PC World Calls PS3 a mistake

It doesnt matter what they announced! What they lied about! What they didnt keep!

Its still more compatible with games from the previous console than x360

jesus :cry:

(pejorative definition) Ignorance 2) is the choice to not act or behave in accordance with regard to certain information in order to suit ones own needs/beliefs."I know better but I choose to ignore that and do/say/act in a way that behooves me."
Source

No, the point is that Microsoft delivered on the goods they announced in terms of backwards compatibility and then some, Sony underdelivered on the goods they announced.

But lads, at the end of the day, the Wii owns both of them in terms of backwards compatibility. kthx :D

It doesnt matter what they announced! What they lied about! What they didnt keep!

The point here isn't so much the percentage of compatibility, but rather the fact that Sony failed to deliver on many promises, this being one of them. When you talk your product up as much as Sony did, you'd better bring it when the time comes. Sony didn't bring it. Forget about the comparison with MS.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone found GC games that don't work on the Wii yet, or was Nintendo able to deliver on this promise?

Christ... how old are you?

The point here isn't so much the percentage of compatibility, but rather the fact that Sony failed to deliver on many promises, this being one of them. When you talk your product up as much as Sony did, you'd better bring it when the time comes. Sony didn't bring it. Forget about the comparison with MS.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone found GC games that don't work on the Wii yet, or was Nintendo able to deliver on this promise?

As far as I know, they delivered. You can always trust Nintendo to deliver.

No, no, no... you're not getting it. Bonus or not - It is still compatible with a larger percent than x360.

That is correct, in that respect Sony still outdid MS there. However, I don't think that is the point people are trying to put across, Sony bragged about how the PS3 would be 100% backwards compatible because it contained the GS + EE (i.e. the PS2) which was (suppose to) allow it to run any PS2/PS1 game and pointed figures at MS because they had to emulate the Xbox on the 360 to enable backwards compatibility.

Anyway all this negative PS3 stuff really is getting out of hand, I finally got to see the PS3 today and play around with it for a little bit. I have to say it is damn nice and wouldn't mind owning it if it wasn't for the exuberant price tag. My only problem is with Sony themselves, the PS3 is great, but Sony are so damn arrogant and full of it that it is annoying the hell out of people, sure there is nothing wrong with bragging your console is better then the competition but Sony go overboard and take it too far, I could go on all day about how annoyed I'm with Sony but I won't bore everyone with it :p I'll leave it there. That is my 5cents.

Nintendo to Sony: Don't wound what you can't kill.....

Wound lol if Sony wanted to they could put Nintendo in the Hospital for a few years by paying off TV Tokyo to axe their shows then pay off store owners in Akihabara to stop selling Nintendo branded stuff virtually kicking them out of Japan

A few months ago my friends and I were worried that Nintendo was stabbing itself by coming up with a ludicrous controller...

Fast forward a few months and I am sure all the Nintendo executives are giggling like little girls in their suites. :p

I just hope Sony doesn't die... It has taken way way way too many stabs in recent years.

My advice: Cut down on the arrogance and try to re-earn our trust.

No, no, no... you're not getting it. Bonus or not - It is still compatible with a larger percent than x360.

mm, sounds like someone's ignorant and is ashamed to admit his PS3 is not what it was promised to be, and that lowly old 360 is cheaper, better, and all around a better console.

get it through your head: 360 was to never play xbox games. microsoft is talented at software such that it could write compatibility layers for it using no xbox1 parts.. and firstly sony screwed up promising full backwards compatibility when thats not the case, they look like trash, and thats using hardware from the PS2.. but it kinda goes along the lines of the whole online thing.. microsoft is software.. they can write such an amazing piece such as Live.. and sony cant even begin to fathom how to do software as such.

I stopped reading PCWorld long time ago.

Over the years I have seen a lot of biased reporting in both Ziff Davis & IDG websites.

I have sent several emails to Zeff Davis' magazine editors/reporters pointing out their incorrect reports but they never correct it or acknowledge their mistake. :pinch:

No matter how you look at it, PS3 won't do as well as PS2.

That, my friends, is a failure :no:

Not really. PS2 was one of the most successful systems of all time. Kind of hard to stay on top.

Wii won't do as well as the NES or the Super Nintendo. So it must be a failure then??? MS could go and screw up their next XBox just as easily as Sony screwed this one up. They did screw up Windows 98 by creating the worst operating system of all time, WindowME. :x

As far as I know, they delivered. You can always trust Nintendo to deliver.

See Nintendo 64 and Gamecube, Virtualboy. Hardly delivered on the success of the NES and SuperNintendo. Not to mention the worst controller of all time, the Powerglove.

News flash to readers on the console forums. No company is perfect, no console is perfect.

I love it when people point at me and say im the worst Sony fanboy when the only next-gen console I own is the MICROSOFT XBOX 360.

I love my x360 _very_ much and play it _ALOT_ (and Im _very_ happy and satisfied and thrilled when playing it) and wouldnt trade it for anything.

BUT THAT DOESNT CHANGE THE FACT THAT THERE ARE MORE GAMES COMPATIBLE WITH THE PS3

You keep getting dissapointed everytime - It seems you guys havent learned anything from Sony the past few years - they dont always keep what they say

SURPRISE!!! :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

I love it when people point at me and say im the worst Sony fanboy when the only next-gen console I own is the MICROSOFT XBOX 360.

I love my x360 _very_ much and play it _ALOT_ (and Im _very_ happy and satisfied and thrilled when playing it) and wouldnt trade it for anything.

BUT THAT DOESNT CHANGE THE FACT THAT THERE ARE MORE GAMES COMPATIBLE WITH THE PS3

You keep getting dissapointed everytime - It seems you guys havent learned anything from Sony the past few years - they dont always keep what they say

SURPRISE!!! :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Yet.. But yet... Microsoft, never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever promise 100% compatibility, it was added at the last minute. So shhhhh! Anyways, go read my other thread about Sony and the third PS3 being promised! It's a funny read :D

Yet.. But yet... Microsoft, never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever promise 100% compatibility, it was added at the last minute. So shhhhh! Anyways, go read my other thread about Sony and the third PS3 being promised! It's a funny read :D

Yes, Im aware that Sony cant keep their mouth shut and dont speak internally with their technicians.

1. backwards compatibility doesn't matter, and it doesn't sell consoles.

2. I highly doubt sony actually said 100%BC since some older games don't run on newer PS2's, and some PS1 games don't run on the PS2. 100% is impossible, unless you have the entire, physical PS1 and PS2 inside the PS3

3. hundreds of millions of people already own a PS2, if you all care so much about BC, go buy one off eBay or a buddy for $50.

2. I highly doubt sony actually said 100%BC since some older games don't run on newer PS2's, and some PS1 games don't run on the PS2. 100% is impossible, unless you have the entire, physical PS1 and PS2 inside the PS3

3. hundreds of millions of people already own a PS2, if you all care so much about BC, go buy one off eBay or a buddy for $50.

Sony did promise 100% compatibility. I'm sure their are plenty of sources, but it was clear what was said.

Alright, where do I begin? Sony has irritated me to the most extreme. Not to repeat everyone?s post; let?s just say I completely agree. Furthermore, I recently went to my local Circuit City. I was interested in buying a new receiver for my home. Anyway, usually I would pick a decent mid-range receiver.. a.k.a (Sony) Well, to finish up: I actually settled with an open box Sony receiver (100$ off of ticket), but I actually had to think.. Do I want to support this COMPLETELY ANNOYING company. Basically my point is: Ever since this "Console/DRM/Complete Control" debacle, their ease of lying and smiling about it is bleeding into other areas of Sony?s market. So, unless I keep getting awesome open box prices on their equipment or see a complete turn-around; I don't plan on purchasing anything else. Sony is really showing their true colors here and it?s enraging the consumer, hopefully to the point where people boy-cot.

Again, now that Sony is having trouble with 100% BC, now it's no big deal... :rolleyes:

It does sell hardware if people have a large library of pre-generation games they can immediately play on their new hardware.

If you're going to "doubt" things, try to look them up first:

15 March 2006: At the Sony Business Briefing, Ken Kutaragi confirmed that not only will the PlayStation 3 be backwards compatible with all previous PlayStation games, but that they will be in high definition, similar to what Microsoft's 360 is offering with their backwards compatibility, bringing new life to older games.
Source

Sony did promise 100% compatibility. I'm sure their are plenty of sources, but it was clear what was said.

Remember NeoFlux - Dont throw stones if you live in glasshouse......or whatever they say..

Remember to BACKUP YOUR POSTS WITH FACTS AND SOURCES

Isnt that what you usually tell me?

Remember NeoFlux - Dont throw stones if you live in glasshouse......or whatever they say..

Remember to BACKUP YOUR POSTS WITH FACTS AND SOURCES

Isnt that what you usually tell me?

:whistle: *cough* 2postsup *coug*

Backwards Compatibility

Play thousands of PS one? and PlayStation?2 games as well as your CDs and DVDs on the PLAYSTATION?3.

NOTE

Some PlayStation 2 or PlayStation format software titles may perform differently on this system than they do on PlayStation 2 or PlayStation systems, or may not perform properly on this system. PS3 does not support a vibration controller.

From http://www.us.playstation.com/PS3/About

I really don't care if you can site passages where someone at sony tried to upsell you on a product that wasn't released yet. If you want to buy a product, go to it's website and look up what it can do, don't just go "well I remeber someone somewhere said it can be used as a grill and can talk to aliens in outer space, so I'll go buy one"...Use REAL facts, from the manufacturer to base your decisions on.

If you went out and bought a PS3 to play ridge racer one on, and find it looks bad while playing, because the game came out 12 years ago, then you're nothing more than an idiot and no one with an iota of intellect will pity you. If you want to play PS1 games, get a PS1.

To be honest, all this talk of backwards compatibility, I love the fact that no one's even questioned if Nintendo would pull it off, and they're not emulating 1 or 2 systems, but 5 (kind of 6 including the gamecube) and it works perfectly so far (although I should point out we've only seen a few games so far), but when the graphical gliches are still there in Sonic, you know they've done a good job.