no we are doing fine" and then you come back the next day to find the place out of business. It's all about preserving your current market portfolio and no sony investor wants the stock to take a hit right before the new year.