Are Celeron laptops really that bad?

Is the Celeron processor still bad? Have they improved? I'm just wondering, I was in the market for a laptop and I don't think I'm getting a Celeron, but I'm still wondering, are they that bad?

Celeron based on the Pentium 4 core is yes, the Celeron M based on the Pentium M core isnt so bad.

The Celeron M is basically a Pentium M core with disabled cache. Some Celeron Ms are rebadged Pentium Ms.

The Celeron M is basically a Pentium M core with disabled cache. Some Celeron Ms are rebadged Pentium Ms.

That's only half of it. A big feature that's missing is SpeedStep, so Celeron Ms are always running at full speed and voltage.

As always I think it depends on what you're using it for. Celeron's are perfect for non demanding porgrams but i wouldn't buy one if I wanted to do graphic intensive work or to play games on.

I recently bought an Acer laptop with celeron processor works fine for me.

Not good for gaming, but for normalbrowesiong the net and using office it runs smooth.I also run MSn messnger and watch a few dvds, so far so good.

I heard they have same a pentium M like others mentioned but instead of 2mb l2 cache they have 1mb, which is still pretty godo paired with ddr2 its all good.

It depends on what you use it for, I used to have an Acer laptop with a Celeron processor and for normal use (surfing the net, word processing etc) it worked fine. It's when you start using processor intensive software (games for example) that you notice how underpowered the processor is.

If your buying a "Centrino" laptop, then you will get one of 3 processors; Core Solo, Core Duo or Core 2 Duo. However, the Celeron, Pentium M and Pentium 4 mobile processors are still around in non-Centrino laptops and probably won't be for a few years before they are phased out completely. That is what I think, correct me if I'm wrong.

When Intel brought out the "Pentium Ds" they upgraded the pentium 4s and rebranded the old ones as celeron, and stopped making the old celerons. Therefore the enw Celerons are actually old Pentum 4s

Celerons may not be the fastest around (or may not have ever been) but they are of fair quality. Even the P4 core based Celerons paired with a fair amount of RAM and a good GPU will perform fairly for gaming. My brother's got a Celeron M and his easily keeps up with my tower despite being clocked almost half as fast.

But, I'm talking about WoW, which tends to not be very processor centric. So it's probably a biased result.

What I mean to say, anyway, is that it's not so bad. You could do worse.

When it comes to getting a computer on a budget, Celerons are a good choice. The same goes for AMD Seperons. Of course, you sacrifice performance with such a choice. If you are sure you want to focus on getting a cheep laptop for mobility, get a Celeron/Seperon. Otherwise, avoid those processors.

When Intel brought out the "Pentium Ds" they upgraded the pentium 4s and rebranded the old ones as celeron, and stopped making the old celerons. Therefore the enw Celerons are actually old Pentum 4s

So what I am looking for to get an old Penitum 4? What name to I look at? This is some decent information, I liked the old P4 chips even thought hey were battery hogs.

A Pentium 4 is a Pentium 4. Northwood, Prescott, etc, all Pentium 4s.

Pentium D are 'basically' two Pentium 4 Prescott's duct taped together. That's a dual core from Intel for you (First generation).

Core Solos are based off the Core architecture, unlike what I previously mentioned which are based off the Netburst architecture. It resembles more of the Pentium M than the Pentium 4.

i heard that they have lower "L" caches or something like that which made them rubbish for gaming, if your going to be using them for word proccessing or web browsing then there okay

Probably not, but everyone on this site is going to say "just get a core 2 duo" or a core something. You know, kinda like whats in every single thread.

I have a core 2 dou btw

i heard that they have lower "L" caches or something like that which made them rubbish for gaming, if your going to be using them for word proccessing or web browsing then there okay

It's preferable to have a good amount of L1 cache because it is faster than L2 and L3 cache, but L2 and L3 cache are still great to have and have a positive effect on gaming. Case in point, the Pentium 4 Extreme Edition, which features more cache than the regular Pentium 4's.

Celerons are OK.

Ignore the noobs that come here, they are nothing but spoiled brats screaming INTEL CORE 2 DOU in every thread.

If I see any of these people in real life I'd give them an ass whooping and steal their money. :)

Celerons are OK.

Ignore the noobs that come here, they are nothing but spoiled brats screaming INTEL CORE 2 DOU in every thread.

If I see any of these people in real life I'd give them an ass whooping and steal their money. :)

I don't even plan on gaming. I'm a console gamer, I have desktops for gaming also so thats not even in the plan.

I may run Adobe Audition to do some basic recording, but I have that running on P2 boxes so it's all good.

I'm going ot max out the RAM on the system though.

Celerons are OK.

Whos screaming intel core 2 duo? NO ONE...

get the facts straighten ut first before making a comment

one of my housemates has 1.6ghz celeron M laptop with 512mb ram and it seems fairly responsive.

Mind you i think they only really use it for surfing the net playing music and chatting to people over instant messenger and ive only used it when i was setting it up for them with secuirty software and getting it to connect to the wireless lan.etc but ive never heard them compain about the speed so i guess it must be good enough for what they use it for :yes:

I've seen a Celeron M run Vista Ultimate just fine without Aero mind you, so i guess they are not all THAT bad

Ive also seen a celeron M run Vista without aero.

And i think the lack of areo was more to do with the Sis graphics chip than the proccessors capablities ;)