Well Done Sony! {/sarcasm}

this is mental, i thought the PS franchise was like to play games, not to go all out and do everything under the sun. PSX/PS1 was good, PS2 better but i think its just gone downhill on this one.

well this blows because the controller he is holding has a wire.

talk about an expensive wire!

I guess wireless is a think of the past.

but hey.

i want to spend $2500 for a new PS3 just so i can sell it on ebay for $20000 from a chum

Why are they even trying? There is NO mass market for something like this, especially at that price tag. Sony's credibility in the gaming world is about to take a nose dive far worse than what we could have imagined.

What they should do is release a Media Center, brand it something else even if it has the innards of a PS3 and center their home media around it.

this is fake
Proof? Engadget is a pretty widely known site and I don't think they would tarnish their reputation on a joke.

this is fake

It could be. The two HDMI comment sounds absolutely ridiculous as as mentioned above it would make no difference. Plus the fact that he'd guarantee this despite incredible PS3 shortages of the moment make it sounds like bunk. Then again, it is ken...

It could be. The two HDMI comment sounds absolutely ridiculous as as mentioned above it would make no difference. Plus the fact that he'd guarantee this despite incredible PS3 shortages of the moment make it sounds like bunk. Then again, it is ken...

To be honest, the original PS3 spec from the Sony E3 2005 Keynote said 2 HDMI connectors, so it's not unthinkable.

As for PS3 shortages, they'll be making money off this one, so simple logic says you'll be able to get one.

To be honest, the original PS3 spec from the Sony E3 2005 Keynote said 2 HDMI connectors, so it's not unthinkable.

As for PS3 shortages, they'll be making money off this one, so simple logic says you'll be able to get one.

Uhh, the shortages and the fact that they aren't making money off of it have absolutely nothing to do with each other. If Sony was making $300 on each PS3 instead of losing that much, they'd still have shortages because they just can't produce the blu-ray diodes (among other things) fast enough.

-Spenser

It had two for different reasons. The article states it would be for better sound/visual delivery by splitting them (despite HDMI accomodating both) whereas the silly E3 spec was for two visual outputs.

Also, though they could make money from this one, the console-model of business still would favour them getting more PS3s out of the door, to gamers who will buy games rather than to prosumers who may use it for other things. Although with sony losing exclusive so fast at the moment, the media centre route may actually make them more.

Something just seems too fishy about this. I mean, Sony made some bad calls on the PS3, but I don't think they'd ignore the existing problem of shortages by looking confident in releasing a machine that costs $2,500. Nah, I'm not buying this story until I see further evidence that Endgadget isn't having a little fun :)

I don't believe this. I want to see if on gamespot first or IGN before I believe it.

:blink: It's Engadget. Engadget has an excellent reputation. Just because it's not a gaming website doesn't mean that they can't be trusted on gaming news.

I don't believe this. I want to see if on gamespot first or IGN before I believe it.

pretty sure you say that about every article that is not by IGN or gamespot.

:laugh: :rofl: :woot:

pretty sure you say that about every article that is not by IGN or gamespot.

:laugh: :rofl: :woot:

For every bad news topic posted about the PS3, a PS3 fanboy cries! :cry:

:rofl:

I really don't get why this is bad news? It is really just a super high-end blu-ray player media center with a ps3 inside. Kind of how the psx was a dvd player media center with a ps2. This doesn't affect the ps3 gaming console anymore than the psx affected the regular ps2. No one is forcing you to buy this version. It's designed for a market different from that of the console itself. The existence of the panasonic q, or whatever they called there version of the gcn, didn't hurt the gcn, so why would this negatively affect the ps3 in any way?

Maybe you will be in the market for a 2000 dollar blu-ray player next year and you also want a ps3. If it performs as well as and has features that match other similarly priced blu-ray players, maybe you would prefer this one. Or if you are in the market for a videogame console or a currently very nice blu-ray player in the sub-1000 market, then the standard ps3 is for you. I don't think anyone would bat an eye if microsoft released a high-end 360 with built-in hd-dvd, hdmi out, a bigger hdd, and more home theater centric features. So why the uproar about this?

I really don't get why this is bad news? It is really just a super high-end blu-ray player media center with a ps3 inside. Kind of how the psx was a dvd player media center with a ps2. This doesn't affect the ps3 gaming console anymore than the psx affected the regular ps2. No one is forcing you to buy this version. It's designed for a market different from that of the console itself. The existence of the panasonic q, or whatever they called there version of the gcn, didn't hurt the gcn, so why would this negatively affect the ps3 in any way?

Maybe you will be in the market for a 2000 dollar blu-ray player next year and you also want a ps3. If it performs as well as and has features that match other similarly priced blu-ray players, maybe you would prefer this one. Or if you are in the market for a videogame console or a currently very nice blu-ray player in the sub-1000 market, then the standard ps3 is for you. I don't think anyone would bat an eye if microsoft released a high-end 360 with built-in hd-dvd, hdmi out, a bigger hdd, and more home theater centric features. So why the uproar about this?

The PS3 was meant to be the Uber Media Hub, this just dances round it.

I don't think anyone would bat an eye if microsoft released a high-end 360 with built-in hd-dvd, hdmi out, a bigger hdd, and more home theater centric features. So why the uproar about this?

I'm pretty sure we would seeing as the console is little over a year old and already in 8 million+ homes..