Time says PS3 was a bust

PlayStation 3 one of five things magazine says "went from buzz to bust"; calls console "hideously expensive," launch titles "lame."

By Staff, GameSpot

Posted Dec 20, 2006 1:07 am GMT

When the New York Times said the PlayStation 3 "just isn't that great" in November, many Sony fans were up in arms. However, those words were relatively kind compared to what Time had to say. In naming its "5 Things That Went From Buzz to Bust" for 2006, the magazine put the PS3 right up there with Snakes on a Plane, O.J. Simpson's If I Did It book proposal, and Bode Miller's goose egg at the Winter Olympics. The piece begins harshly ("The big story in computer games this year was HOW TO BLOW A HUGE LEAD, by Sony." (capitals in original)), continues brutally ("The PS3 is hideously expensive," "the launch titles were lame"), and ends with a schoolyard insult ("You know you're in trouble when you get beat by something called a Wii"). Time's disdain for the PS3 isn't unprecedented. For the console's launch, the magazine also ran an article titled "Sony's PlayStation 3 Is Not Worth the Hype."

Linky: Gamespot

Did Microsoft get press this bad for the MS Xbox360? I'm pretty sure they didn't.

Well of course not. The XBOX360 is an example of how to make and sell a GOOD gaming/media console...

Sony = pwnd

Microsoft = 2nd prize

Nintendo ftw!

Did Microsoft get press this bad for the MS Xbox360? I'm pretty sure they didn't.

I think the "Overheating" and "Ring of Death" press was quite bad, but it was based upon a small percentage of units. This is more related to the overall strategy. This is bad!

Just got the Ring o Death this morning, and im already considering the PS3. So what it it is expensive, i've got the money. The launch titles were lame? It's not going to be released here in Europa for another couple months.

And im not gonna get a console with SD graphics and wierd controls, no matter how good it is.

Just got the Ring o Death this morning, and im already considering the PS3. So what it it is expensive, i've got the money. The launch titles were lame? It's not going to be released here in Europa for another couple months.

And im not gonna get a console with SD graphics and wierd controls, no matter how good it is.

Isn't it still covered by the Warranty? And why replace a broken console with a console which is more expensive and in bad shape at the moment?

Only thing MS did was not make enough at launch. Other then that the Red Ring of Death is about the only problem, which is in a rare percentage of units and is more then likely dwindling as the Xbox 360 is being improved.

No matter how good it is? so you only care about graphics and not gameplay? why dont u just go watch a movie?

Isn't it still covered by the Warranty? And why replace a broken console with a console which is more expensive and in bad shape at the moment?

It is covered, but the fact that it breaks not even 3 months after purchase and after moderate use is unacceptible.

PS3 is much more exiting to me, too bad about the bad framerate in some games. I read that the 360 performance is superior to the PS3 some time ago, not sure i believe it.

No matter how good it is? so you only care about graphics and not gameplay? why dont u just go watch a movie?

Not at all, but i value good graphics equal to good gameplay. Of course you can have one without the other, but i'd rather have both.

In the end the games is what matters, and Wii's games doesn't compare to 360 and PS3. Not a big fan of the new Zelda & Super Mario. I'd rather play them on snes/nes.

Edited by Crenshaw

It is covered, but the fact that it breaks not even 3 months after purchase and after moderate use is unacceptible.

PS3 is much more exiting to me, too bad about the bad framerate in some games. I read that the 360 performance is superior to the PS3 some time ago, not sure i believe it.

Not at all, but i value good graphics equal to good gameplay. Of course you can have one without the other, but i'd rather have both.

In the end the games is what matters, and Wii's games doesn't compare to 360 and PS3. Not a big fan of the new Zelda & Super Mario. I'd rather play them on snes/nes.

Not a fan, eh? Have you played it?

You can't claim to have played Super Mario on the Wii, as it's not out yet.

Not a fan, eh? Have you played it?

You can't claim to have played Super Mario on the Wii, as it's not out yet.

No, not a fan, and yes, i have played it. I thought that was obvious. Just as obvious that i haven't played Super Mario that hasn't been released yet on the Wii.

bicker bicker bicker. it's too early to tell about the PS3, and if you look back a year it was the same stories more or less about the 360.

and to Crenshaw i say give her another chance, you can't overreact like that over one error. things break. mine's acting up as well, i still love heer.

bicker bicker bicker. it's too early to tell about the PS3, and if you look back a year it was the same stories more or less about the 360.

and to Crenshaw i say give her another chance, you can't overreact like that over one error. things break. mine's acting up as well, i still love heer.

And the xbox 360's launch was so much better right. :rolleyes:

Better games, new features and bug fixes will be coming and the price is something we've known about for awhile now. GJ Times for being Captain Obvious.

The only reason the PS3 is getting so much negative attention is because it was given too much hype to begin with and when that happens the result rarely lives up to people's expectations.

I'd more or less agree with the article, because I am going to get a Wii as soon as I can afford one and I want to buy an X360 for a few games that I've seen on it, but there is nothing about the PS3 that interests me other than the fact that at this point it is the cheapest way that I'm aware of to get a blue-ray player.....

(robot slang) WE SOUTH-EAST-ASIANS ONLY PLAY PLAYSTATION CONSOLES. OTHER TYPES R NOT POPULAR. WE DON'T MIND THE HEFTY PRICE TAG N BAD PRESS AS LONG AS WE CAN HAVE ONE AT HOME. BUZZ BUZZ BUZZ BEE BEE BOOP BEE BOOP

I love the fact the sony fanboys bring up the whole ring o death and overheating crap...

What about the PS2's disc-read error? (lets not forget sony hifi system CD players suffer the same fate, too...)

And the new pricing strategy which means not only can you not lend out games, but if your console breaks (which lets face it, being a sony, it will) you'll have to buy it again.

Nice.

However, I still sit on the side of the fence, as I realise each platform has had its failiures, as mentioned above, and...

My xbox? No problems. Slim PS2 hasn't had any issues either.

Wow I find this kind of funny actually. I mean when the xbox 360 came out, it was pretty amazing and cheap, but when all the issues came out about it crashing and overheating people were blaming microsoft for rushing the system, and then news of the PS3 specs came out and it was like wow, but this was before the price was released. Now the PS3 is out and everything has seemed to turn around.

wait.. time magazine... which has an affiliation with MSNBC... which has an affiliation with microsoft... not saying thats whats going on but its interesting

Time has affiliation with EVERYONE. Including your mom, jk ;)