God or god -> do you capitalize God/god?

Do you capitalize God/god?  

212 members have voted

1. 1. Do you capitalize God/god?

• God - I do it religiously
    • God - I do it because it accepted, but dont belive in God
    • god

I dont see how that betrays your beliefs if you havent got any. Your an atheist, so why would it matter how you write it. And the reason its with a capital, is because its not just a word, he is the one and only and thats what God is called by.

There are plenty of gods though each as imaginary as the next.

If you're using it as a name then yes, it gets captialized just the same as any name. If you're not then you don't. This is a entirely silly debate. Its a simple gramatical issue.

And God said, blah blah blah...

The Christain god, supposivly said blah blah blah

I really do not understand how this is insulting. How you write the word "GOD" has no bearing on what you believe. If someone else thinks it does, well... then that's their problem.

You look foolish if you can't use proper English.

I find this offensive.

"God" refers to what Christians believe is the divine creator.  I am not Christian but still write "God" as it is the name of a being.

"god" refers to a type of being, a powerful deity but not by name.

Were I writing an essay I would capitalise it, even though in general typing I don't. Much the same as I'd do for Santa or any other made up individual, if you'd capitalise Spiderman or Superman then it's only fair to extend it to the other fictional characters :

• Like 2

I wouldn't capitalise the word when referring to a god, but if something is named God then it gets capitalised. Ultimately though I get around the whole problem by changing the sentence so that I refer to a person's god, rather than specifying a god.

When you talk about "God" like "God moves in mysterious ways," it's a proper name and should be capitalized just as you would a person's name. When you're talking about "god" indirectly like "Zeus is a god," then it's a noun and shouldn't be capitalized. It has nothing to do with religious beliefs.

• Like 3

Out of respect to other religions I capitalize all the gods names, the same way God is capitalized and considered a name

Has nothing to do with beliefs or the lack of on as per your choice, I also capitalize Atheist and Agnostic, most of the times, just trying to be a good Christian and be inclusive and respectful

depeneds... usually when I say God it's part of goddamn, which I don't upper case.  If referring to the magical dude in the sky then it's a name and should be capitalized. 

Lots of imaginary things and people also use a capital, it don't matter if it's real or not. For instance, Batman isn't real but you still use a capital. "God" falls in to the same category. But i usually just write "god" anyway to annoy religious nuts.

If I start a sentence with god I'll capitalise it. Otherwise, just to insult the all powerful fella, I'll use lowercase.  :laugh:

It's amusing how upset some people get when you don't capitalise god, and it isn't for grammatical reasons.

also capitalize Atheist and Agnostic

I don't think you need to do that.