New Features for the PS3.

On the same day as playstation 3?s euro launch SCE are to distribute there march firmware update with features including:

multi-tasking (included will be audio/video conferencing while browsing the xmb and its features/ gameplay).

new xmb display options

new animations for audio playback.

new photo album options.

playstation store auto ressume

psp remote play advanced access option (so that you can have access to your ps3?s content anywhere that has a internet connection)

They have no great qualms with the info aside from the following point - the Tivo functionality in Q3 2007. Seems it?s certainly technically possible to do that with PS3, but they?re not making any guarantees about if or when they?d add that functionality.
Also it is hoped that the same week as the euopean launch of the system will also see the worldwide launch of the ps3?s HDip Camera (specifications to be announced at a later date)
service to reserve your playstation online id will be up and running this weekend or next.

I wonder how much all these services are going to cost a month.

Not trying to flame but a lot of those features sound to me that they would be payed services. If Sony was smart they would offer it as a payed service to gain back some of the lost revenue per machine that they are losing out on.

These actually sound like useful features. Hopefully they'll come to fruition. I'd hate for these to be more of Sony's empty promises.

They have no great qualms with the info aside from the following point - the Tivo functionality in Q3 2007. Seems it?s certainly technically possible to do that with PS3, but they?re not making any guarantees about if or when they?d add that functionality.

How can it have "TiVo functionality?"

The PS3 doesn't have video input, right?

How can it have "TiVo functionality?"

The PS3 doesn't have video input, right?

No, no it doesn't

For this to be true I'm guess sony would have to sell a USB/Wifi external cable/rca/hdmi input box. But who knows it all sound too good to be true for me.

This all sounds plausible except for the TiVo functionality, so it makes me wonder what else is possibly just an unfounded rumour.

Unless Sony plans to flog some additional accessory just so you can plug your TV back into your PS3, which still doesn't make a lot of sense.

Lets face it, the only way THAT'S going to work is if you have a separate set-top-box (either cable, satellite etc. to output the Video) and if that's the case, then the PS3 is only going to be able to record one channel at a time, which is a bit crap in a lot of cases. That kind of functionality should remain on the set-top box.

What's coming to the 360 in the spring?

All I know is Halo 3. Halo 2 wasn't that great, mayb 3 will be a hit.

I was actually referring to the console features/firmware, not games (since that's what this thread is about).

I was actually referring to the console features/firmware, not games (since that's what this thread is about).

what features u talkin bout? i haven't heard anything on a new spring ('07) update.. didn't find anything regarding it via search either

I know that, but i'm saying Halo 3 is the only thing that comes to my mind from what i've heard.

So what new features are coming to the 360 in the spring? Is there a site telling the info?

I searched using google and nothing came up but the old spring update (06) where it included background downloading.

Hahaha, I find it funny that this thread went something like this...

<PS3 big firmware update news>

*crowd goes wild*

<someone remarks that the PS3 is back in the race>

*Brandom mentions (yet says very little about) an update for the 360*

*crowd goes wild*

<topic goes completely off topic to discuss 360 update, with people forgetting all about the PS3>

Brandon, you're just evil =P

I've searched Joystiq, 1Up, and Xbox's site, no word of such an update for the 360 in the spring.

I'll believe it when I see a source.

As for the Tivo feature in the ps3, its good however it does mention on the source i've read that you'll need an accessory. If its under 40 bux not bad. PVR's cost over $400 where I live, so for $40 more to add to the ps3 its worth it for me.

I've searched Joystiq, 1Up, and Xbox's site, no word of such an update for the 360 in the spring.

I'll believe it when I see a source.

Uhh, of course there's going to be a Spring update. That's MS's 6 month schedule for releasing major updates.

-Spenser

Uhh, of course there's going to be a Spring update. That's MS's 6 month schedule for releasing major updates.

-Spenser

I'm sure there will be but Brandon said he likes the 360 Spring update more so than the ps3's, however the spring 07 update list for 360 hasn't even been announced :wacko: Why would he bring it up.. lol

Btw, there's a new demo coming for ps3 on xmas.... :)

I'm sure there will be but Brandon said he likes the 360 Spring update more so than the ps3's, however the spring 07 update list for 360 hasn't even been announced :wacko: Why would he bring it up.. lol

Cause I'm a total tease :p

Source?

If this is true, I hope they get back on track again.

Thanks. :)

Yeah, obviously you don't.

Of course everything I say here you guys take it like if it was some kind of bash. Well, get over it, I said the PS3 was back on track as a good thing. So shoosh.

But you said it like the new features were bad and hoped they would remove them to get back on track..

Mustve misinterpreted you