Sony to Offer Movie Downloads

Sources close to Sony say that the company will soon enter the increasingly crowded digital movie download market, competing with companies such as Apple Computer and Microsoft. And as with Microsoft's Xbox Live service, Sony's offering will be made available for a video game console, in this case the PlayStation 3.

According to reports, the Sony digital movie service has been in the works for about a year and a half and will go public in early 2007. It will include movies from Sony Pictures and will eventually also include content from other studios. In addition, the service will enable PlayStation 3 users to synchronize the movie downloads with the PlayStation Portable (PSP).

Sony hopes the new service will help the PlayStation 3 better compete with the Xbox 360, which began offering TV and movie downloads in November. The biggest share of the digital movie download market belongs to Apple, which provides TV, video, and movie downloads via the iTunes Store. Currently, Apple offers movies from only Disney, but other studios are expected to get on board in early 2007.

In somewhat related news, Nintendo announced this week that it will replace 3.2 million straps used with the new motion-sensitive hand controller it bundles with its Wii video game console. The straps are notorious for breaking, and customers have reported numerous incidents in which the controller has flown loose and struck people and objects.

Source

If Sony services is on par or better than MS's offerings then they may have a better chance in competing with the 360. However, their online service compared to the 360 is no where near what Kutagiri proclaimed them to be.

Interesting to see if they have PSP interop before Microsoft has Zune interop. I'd guess not, since they don't have anything at all yet. But I guess we'll see.

Interesting to see if they have PSP interop before Microsoft has Zune interop. I'd guess not, since they don't have anything at all yet. But I guess we'll see.

interop?

I think anyone with common sense would of seen this coming since Sony own a movie studio.

^^

^^ Its in the article.

Yeah but it doesn't say if that will be there from the beginning. And since it only speculates "early 2007" it's still uncertain if they'll have it before Xbox+Zune does.

This might not be very functional. A high definition movie (1080p) is over 10Gb I believe. This will take a very long time to download and considering the fact that the PS3's hard drive is only 60Gb, isn't too practical. Now, if the movies are well compressed down to about 4-5Gb, It'd make more sense. Hehe, the almighty Cell should be able to decode these movies on the fly even under heavy compression right? :p

This might not be very functional. A high definition movie (1080p) is over 10Gb I believe. This will take a very long time to download and considering the fact that the PS3's hard drive is only 60Gb, isn't too practical. Now, if the movies are well compressed down to about 4-5Gb, It'd make more sense. Hehe, the almighty Cell should be able to decode these movies on the fly even under heavy compression right? :p

That's why the Xbox Marketplace does movies in 720p. :p You can rent a movie and watch it and then delete it after. Kinda neat, and makes the small space of the 360's hard drive practical.