Sony Confirms PS4

By Cornelius Wilson on 12/04/06 at 8:50 PM

Vice President of Technology for Sony Computer Entertainment Europe, Paul Holman confirmed that there will be a PlayStation 4, and that it would be released sometime after 2010 in an interview with SmartHouse.

"To say that there will be no PS4 because of a management change is a bit far fetched" he said.

Until the release of the PlayStation 4, there will be several upgrades for the PS3.

Source: PS3Insiders.com

http://www.ps3insiders.com/ps3/167290148.php

Good news for anyone interested. The competition between rivals will continue on for many years to come!

Although to be honest id rather they just push on with the PS3 worldwide release and get the damn thing out over here! haha

Wonder how this topic will turn out though :whistle:

isn't that a bit fast...considering that they haven't got the PS3 out everywhere. To me it shows they realise there is something wrong with the PS3, but that may just be me.

well its the cool thing to hate Sony now a days.. The Wii is a wonderful system and its by far the best of the three.. i do think the PS3 is a great system from a powerhouse standpoint.. the 360 is nowheres near the power of the PS3.

PS4? Duh. What I find interesting is how they openly say PS3 will receive 'upgrades.' When they say it like that, it sounds like more than just rearranging the insides to cut costs or giving it a new paint job. Think I'll definitely wait until Xmas 2007 to get mine......

isn't that a bit fast...considering that they haven't got the PS3 out everywhere. To me it shows they realise there is something wrong with the PS3, but that may just be me.

It says after 2010 in the article so I'm guessing that could mean any date up to something reasonable like 2014ish?

Basically its just confirmation that there will be a PS4 just now. I'm sure Sony doesn't even know when to release it just yet.

nope it's not a bit fast at all... Since companies always start there next console right after there release newest console... Since it will take at least 4 years or more before they finish doing research etc for the next one..

It's just like microsoft already confirming there next console.. An we might find out next year about nintendo confirming there next one for around the same time frame..

PS3 upgrades?

As in what, upgraded hardware?

Thats gonna suck for people who own PS3s with different hardware configurations.

i do think the PS3 is a great system from a powerhouse standpoint.. the 360 is nowheres near the power of the PS3.

Yawn they are more evenly matched in hardware than the xbox and ps2 were.

PS3 upgrades?

Thats gonna suck for people who own PS3s with different hardware configurations.

I'm thinking more official hard drive upgrades, new colours and things like that. Or slim PS3, we could do with one of them :laugh:

It better be anyway! :shiftyninja:

PS3 upgrades?

It can be taken either way. I don't think they will change the hardware configuration that much since as you say it will end up annoying early adopters - Look at the 360 and the rumors about a bigger hard disk. I think the upgrades refer to firmware updates.

Give the PS3 another 4-5 years and Sony will probably release a new version PS3 but knowing Sony and its ability of shrinking devices down its probably going to be 1/4 of the size of the current PS3.

Is the PS3 for sale yet?!

Look..NEWSFLASH!

I can confirm the release of the playstation 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10....

Consoles are like a movie franchise..as long as its a sucess and they can make money from it they will release it...

^ wow you guys are funny.

If you read about you would know there was rumours about there being no PS after the PS3 (due to the bad PS3 launch and other things). This article dispels that.

^ wow you guys are funny.

If you read about you would know there was rumours about there being no PS after the PS3 (due to the bad PS3 launch and other things). This article dispels that.

and after those rumors came out some Sony guy said there would be a PS4. Doesn't mean much really, it just seems like damage control. At any moment, if there actually is a real plan, it can get cancelled. Obviously Sony won't let go of a franchise like the PS so quickly. They might make mistakes like Nintendo did after ruling the console market, but look at the Wii now.

I found an old thread with the info: https://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?show...9683&hl=ps4

Edited by Ironman273

Well if the Ps3 is a bomb witch it seems to already be then Sony may relase a new one called PS4 witch be a Ps3 with all the updates and fixes oh and guess what it will be re branded to PS4 the one that works